Wow wow wow! Happy Valentine’s Day or whatever! Whether you’re coupled up or single AF, we’ve got PLENTY to keep you busy the next few days INCLUDING (but not limited to) multiple prom parties (one sad, one less sad), a new round of Tinder Live, an opportunity to take the SATs while drunk, a screening of Only Lovers Left Alive (our GIF theme) and MORE! Before we get into all of ye olde details, here are some great stories you might’ve missed on BYT this week while you were having the DTR talk with your are-we-or-aren’t-we-dating person!
- BUY TICKETS TO OUR TRUE CRIME FESTIVAL HAPPENING IN NYC NEXT MONTH, THEY’RE GOIN’ FAST!
- The Museum of the Dog is now open! I went to it and learned I am the human version of a Nederlandse Kooikerhondje. (FRIENDLY! ALERT! QUICK!)
- Jena Friedman is a comedian, so I talked to her about fascism and our dying democracy!
- Jake Weinstein and Sarah Naughton will transform into Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump on Friday! I talked to them all about that!
- “Is anyone in the band a white supremacist?” Here’s a handy list of things to ask yourself before buying band merch!
- Ever wish your job was to design greeting cards professionally? YOU DO NOW!
- We also had a great time at the latest installment of The Wild Honey Pie’s dinner series! Here’s why you should grab tickets to the next one!
- Here are the ten best fictional critics of all time, ranked!
- And we loved Isn’t It Romantic! Who knew!
Thursday, February 14
- First, may I suggest heading to Books Are Magic for a reading series specifically for people who hate Valentines Day and who are suffering from broken hearts?! There’ll be readings from writers Jessica Ciencin Henriquez, Brooke Williams, Emily Rapp Black, Rachel Fleit and Molly Rosen Guy. $10 suggested donation, proceeds will go to Planned Parenthood.
- For comedy vibes, you can catch the El-Salomons at Duplex for their Valentine’s Day Special! Love-themed variety shows FTW! Tickets are $10-$15 each.
- PLUS head to LPR for Runnin’ On Empty w/ Yotam and Lisa! Lineup includes Marie Faustin, Aparna Nancherla and MORE, and tickets are just $2-$3 each.
- Meanwhile, you can hang out with Matt Smith and Eliza Dushku as they talk Mapplethorpe at 92Y! Tickets are $35.
- Or if you FUCKING LOVE Morrissey and/or The Smiths, then probably spend your Valentine’s Day feelin’ all the feels at the Bell House! Tickets are $18-$25 each.
- In terms of tunes-tunes, you can head to Rough Trade for an $18 show from The Glorious Sons…
- …plus catch shows from Starchild and the New Romantic and/or Triathalon at Elsewhere! The first will run you $12, while the latter is $17.
- PERSONALLY I feel like we should all just keep affordably dancin’ on our own at another free round of PAT Party w/ JD Samson at Union Pool!
- OR if you’re in the mood to go to prom, then get to Public Arts for a free prom party!
Friday, February 15
- CLEARLY make a beeline for 92Y for a special screening and conversation between Amy Sedaris, accompanied by Paul Dinello, and Schitt’s Creek creator and star Daniel Levy! Tickets are $40 each.
- You can also head to Feinstein’s/54 Below for JAVANKA: Back In New York tonight! (Everyone loves Jared and Ivanka themed showtunes!!!) Tickets are $25+.
- In terms of tunes-tunes, you can head to Music Hall of Williamsburg for a $28-$30 show from The Devil Makes Three!
- Meanwhile, it’s the 20th annual Love Hangover ft. duets about L-O-V-E at Bowery Electric! Over 50 performers, and tickets are just $10 a pop.
- Or if you’re a mega Joji fan, then get to Bowery Ballroom for a $25 show!
- More into cover bands? Get to Berlin for Sad Prom ft. tributes to Joy Division, The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees! Tickets are $10.
- But if 2000s disco punk is more your jam, then probably definitely hit up the Knitting Factory for the latest round of Take Me Out! Free w/ RSVP.
- Just real hungry? Get to a new round of Smorgasburg x VICE’s night market at Villain! Admission is free, but buying tickets for $25+ gets you perks. Peruse ’em here.
Saturday, February 16
- To start, you can get drunk and take the SAT at Caveat! No, really! You can! Sloshed SATs is a real thing! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- For LOLs, head to Union Hall! There are TWO shows on deck tonight, the first being That Shit Ray w/ Rachel Pegram and Rachel Joravsky, followed by Pop Show w/ Ziwe Fumudoh! Both shows are $8-$10 each.
- It’s also a new round of Tinder Live w/ Lane Moore at Littlefield! Tonight’s guests include Jean Grae, Jo Firestone and Sam Grittner, and tickets are $15 each.
- (Plus stick around for Be Cute after that // all of the queer dance vibes for $10.)
- If le cinema is more your jam, chug a coffee and head to Nitehawk Williamsburg for midnight screenings of Only Lovers Left Alive and Lords of Chaos!
- In terms of tunes, you can hit up Merkin Hall for a $25 show from Deerhoof and Tigue!
- You can also catch Interpol at MSG for $85+…
- …or head to White Eagle Hall for The Sun Ra Arkestra! Tickets are $20 each.
- If you just wanna d-d-d-d-dance, then get to Schimanski for a $30 Chromeo DJ set, duh!
- Plus He. She. They. is happening at 99 Scott and will feature sets from Maya Jane Coles, Heidi, Kim Ann Foxman and Lauren Flax! Tickets to that are $35!
- OR if you love Steven Universe, there’s a cosplay dance party happening at Brooklyn Bazaar for $15+! Genres to be played include drum & bass, UK hardcore, psytrance, dubstep and moombahton.
Sunday, February 17
- Kick things off with some b-b-b-b-brunch over at Nitehawk, where Love Simon is screening at 11am!
- Or hit up House of Yes for a new round of DEEP BEATS YOGA! Tickets are $25.
- You can also head to Chinatown for the Lunar New Year Parade at 1pm! (IT IS MY FAVORITE THING, YOU GUYS!)
- I should ALSO mention that it’s the NYC Corgi Meetup at Hillside Dog Park today. So if you wanna go creep on some real good boys, then this is your chance!
- In terms of comedy, you can swing by Union Hall for a new round of #ADULTING w/ Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos! Tickets are $10 each.
- Or if you just wanna dance your face off, then grab a $25+ ticket to spend the evening w/ Horse Meat Disco at Elsewhere!
- PLUS Tiki Disco is happening back at House of Yes! Tickets to that are $20+.
- Just wanna watch a movie, though? It’s a new round of Green Screen (the new BBQ Films series) at Chelsea Music Hall, and today’s immersive 4:20pm screening is Friday! Tickets are $20+. (We strongly recommend you grab the munchie box package.)