Wow what a week amirite?! There are a lot of things I could say about it, but instead I am choosing to tell you about how yesterday I witnessed a falcon wreak havoc on a Park Slope playground! It was gigantic! People were running and screaming to avoid its menacing dives, its tremendous talons, its pure majesty! IT WAS P. RAD, TBH! (Bonus detail: this is what I was listening to at the time, which is, I think, really great as far as bonus details are concerned.)
Anyway, now our weekend is on the wing! We’re gonna talk about ALL your great options on deck the next few days, like dance parties! A p. queer Saturday! The Lunar New Year Parade! The Oscars! A Mariah vs Whitney dance party, aka our GIF theme!
BUT BEFORE WE GET INTO ALL OF THAT…here’s some D0P3 C0NT3NT you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy screaming into the abysmal abyss that is America 2020!
- We announced our Future Is Festival down in DC March 26th-29th! Finally, a weekend of people we can all agree on! That’s worth a DC trip, so please do consider!
- Here’s why we think February 2020 is gonna rule dot com ft. new records from La Roux and King Krule, shows from Anna of the North and Bag Raiders, a feckin’ LEGO competition and MORE!
- “Playing in prisons is a lot easier than playing in high schools.” Here’s a chat I had w/ Haley Shea of Norway’s Sløtface!
- And we went to TORRES’ record release show on Friday // it was P. TIIIIIITE!
Thursday February 6
- For starters, get to 92Y to hang out w/ Executive Producers Lee Eisenberg, Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani for a screening and conversation of Apple TV+’s Little America! Tickets are $40 each.
- For even more screen vibes, you can hit up Nitehawk Prospect Park for the Valentine’s edition of Spoons, Toons ‘n Booze After Dark! Tickets are $18.
- Movin’ on into tunes territory, we’ve got Tayla Parx w/ Alex Mali and DJ Stassi at Baby’s All Right! Tickets are $18 a pop.
- Meanwhile, Poppy is set to take the stage over at Brooklyn Steel for $25…
- …and we’ve got Nation of Language and pronoun at The Dance for $15!
- Just wanna dance with reckless abandon or whatever? Grab a $20 ticket to Com Truise’s DJ set at Good Room!
- PLUS Juliana Huxtable & Friends will take over Boiler Room for $17.25!
- Broke dot com and need a gig that’ll not break ye olde bank? Just get on the RSVP list to catch a free show from Future Punx, Honduras and Realworld at Planet X!
- Or to get back on those dance vibes, you can head to House of Yes for this week’s Dirty Thursday // free as usual!
Friday February 7
- Start out at Moving Image for a talk with the creative minds behind The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance! Free w/ RSVP!
- For LAUGHTER, head on over to Union Hall for a new round of Whiplash ft. Shalewa Sharpe, Doug Smith, Samantha Ruddy and Dulcé Sloan! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- More into tunes? If I were you I’d pop by The Sultan Room for a set from bottoms! Tickets are $10+.
- But if you love you some Amber Liu, then put on a brave face and trek over to Terminal 5 for her $28 show tonight!
- Or maybe you just wanna cut a goddamn rug, in which case OBVIOUSLY head to C’mon Everybody for Whitney vs Mariah, a dance party which is exactly what it sounds like! Tickets’ll run you $5.
- (Unless you have ALL of the funds, in which case catch Charlotte de Witte at Avant Gardner for fifty bones!)
- Meanwhile it’s this month’s House of Grooves w/ Eli Escobar at House of Yes! Tickets are $15-$30.
- AND you can scope DJ Seinfeld + Toribio at 88 Palace for $15-$25!
- Just hungry dot com? Get to Archestratus for Millicent’s Coq Au Vin Dinner, another thing which is exactly what it sounds like! Tickets are $40.
- But in the event you’re just trying to punish yourself tonight, head to Syndicated for a free screening of the Democratic Presidential Primary Debate! (If I were you, I’d just go for the late-night $7 screening of Cats, which is somehow shaping up to be less of a train wreck! Wow what a cool and exciting time to be alive!)
Saturday February 8
- Kick things off at Nitehawk Prospect Park with a $15 screening of Moonlight!
- For even more queer vibes, just make sure to get to C’mon Everybody for the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY (WOW WOW WOW) of Yes Homo! Starts at 5pm, free as usual!
- (And if you’re lookin’ for even more good times afterwards, stick around for a new round of A Party Called Rosie Perez! Starts at 11pm, runs ’til 4am, $5-$10 a ticket.)
- And since we are on a queer roll over here, we should also obviously shout out this week’s Romy & Michele 3pm tea dance at Club Cumming! Free! (Also, I forgive them for incorrectly spelling ‘Michele’ with two L’s! One L is illogical! “Ilogical”, if you will!)
- (AND if you can scrounge up $10 in the meanwhile, it’s this week’s Haus of Cumming starting at 10pm!)
- In terms of show-shows, I’d highly recommend scopin’ Youbet, Lina Tullgren, Maneka and Joanna Sternberg at Alphaville for just $10-$12!
- We’ve also got Kaye, Gemma and Bright Light Bright Light (DJ) at The Sultan Room for $15-$18…
- …or if you’ve got a bit more DOUGH2BLOW then hit up Town Hall for a new round of Live from Here w/ Chris Thile ft. Andrew Bird, Jia Tolentino, Tom Papa and Sarah Jarosz! Tickets are $61+.
Sunday February 9
- For starters, get to Chinatown for this year’s Lunar New Year Parade, duh!
- Meanwhile, Valentine’s Day is comin’ up real quick! If you’re looking for gift ideas that are “sexy, smutty, playful, powerful”, House of Yes is hosting a marketplace today ft. “toys, tantalizing art, lace, leather, latex, lingerie”! No cover!
- In terms of comedy, we’ve got TWO REAL GOOD SHOWS over at Union Hall! First up is Jena Friedman: Miscarriage of Justice, and after that is Phoebe Robinson & Friends! Both gigs are $15 a pop.
- At the Bell House, meanwhile, we’ve got SNL’s Alex Moffat takin’ over! Tickets are $20.
- More into tunes? Head to Baby’s All Right for a show from Carlos Truly, Jackie Mendoza and Zenizen! Tickets are $10-$12.
- Or if you’re POORPOORPOOR then RSVP to catch DJ sets from Boy Harsher and Andi Harriman at TV Eye for free!
- But maybe you just wanna watch the flippin’ Oscars, in which case get to Littlefield for The Skint’s free screening party! (Free glass of champagne w/ RSVP!)
- Syndicated is also hosting a free party! (No free champagne but maybe you don’t care!)