Wow, Valentine’s Day 2020, haha so exciting! I bet you are all so excited haha!
You: slowly raises hand “…I am not excited, Megan…”
Me: Oh thank god! I would think you were a real big nerd if you were! LUV IS 4 L0S3RS! (Or at least people who are not as emotionally unavailable as me, idk lol!)
My point is, there’s stuff to do that doesn’t revolve around Y-O-U being P-A-R-T-N-E-R-E-D this weekend INCLUDING but not limited to a Drew Barrymore movie marathon, a class on how to do magic with poisonous plants, a Harry Styles dance party (our GIF theme, SORRY NOT SORRY) and more! Before we get into all of the specifics, here’s some rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy continuing to wonder why Eminem was at the Oscars or whatever!
- I don’t need a Valentine because I have cheerleading shows!
- Our movie reviews last week were surprisingly positive! Yes to Birds of Prey, The Assistant and The Traitor!
- Here’s why we think Sydnee Washington is the funniest of all time!
- We had a real great time at shows from SIAMÉS + CLAVVS and Cold War Kids + Overcoats!
- I went to the Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade and yes there was a dragon wearing a Yang Gang MATH beanie!
Thursday February 13
- Are you a FLIPPIN’ HOPELESS ROMANTIC? Head on over to Nitehawk Prospect Park for a $15 screening of Casablanca, then!
- If you’re more into LOLs, though, then just post up at Caveat for BackFat Variety’s 5th annual BACKFATLORETTE ($10-$12) and/or America’s Next Top Cult ($12-$15)!
- Plus Friends & Lovers will host a new round of RUNAWAYS ft. Conner McNutt, Wilfred Padua and more! FREE!
- Of course, if you’d prefer a more culinary experience, get to Archestratus for a new round of Cookbook Club! This go ’round it’s a potluck based on MUNCHIES Guide to Dinner: How to Feed Yourself and Your Friends, and it’s free to attend so long as you bring a dish to share from the cookbook!
- In terms of tunes, we’ve got an Echosmith show at Le Poisson Rouge! Tickets are $25.
- You can also catch Okay Kaya w/ Zenizen at National Sawdust for $20…
- …plus DAWN will be at Mercury Lounge for $25!
- Or maybe you’re just in the mood to dance fo’ FREE, in which case get to Union Pool for a new round of PAT Party!
Friday February 14
- For starters, OBVIOUSLY get to Market Hotel for Adore You: A Party Dedicated to the Music of Harry Styles, duh! Tickets are $5-$15 each.
- There’s also a Prince party at Baby’s All Right which sounds p. tite! Tickets start at $5. (AND there’s a $15 Beatles party over there, too. Maybe cool it a little with the tribute parties, buddies…?)
- But if you wanna spend your Valentine’s Day at a show-show, my top pick goes to Anna of the North at Bowery Ballroom! Tickets are $20-$22.
- We’ve also got a Museum of Love DJ set happening at Last Light for $10+!
- Meanwhile, CHRISTEENE an tha’ instruments: eXchanges et special guests is happening at the Sultan Room at Turk’s Inn for $20-$25…
- …AND you can swing by a Planned Parenthood benefit at TV Eye! Everybody from Shilpa Ray to Cassie Ramone will be performing, and tickets start at just $10.
- For all ye olde feels, head to the Bell House for Valentine’s Day w/ The Smiths ft. The Sons & Heirs! Tickets are $20-$25.
- Or just head on over to Union Hall for Emo Sing-Along! Tickets are $10 each.
- AND (in keeping with this theme), you can hit up Littlefield for It’s Friday, I’m (Not) In Love Anti-Valentine’s Party! Tickets are $7.
- Plus Royal Palms will host Lonely Hearts Club Sad Song Sing-a-long ft. every damn breakup song in the book! (Yes, they’re also taking requests!)
Saturday February 15
- Kicking things off in tunes territory, we’ve got ROUND TWO of Anna of the North in NYC, and this time she’s at Elsewhere for a $20-$22 gig!
- (You can also stick around for DJ sets from Classixx, Little Boots and more! Tickets are $20+.)
- Meanwhile, it’s a new round of Live from Here w/ Chris Thile at Town Hall ft. everybody from Real Estate to Indigo Girls! Tickets to that’ll run you $61+.
- More into #FEELS? Hit up Sad Prom 2 at Mercury Lounge ft. tributes to The Cure, Joy Division and Siouxsie and the Banshees! Tickets are $12-$15.
- For ultra-queer dance party vibes, get to Littlefield! It’s another round of Be Cute Brooklyn starting at 11pm, and tickets are $10.
- PLUS it’s Bad Romance: A Gaga Vday Party at C’mon Everybody starting at 11pm, too! Tickets to that one are $5.
- (And if you get there early, you can catch a Valentine’s edition of Young Hot Sluts w/ Carly Ann Filbin! Tickets are $12.)
- Or if you’re more into movies, just post up for a late-night screening of Clueless! Tickets are $16.
Sunday February 16
- Hello are you v. hungover? Start your day off with alcohol in a dark room! Yes, Nitehawk Prospect Park is doing a $15 brunch screening of Sabrina! Yes, Nitehawk Williamsburg is doing a $15 brunch screening of Valley Girl! Yes, Metrograph is doing a $16 brunch screening of Clueless! (YES, ALL OF THE BRUNCH SCREENINGS!)
- Or if you’re REALLY in it to win it, you’ll get to Alamo Drafthouse starting at noon for a goddamn MARATHON of Drew Barrymore movies! Tickets are $45.
- “I am not hungover, Megan. I love my brain too much for that kind of tomfoolery!” WELL FINE, get to Brooklyn Brainery for what sounds like a p. dope $50 course on how to paint and sculpt with bioluminescent organisms!
- You can also learn all about microdosing at Caveat for $15-$20…
- …or get to Catland for a $15 intro to using poisonous plants for the purposes of magic!
- Later, for comedy vibes, head on over to Union Hall for Never Seen It w/ Kyle Ayers ft. Jean Grae, Taylor Garron, Tommy McNamara and Robert Dean! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- Meanwhile, it’s Still Living! at C’mon Everybody ft. Anna Sereghina, Clare O’Kane, Peter BD, Morgan Bassichis and Jess Henderson! Tickets are $7.
- In terms of tunes, we’ve got a $10 show from Cheekface, Bad Moves and gobbinjr happening at Rough Trade!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Get to House of Yes for Tiki Disco! Tickets are $15-$25 each.
- Plus Avant Gardner will host Life and Death NY ft. DJ Tennis, Moodymann, Öona Dahl and more! Kicks off at noon and goes REAL REAL LATE, and tickets start at $25.