Hello! Good morning! Happy weekend or whatever! Did you freeze your face off yesterday! Good news it’s supposed to get warmer!
We’ve got a lot on the books the next few days, so if you’re not in full #FRIENDSGIVING2019 mode, then get ready to have the time of your life in a non-house environment! There’s a special screening of The Princess Bride w/ the one and only Cary Elwes (our GIF theme, duh), plus Anime NYC 2019 kicks off, Kim Petras is set to take over Avant Gardner and MORE!
Before we talk about all of the DETAILS, let’s first go over some stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy making popcorn for impeachment inquiry watching purposes:
- Amanda Knox and Lorena (Bobbitt) Gallo are friends now and we would like to take partial (if not full) credit!
- It’s official – Connecticut pizza kicks NYC pizza’s ass!
- We sent a cishet dude to a King Princess concert and he wasn’t impressed!
- We picked out 10 comedy specials from the past 10 years that we think will still hold up in another 10!
- And here’s a chat we had with Kishi Bashi about ALL OF THE THINGS!
Thursday November 14
- Let’s kick things off on an intellectual note! 92Y will host award-winning scholar Saidiya Hartman, who’ll read from Wayward Lives, Beautiful Experiments, and Carmen Maria Machado, who’ll read from In the Dream House! Tickets are $22 each.
- And speaking of 92Y, they’ll also be hosting a talk with Whoopi Goldberg tonight! Tickets are $40.
- If it’s LOLs you’re after, there’s a new round of Pop Show w/ Ziwe Fumudoh happening at Union Hall tonight! Tickets are $10 each.
- In terms of tunes, we’ve got Super Whatevr, Sulene and Blonder taking over Elsewhere’s Zone One tonight for $15!
- Got a slightly bigger budget? Catch Lux Prima – Karen O and Danger Mouse at Kings Theatre for $40!
- Or just keep it medium-spicy price-wise w/ a $25 Hiss Golden Messenger gig at Webster Hall!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance fo’ f-f-f-f-free tonight? Get to House of Yes for this week’s Dirty Thursday, which is celebrating QUEENS OF POP!
- Wanna DRINK for free, too? RSVP to The Syndicate x Dolby Soho Speakeasy: Music + Tech Mixer ft. drinks from Hoboken Brewing Company, live music from JR JR and DJ sets by Nancy Whang from LCD Soundsystem & Aidan Noell from Nation of Language!
Friday November 15
- FIRST THINGS FIRST! Crunchyroll’s Anime NYC 2019 kicks off today, so if you’re big into that (I AM BIG INTO THAT) then prepare to post up at Javits Center! Day passes start at $60 each, or grab a weekend pass for $85.
- Sumo and Sushi also kicks off today for the weekend, so if you’re about that life, grab tickets in the range of $50+!
- Plus it’s opening day for yasiin bey: Negus, a listening installation of yasiin bey’s latest studio recording, which will not be released in any digital or analog mediums! It’s happening at Brooklyn Museum, and tickets are $20 each.
- Now that we’ve semi-moved into tunes territory, let’s talk about how Viceroy and Penguin Prison (DJ set) will be setting up shop at Elsewhere for some real good dance-worthy times! Tickets are $20+.
- Meanwhile, TR/ST will be at Knockdown Center for $30…
- …and The Mystery Lights will be at Market Hotel for $15…
- …AND Tei Shi has a $20+ show at The Dance!
- Comedy-wise, my ultra-top pick is Lorelei Ramirez’s show at MoMA PS1 tonight // they’ll be presenting new solo work alongside performances by Ana Fabrega, Dylan Marron, Julio Torres, Ikechekwu Ufomadu and Amy Zimmer, with additional performances by Edy Modica and music by Gustaf! Tickets are $15.
- If cinema is more your jam, get to 92Y to catch Willem Dafoe in conversation with The BBC’s Caryn James! There’ll also be a screening of The Lighthouse (duh), and tickets are $45 each.
- More into books and/or queer vibes? CLEARLY make a beeline for St. Francis College, where Carmen Maria Machado will be discussing In the Dream House w/ Desiree Akhavan! Tickets are $30 a pop and come w/ a copy of the book.
- Or if you’re looking for a charitable evening, go support North Shore Animal League America at the Gansevoort! Tickets are $100, and there’ll be tunes, unlimited beer, wine ‘n vodka cocktails, hang times w/ Tinkerbelle the Dog…all for a great cause!
Saturday November 16
- Starting with tunes, you can catch some mega dance feels at Elsewhere tonight! We’ve got Goldroom in the Hall for $30+, and DJ sets from Classixx, Museum of Love and more are happening in the Loft for $15+!
- More into Ra Ra Riot? Catch ’em at Webster Hall for $22+!
- Or if you’re a big ol’ Magnetic Fields/Stephin Merritt fan, then get to Peter Jay Sharpe Theater for an evening with all of the above! Tickets are $45+ (or $30+ if you’re under 30).
- PERSONALLY I feel like we should all just go dance our faces off at C’mon Everybody for Yes Homo x PReP4All, a daytime dance party to help raise awareness to put PReP in the hands of people that need it most! Free admission, $5 gay beers…all of the good things, y’all.
- (Plus stick around for a $5 Whitney vs. Madonna dance party after that, obviously!)
- If movies are more your jam, get to Kings Theatre for a special screening of The Princess Bride ft. Q+A w/ Cary Elwes! Tickets start at $30.
- For comedy, head to the November edition of Party of Two w/ Anita Flores and Calvin Cato at the Pleasure Chest! Tickets are $13.
- You can also catch round two of Lorelei Ramirez at MoMA PS1 tonight! This time the lineup features Morgan Bassichis, Francesca D’uva, Ana Fabrega, Ikechekwu Ufomadu and Amy Zimmer, and tickets are still $15 a pop.
- If you’re more into daytime vibes, be sure to hit up Crown Heights Open Studios 2019!
Sunday November 17
- Tunes are the star of the show today, I feel! First up we’ve got Kim Petras at Avant Gardner starting at $38.50+!
- Plus Audiofemme’s got a relaunch party going at Rosewood Theater tonight ft. Zola Jesus, Mothica and more! Tickets to that will run you $25+.
- LPR, meanwhile, will host Cherie Curie and Brie Darling for $25+!
- I’d personally super-recommend getting yourself to Mercury Lounge for a $12+ Princess Goes to the Butterfly Museum (ft. Michael C. Hall) show!
- And if you’re still in distress that TEEN played their last-ever show recently, take solace in the fact that Lou Tides, Lizzie Loveless and SAADI (projects from three of the four TEEN members) will have a $10-$12 show at the Sultan Room tonight!
- In terms of comedy, most definitely hit up C’mon Everybody for a new round of Not Dead Yet (hosted by Lorelei Ramirez, Amy Zimmer and Ana Fabrega) ft. Bowen Yang, Christi Chiello and more! Tickets are just $7-$10 a pop.
- Plus you’re gonna wanna get to Union Hall for Ashley Explains: How To Be Yourself ft. Ashley Brooke Roberts, Jo Firestone, Nick Maritato, Aparna Nancherla and more! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- If learning and/or the occult are more your speed, head to Catland for 1. a talk titled Mental Health & the Tarot ($30) and/or 2. Witch School 2019 ($20+)!