Hello and welcome back to another weekend! We’re gonna have a whole variety of temperatures going on the next four days, so have fun dressing for that! ‘Cause there’s a lot of great stuff to do, meaning you DO have to get off your couch at some point, sorry! We’re talkin’ Oregon Trail Live! A spellwriting class! A first look at a new ARTECHOUSE installation! A chat with the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen staff! (It’s sold out but I’m including it anyway because I love the BA Test Kitchen more than I love myself! Also, it is our GIF theme // NOT SORRY!) We’re gonna get into all ye olde details momentarily, but first, here’s some REAL KOOL KONTENT you might’ve missed if you were too busy watching your stocks plummet due to “CARONAVIRUS”-induced fear!
- OH MY GOD DEATH BECOMES US (BYT’s true crime fest, and also America’s favorite true crime fest) IS BACK IN NYC IN APRIL GET V. PUMPED! (ALSO GET V. TICKETS!)
- I finally got a library card and oh my god WHY DIDN’T I DO IT SOONER.
- Sorry to ruin your day, but not all cheese is vegetarian!
- Here are the Instagram stories we NEVER EVER (EVER) allow ourselves to miss!
- Our film team weighed in on some flicks! From best to worst: Beanpole, Call of the Wild, The Lodge!
- And remember that show where they tried to see if a human man could eat more hot dogs than a bear? ‘Cause WE SURE DO.
Thursday February 27
- OBVIOUSLY my top pick is happening at 92Y; Behind-the-Scenes Conversation with the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen will feature a chat w/ Andy Baraghani! Brad Leone! Carla Lalli Music! Chris Morocco! Christina Chaey! Claire Saffitz! Gaby Melian! Molly Baz! Priya Krishna! And Sohla El-Waylly! (And Adam, but nobody really cares!) Tickets are flippin’ SOLD OUT, but you can get on the wait list and pray to the BA Test Kitchen gods to get in!
- But a close second goes to NPR’s Ask Me Another at the Bell House, ’cause the one and only Larry Owens is the guest of honor! Tickets are $15.
- Moving into cinematic territory, Nitehawk Williamsburg is hosting a special screening of Blood on Her Name ft. bonus Q+A w/ director/writer Matthew Pope, co-writer Don M. Thompson and actress Bethany Anne Lind!
- In terms of tunes, hit up the Sultan Room for a $12 show from Toebow, mmeadows and more!
- AND we’ve got American Authors over at Webster Hall for $25!
- Meanwhile, GARZA (ft. Rob Garza of Thievery Corporation) is at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $25…
- …and Widespread Panic will be at Beacon Theatre for $51+!
- But maybe you’re gay 4 Inigo Montoya, in which case hit up Littlefield for The Princess Bride Entirely From Memory! Tickets are $12.
- Just wanna LEARN ABOUT BOOZE?! Head to Brooklyn Brainery for a course called The History of Gin! Tickets are $13.
Friday February 28
- For starters, you can hang out with the one and only Trixie Mattel at Webster Hall tonight! Tickets will run you in the neighborhood of $90+.
- Meanwhile, Town Hall will present the Lena Horne Prize celebrating Solange Knowles! Tickets start at $102.
- Plus we’ve got ROUND TWO of Widespread Panic at Beacon Theatre, and this time tickets are going for $80+!
- Or if you just wanna cut a rug, go hang out w/ Pangaea / Galcher Lustwerk / Lauren Flax at Basement NY! Tickets are $15+.
- Personally I vote we all make a beeline for C’mon Everybody, ’cause there’s a new round of Róisín vs Robyn vs Björk, a party which is exactly what it sounds like! Tickets are just $5 a pop.
- For comedy vibes, post up at Union Hall for 1. Cheap Date Comedy Show – Black History Month Edition w/ Sharron Paul and Calvin Cole ft. Joyelle Nicole Johnson, Josh Gondelman and more ($8-$10) and/or 2. WALT w/ Tracy Soren, Angela Palladino and Julian Edward Williams ft. Zach Zimmerman, Rachel Pegram and more ($8-$10)!
- You can also hit up Caveat for 1. She Makes Me Laugh ft. Melissa Stokoski, Fareeha Khan and more ($15-$20) and/or 2. a new round of Ride or Die: Oregon Trail Live ($20)!
- Or if you’re just in the mood to learn some dope ass shit, head to Catland for Intro to Practical Spellwriting! Tickets are $15.
Saturday February 29
- For starters, scope ARTECHOUSE NYC’s newest installation, Intangible Forms by Shohei Fujimoto, before anyone else! (If you haven’t peeped ARTECHOUSE NYC yet, by the way, it is NEXT LEVEL DOPE DOT COM, and v. IG-worthy.) You can save up to 50% off regular priced tickets when you visit today or tomorrow // it’s a no-brainer!
- Or work up to that and instead start off at Nitehawk Prospect Park, where there’s a brunch screening of Brokeback Mountain!
- Or if that’s too flippin’ early for you, then just post up at Metrograph for an 11:30pm (WOW WOW WOW LATE NIGHT!!!) screening of Bergman’s Persona! (V. HIGHBROW!)
- You can also hang out w/ Seth Rogen and Martha Stewart at 92Y to benefit Hilarity for Charity! Tickets are $70.
- If comedy is more your jam, hit up Union Hall for 1. Martin Urbano: Registered Stand-Up Comedian ft. Jo Firestone, Chanel Ali and Kelsey Caine ($8-$10) and/or 2. Sandwich w/ Gastor Almonte and Jess Salomon ft. Rob Haze, Sarah Hennessey and more ($8)!
- Plus over at Caveat we’ve got 1. Rape Victims Are Horny Too: Comedy and Music About Healing From Trauma ft. Kelly Bachman and Dylan Adler ($12-$15) and 2. Drunk Black History w/ Brandon Collins and Gordon Baker-Bone ft. Chanel Ali, Jay Jurden and more ($15-$20)!
- In tunes territory, we’ve got John Maus and Boy Harsher at Knockdown Center for $30+!
- You can also scope Chelsea Cutler over at Terminal 5 for $28…
- …or if you don’t mind a little trek out to Jersey, White Eagle Hall will host We Were Promised Jetpacks for $20-$22!
- Meanwhile, Widespread Panic will be at Beacon Theatre for NIGHT THREE! And NOW tickets will run you $147+! YIKES DOT COM!
- If you’re more into dancin’, travel back to 2008 via #Justice4Discipline at C’mon Everybody, a party celebrating Janet Jackson’s DISCIPLINE! Tickets are $5.
- Plus Viceroy will be servin’ up some real good late-night tuneage at Elsewhere starting at 11pm! Tickets are $20+.
Sunday March 1
- Kicking things off with major party vibes, Saravá! Yes Carnaval is happening at House of Yes! Tickets are $15-$25.
- You can also celebrate Harry Belafonte’s 93rd birthday at the Apollo ft. special guests Common, Maxwell, Sheila E., Talib Kweli, Aloe Blacc and more! Tickets start at $58, and 100% of proceeds will benefit The Popular Democracy Movement Center!
- Speaking of birthday celebrations, a tribute to Lou Reed is happening at the Bowery Electric! Loads of performers, and tickets’ll run you $20.
- You can also scope Widespread Panic (AGAIN) at Beacon Theatre, this time for $60+!
- Or if you’re a Bernie fan, hit up a fundraiser at Baby’s All Right ft. Jigsaw Youth, XHOSA and more! Tickets are $15-$20.
- Over in LOL town, we’ve got Zach Zimmerman: Gay But Not Too Fabulous at Union Hall! Tickets are $10-$12 each.
- And at Caveat, meanwhile, there’s the v. timely Asians Strike Back: A Coronavirus Comedy & Science Show w/ Kyle Marian and Esther Chen! Tickets are $15-$20.
- Just wanna watch a GOD DANG MOVIE?! Metrograph is showing Beverly Hills Cop tonight, hell yeah!