Can you guess what I am currently doing to take advantage of my exciting, fast-paced life in NYC? I am watching Secrets of the Dead on PBS. Tonight’s episode is about Hannibal’s war elephants. (Carbon dating is the only kind of dating I do, you guys.) Despite this nerdery, I am in fact here to tell you how to live your life the next few days. (I DO know what I am talking about, I just really love my couch and the silence!) Plenty going on this weekend, from a new round of that beyond perfect blog haus dance party, a free BBQ at Barnard ft. sets by Palehound and Weaves, hang times with Nigella Lawson, a $4 screening of Drop Dead Gorgeous (our GIF theme) and MORE!
Before we dive into the details of all of that, here’s some rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- I interviewed Gaby Dunn about the new season of Bad With Money, which kicked off yesterday!
- I also interviewed Robert Dean about his debut comedy album, which is out TODAY!
- We went inside Asha Elana Casey’s artist studio and it was GOALS!
- I told you that I want a lot of stuff from the Internet for the Royal Wedding.
- Plus we premiered The Suzan’s endearing AF new video for “Tokyo” yesterday, so GO WATCH IT ALREADY!
THURSDAY, APRIL 12
- Let’s kick things off with some t-t-t-t-tunes dot com! For instance, Millionyoung’s got an album release party at Baby’s All Right! Tickets are $15.
- Speaking of release parties, A Place To Bury Strangers has one at Elsewhere! Tickets are $17 a pop.
- Or if that ain’t your jam, get to Brooklyn Steel for a $30 show from L7 and Death Valley Girls…
- …although we’d highly recommend hitting up Mercury Lounge for a $10 Dear Rouge gig!
- You could also always fold comedy ‘n magic into your music mix over at Union Hall, where a new round of Ophira & Adira is happening for $10 tonight!
- (Plus stick around for SEE YOU IN HELL! ft. very funny humans like Doug Smith, Claudia Cogan and more after that! Tickets are just $8.)
- Or just head on over to UCB East for your LOLs, ’cause it’s a new round of Lasers In The Jungle ft. Giulia Rozzi, Robby Huffman and more! Tickets are $9.
- (PLUS, as I mentioned earlier, you can head to Dean Street for Robert Dean’s album release show!)
- More into food stuff? OBVIOUSLY make a beeline for Barnes & Noble Tribeca, where (provided you purchase a copy of At My Table in-store TODAY to get a wristband) you can catch a glimpse of the one and only NIGELLA LAWSON!
FRIDAY, APRIL 13
- First, it’s Friday the goddamn 13th! First, get to Magic Cobra for $130 palm-sized, full-color flash tattoos! (Bring $20 extra for tip!)
- And after you get that brand new ink, head to Union Hall for a goddamn Prince Sing-Along! Tickets are $10.
- Or go drown your bad luck sorrows at Brooklyn Brewer’s Beer Mansion! It’s happening tonight and tomorrow night at Weylin, and tickets will run you $65-$120.
- Don’t mind a trek out to Jersey City? Catch M. Ward at White Eagle Hall for $24!
- Broke as hell? Hit up the Ace Hotel for YouTooCanWoo’s FREE DJ residency!
- Just wanna get weird? Obviously head to CHERYL’s Goth Party for Ravers at Secret Project Robot! Tickets are only $5 each!
- You can also head to a glow in the dark roller skating party in Brooklyn! Tickets are $10-$15 each, and skate rental is $5.
- Or like, just go watch Wild Things at midnight at Nitehawk! YOU DO YOU!
SATURDAY, APRIL 14
- First, it’s the annual WBAR-B-Q at Barnard! Free and open to the public, and featuring performances by Palehound, Weaves ‘n more!
- AND if you’re in need of some new house plants, be sure to hit up the NYC Plant Swap at lululemon HUB Seventeen! Tickets are $7.50-$10.
- You should also make a point to save some energy for a new Be Cute Brooklyn over at Littlefield tonight // all of the queer dance vibes for $5-$10!
- AND/OR head to the Knitting Factory for a new round of DANCE – A Blog Haus Night! Free w/ RSVP!
- Unless you’re too hung up at the Bell House, where tonight’s A Drinking Game is Wayne’s World themed! Tickets are $15.
- (Plus stick around for tonight’s edition of Party Like It’s 1999, which is Backstreet Boys themed and, as always, F-R-E-E!)
- For comedy vibes, head to Union Hall for a new round of Dark Spots ft. Shane Torres, Mike Drucker and more! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- (It’s also a new round of Book Club tonight ft. Blythe Roberson, Colin Stokes and more! Tickets are also $8-$10.)
- If watching a movie is more your speed, hit up Videology for a $20 screening of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl ft. bonus shot o’ Mount Gay rum!
- Or do what I will be doing, aka posting up at Syndicated for $4 screenings of Drop Dead Gorgeous and Heathers!
SUNDAY, APRIL 15
- First, if you couldn’t get enough Nigella earlier this week, she’s going to be in conversation at 92Y tonight! Tickets are $40+.
- Tunes-wise, hit up Baby’s All Right for a show from Ed Schrader’s Music Beat! Tickets are just $10-$12 a pop.
- You can also catch FRENSHIP and Yoke Lore at Bowery Ballroom for $20-$50!
- Plus Titus Andronicus will be at Murmrr Theatre for $$20-$25. If you’re into that.
- More into comedy? Get to Max Fish for Sunday Roast ft. Shane Torres, Casey James Salengo and more! FREE!
- If le cinema is your jam, swing on by Videology for a $25 screening of Holes ft. bonus peach daiquiri!
- (You should also stick around for a $20 live-scored screening of Planet Earth II: Jungles!)
- Just wanna drink away the Sunday Scaries? Celebrate Tørst’s 5th anniversary! That’s plenty of an excuse to get blitzed!