Hi, all. This edition of NYC Best Weekend Bets has been carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress on your part over the course of the next few days. It features a little something for everyone (music, movies, weird theatre, free drinks, etc.) and will be punctuated with inspirational images of Andy Samberg because, well, I can’t really think of any reason not to punctuate this with inspirational images of Andy Samberg.
(Apologies for the Bieber interlude)
Before we kick off though: do sign up to get this as a newsletter/tell all your friends to sign up for it too + follow us on twitter @BYTNYC so you can keep track of all the fun content to come.
OK-Ready for the weekend now?
- OK–so more than anything else–this seems like a pretty great way to spend a Thursday evening: Wyatt Cenac from Daily Show hosts a Mystery Science Theater for Blaxsploitation films (working title: Shouting at the Screen with Wyatt Cenac @ Re:Bar)
- also movie related: it was just announced this week that the Dekalb Market will close later this year (to apparently make room for Century 21-for real), so enjoy their bike-in movie series while you can. Tonight: Triplets of Belleville.
- SHOWS-WISE: Young Magic and Quilt are playing Glasslands. + four bands with great names (The Neighbors/ Stone Cold Fox/ Dancing/ Doubting Thomas) are playing the Cake Shop.
- and Thrillcall launches with a solid show @ The Box feat. Ra Ra Riot and Lissie Trullie
- and after air guitar last week-Air Sex Championships get its day in the sun (or its night under the stars, as the case may be)
- also, you guys-Tenacious D @ Hammerstein Ballroom. Not worth $70 (ok, $68.5) imo but worth making someone pay $70 (ok, $68.5) and take you.
- Check out the stellar lineup of DJ Sliink / Valentino Khan / TWRK / Alex Englishat Webster Hall and dance away the cold
- Del Close Marathon has 1000s of shows all weekend, some famous comedians always show up. This one stars Jean Ralphio from Parks and Rec (!!!!!!!!!)… But this one has writers from 30 Rock AND writers from the fake show on 30 Rock. Go to both.
- at the Galapagos Art Space it is super-cool-girl-hang-time with Kristen Schaal, Eleanor Friedberger and Jessi Klein all together (at last)
- UndergroundZero festival kicks off tonight, with a FREE party. Everyone loves a free party.
- in search of (sort of) culture and free drinks? Nate “IGOR” Smith’s photo show opens @ Mishka, and cocktails are provided by Sailor Jerry. There is an afterparty too.
- Get all sorts of emotional with Glenn Hansard @ Beacon Theatre
- or fall hard for those Scottish popstars Veronica Falls @ The South street seaport (for free) . Check out our listening party with them to get in the mood.
- also free: a screening of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN @ The Narrows Botanical Gardens
- things to do during daytime:
- go to the Snacky Tunes Block Party Blow-Out at the City Winery: $45 gets you 8 food servings (one from each chef involved), a DJ set by the dude from Lemonade and some other stuff. Should be fun.
- casually stalk Lena Duhnam in Brooklyn Heights, where she JUST moved.
- check out the supremely haunting Rineke Dijkstra retrospective @ The Guggenheim
- at night:
- lots of funny people over at STAND UP NY
- one of BYT’s ultimate music brain crushes Spencer Krug is playing Bowery Ballroom as Moonface. We have a great interview with him coming up tomorrow so-check back in.
- White Rabbits are playing a free show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. RSVP HERE.
- also: RAC+Body Language+Brooklyn Bowl=good times.
- funny girl Nikki Glaser is, well, very funny.
- the best kind of music to listen on a lazy, summer Sunday is laid back country. So-Futurebirds @ Bell House win that vote.
LEAVE US COMMENTS WITH THINGS YOU THINK WE MAY HAVE (not on purpose) MISSED. And remember: if you have tips, an event you want to let us know about or would like to get involved with BYT NYC, shoot us an email at: [email protected] with #BYTNYC in the title. See you around and all the time.
And, a final note: