Welcome back to another WEEKEND! It’s me, your host, Megan Burns, and I’m here to tell you all about what’s on deck the next few days! (Just like every other week, wowee!) There’s loads happening INCLUDING but not limited to a Dolly Parton dance party, the Bob Ross Challenge Live, a screening of Midsommar – Director’s Cut (our GIF theme, obvi) and MORE! Before we get into all the details, let’s first do a little recap of all the rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy feeling pumped for Snoop Dogg’s plant-based donut sandwich at Dunkin Donuts, because that is literally the only positive news that exists in the world haha wow so great!
- Here’s our official guide to the Oscar nominees ft. who will win vs. who SHOULD win!
- Here is me ranting about how Finley from The L Word: Generation Q sucks real hard! (She even makes TINA seem palatable, JFC!)
- We gave Underwater a 64%, but I am probably still gonna see it, specifically for Kristen Stewart reasons!
- Echosmith put out a new record on Friday so I talked to Sydney Sierota about that! (I have listened to “Diamonds” about sixty thousand times and I am not sorry!)
- Thinking about getting financially fit in 2020 because life’s too short to blow all your money on forgettable fast-casual lunches? Cool, here are some thoughts about doing a no-buy/no-spend challenge!
- Thinking about getting a tattoo because nothing really matters anymore? Cool, here’s some inspo!
Thursday January 16
- My top pick for tonight goes to Baby’s All Right, where it’s Kirin and Alex Cameron’s NYC Oz Fire Fundraiser w/ Special Guests! Tickets are $20+ // excellent cause, excellent tunes.
- You can also scope the v. talented Agnes Obel at National Sawdust for $25…
- …plus Sharkmuffin have an art show w/ Shilpa Ray, Haley Dahl and more at Muchmore’s! Tickets are $10, and that’ll go towards Fuzzy Butt Rescue and TNR!
- In terms of LOLs, head to Union Hall for CGP All Stars w/ Chris Gethard ft. Annie Donley, Clare O’Kane and Tommy McNamara! Tickets are $10 a pop.
- You can also catch Phoebe Robinson and Special Guests (in support of Ohio State Representative Phil Robinson) for $25-$60 a ticket!
- Plus it’s Brown Privilege Comedy 49 at Friends and Lovers ft. Yedoye Travis, Karen Chee, Julia Shiplett and more! (Suggested $5 donation, but technically free!)
- AND the Found Footage Fest guys are hosting VCR Party at Alamo Drafthouse tonight! Tickets are $15.
- Just in the mood to cut a rug? Head to House of Yes for this week’s Dirty Thursday, which is dedicated to all things Beyonce tonight! Free as usual!
Friday January 17
- For comedy vibes, post up at Union Hall for TWO solid shows! First up we’ve got Get Reel w/ Max Wittert and Joe Castle Baker ft. Shalewa Sharpe, Sam Taggart and more ($10), and after that is Puke Fest w/ Rachel and Moss ft. Ziwe Fumudoh, Petey DeAbreau and more ($10-$12)!
- You can also park it at Caveat for She Makes Me Laugh ft. Mary Beth Barone, Sarah Hartshorne and more ($15-$20) and/or Modern Whitney (America’s favorite comedy panel show about art, $10-$12)!
- Plus the Bell House will host Nick Thune and Damien Jurado – Sad Music, Sad Comedy! Tickets are $25 a pop.
- And while it’s wait-list only, you should obviously try your damndest to get into a special screening of Schitt’s Creek ft. bonus conversation with Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Daniel Levy and Annie Murphy at 92Y!
- In terms of tunes, we’ve got round two of Agnes Obel at National Sawdust! Tickets are still $25.
- More into Cashmere Cat vibes? Head to Webster Hall for a $30 gig!
- And while we’re on the subject of d-d-d-d-dancin’, you can also head to C’mon Everybody for a new round of Everybody, Everybody: An 80s, 90s + 00s Party! Tickets are just $5 each.
- Meanwhile, major disco vibes at House of Yes! Midnight Magic will be providing ye olde tunes this evening, and entry is free before 11pm w/ RSVP, up to $30 after that.
- AND Elsewhere will host ELSEWORLD tonight ft. Leon Vynehall, Moxie, Papi Juice b2b Gardens and more! Tickets are $25 and GOIN’ FAST!
- Or maybe you just wanna pay tribute to our lord and savior Dolly Parton, in which case hit up 3 Dollar Bill for Adventures BK’s big ol’ birthday bash! Tickets are $15.
Saturday January 18
- Start your day with a $15 brunch screening of Explorers at Nitehawk Prospect Park, duh! (Or if you can’t drag your ass outta bed today, there’s always a round two tomorrow!)
- UNLESS you’re rallying at Foley Square before the Women’s March 2020, in which case you might be busy from 10am onward!
- Movin’ on into tunes territory, you can catch a new round of The Hum at National Sawdust ft. Greta Kline (Frankie Cosmos) & Jilian Medford (Ian Sweet)! Tickets are $18+.
- Meanwhile, YACHT will be taking over Rough Trade for $17+…
- …plus catch G Jones, Machinedrum and more at Webster Hall for $35+!
- For ROFL vibes, park yourself at Union Hall for all of the comedy! First we’ve got a new round of Picture This! ft. Petey DeAbreau, Christi Chiello and more ($8-$10), and second is a new round of Lo-Fi NYC ft. Rachel Pegram, Rachel Joravsky, Ayo Edebiri and more ($8-$10)!
- You can also head to Caveat for The Bob Ross Challenge Live ft. Janeane Garofalo, Josh Gondelman and more to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society! Tickets are $20-$25 each.
- But maybe you’re more in the mood for a cinematic twist, in which case hit up the Bell House for the latest edition of A Drinking Game NYC, which is Legally Blonde themed tonight! Tickets are $18.
- For some real good LGBTQ+ vibes, head on over to C’mon Everybody for a new round of Yes Homo: A Queer Daytime Party! As always, free!
- Or if that’s too early for ya, just get to Littlefield for a new round of Be Cute! Tickets are $10.
Sunday January 19
- In terms of t-t-t-t-tunes, we’ve got Haybaby, Sharkmuffin, Darkwing and more at Our Wicked Lady tonight! Tickets are $10 each.
- Meanwhile, Caroline Polacheck is doing a solo piano set and signing at Rough Trade this afternoon, and entry is free!
- AND if you feel like closing your weekend out on a dance worthy note, hit up Pianos for The Soak w/ DJ CFLO! No cover!
- Or if it’s comedy you’re after, get to Union Hall for My Dad Isn’t Danny DeVito w/ Anthony DeVito! Tickets are $10.
- PLUS there’s a new round of Not Dead Yet w/ hosts Lorelei Ramirez, Ana Fabrega and Amy Zimmer at C’mon Everybody! Tickets are $7-$10 each.
- Elizabeth Warren fan? Get to the Bell House for Win With Warren Action Party, an afternoon of phone banking, postcarding, trainings, snacks, music and comedy! (Free, ’cause you’re gonna be put to work!)
- For cinematic vibes, head to Film Noir Cinema for a screening of MIDSOMMAR – Director’s Cut! Tickets are $15.
- Or if you just really care about the Screen Actors Guild Awards, head to Syndicated for a free screening party!