Hello and welcome back to another weekend! This week has stretched on for three hundred years already, do you or do you not agree?! Fortunately there’s plenty to do the next few days to make up for all ye olde misery INCLUDING but not limited to CATVIDEOFEST at Nitehawk Prospect Park, vegan markets, astrology classes, a special screening of Melancholia (our GIF theme, ’cause that’s a BIG big mood) and MORE! (The only thing I am doing is going to my friend’s house to play Dungeons & Dragons on Saturday night! I am a halfling rogue named Milo Thorngage, thank you for asking!) Before we get into the details, let’s first talk about all the rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy watching your Valentine’s Day flowers die!
- I talked to David Gray about the 20th anniversary of White Ladder, which is p. bonkers!
- Here’s why The Outlaw Ocean Music Project is the only soundtrack that matters!
- We thought Portrait Of A Lady On Fire was SUPER GOOD. Like, 100% out of 100% good!
- (Downhill…not so much.)
- Karen Chee is our FUNNY HUMAN OF THE WEEK for all of these reasons! (Possibly more!)
- And we caught shows from Maris and Saint Motel, and they were real real good!
Thursday February 20
- Kicking things off in comedy land, we’ve got a new round of Chris Gethard’s All Stars at Union Hall! Tickets are $10 each.
- At Littlefield, meanwhile, it’s another edition of Super Video Bros. w/ Mike Brown and Dillon Stevenson ft. Gastor Almonte, Gordon Baker-Bone and Kerry Coddett! Tickets are $15.
- In tunes territory, we’ve got Stray Fossa at Berlin for just $10!
- AND Kat Cunning’s at The Broadway for $15!
- If you happen to possess slightly more dough, we’ve also got Kamasi Washington at Kings Theatre for $50+…
- …plus Billy Joel’s at MSG for $105+…
- …AND Jill Scott’s at Radio City for $120+!
- Just wanna cut a flippin’ (budget-friendly) rug? Get to House of Yes for the Pon De Replay edition of Dirty Thursday! All the Rihanna you can handle, all for free!
Friday February 21
- FIRSTLY, I’m gonna highly recommend hitting up the Bell House for the Mrs. Doubtfire edition of A Drinking Game NYC! Tickets are $18.
- For even more comedy vibes, head to Union Hall for 1. Get Reel: Super Reel w/ Max Wittert and Joe Castle Baker ($10) and/or 2. Puke Fest ft. Mo Fry Pasic, Shalewa Sharpe and more ($10-$12)!
- More into dance parties? There’s a new round of Everybody, Everybody at C’mon Everybody! As usual, just $5!
- Or if felines on film are more in your wheelhouse, you’ll be glad to hear that CATVIDEOFEST 2020 kicks off at Nitehawk Prospect Park today!
- (There’s also another late-night screening of Cats at Syndicated!)
- In terms of tunes, you should most definitely hit up Elsewhere for a $20-$22 Elohim gig!
- You can also grab a copy of Purr’s new record to take advantage of a free signing ‘n performance at Rough Trade…
- …AND Wilsen will be doing a free LP release show over there, too!
Saturday February 22
- Starting with tunes, my top pick tonight is Bag Raiders and Argonaut & Wasp at Music Hall of Williamsburg! Tickets are $20.
- Don’t mind a trip out to NJ? Catch Screaming Females and Mal Blum at White Eagle Hall for $20-$22!
- You can also scope Laurie Gibson and The Natvral at City Vineyard! Tickets are $20.
- And while Disco Tehran is sold out online, you can allegedly grab some very limited quantity $30 tickets at the door, so make sure to get to The Sultan Room early if you want in!
- Or if all of that feels too #LOWBROW for you, get on the waitlist for A Spatial Sound Lab Hosted by Laurie Anderson & Arto Lindsay at National Sawdust!
- Moving into cinema town, you should get to Metrograph for an evening screening of Mulholland Drive!
- PLUS there’s a special screening of Emma at Angelika Film Center ft. bonus Q&A with Anya Taylor-Joy following the 7pm show!
- In terms of LOLs, A Better Me Is Coming w/ Amy Zimmer is SOLD OUT at Union Hall, but you can still grab $8-$10 tickets to a new round of Lo-Fi NYC ft. Karen Chee, Blythe Roberson, Rachel Pegram and more!
- If queer daytime parties are more your jam, get to C’mon Everybody for Yes Homo! As usual, 100% free!
- Or maybe you’re just into occult retail therapy, in which case head to this month’s Witch World: Spiritual Art Market at Catland! No cover!
Sunday February 23
- For starters, ARE YOU HUNGRY?! Get to Market Hotel’s Vegan Market from noon until 5pm today!
- But let’s also fully tap into those Sunday Scaries w/ a screening of Melancholia at Metrograph, duh!
- Unless you’re more in the mood for tunes, in which case get to Avant Gardner for Tunnel Reunion Party featuring: Megan Thee Stallion & Funk Flex! Tickets are $45.
- It’s also a new round of Deep Space at Public Records! Admission is $11.50.
- More down 2 ROFL? Swing by Littlefield for a new round of Comedians You Should Know ft. Judah Friedlander, Nathan Macintosh, Aminah Imani, Carmen Lagala, Damon Sumner and Mike Lebovitz! Tickets are $8-$10.
- I’d also highly recommend posting up at Union Hall for 1. Beer, Books & Buds w/ Derrick C. Brown, Amber Tamblyn & Some Fake Ass Friends ($10) and/or 2. a new round of Phoebe Robinson & Friends ($15)!
- AND we’ve got Jo Firestone and Myq Kaplan at EastVille for $15!
- Of course, if you’re more in the mood to learn something, maybe hit up Brooklyn Brainery for Fundamentals of Astrology! Admission is $35.