Happy weekend, y’all! I am currently in the process of making myself spaghetti at 5:07am because insomnia has really been goin’ for it in my sleep life this week! I’m sure I’m gonna be dying for a nap later, but right now I’m Katy Perry style WIDE AWAKE and ready to tell you all about your options this weekend, which include a vegan festival out on Randall’s Island, brunch screenings of Drop Dead Gorgeous (CLEARLY our GIF theme), Lizzo dance parties and more!
BUT FIRST, here’s all the rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy googling “impeachment” and/or harnessing the power of these iconic Phoebe Waller-Bridge Emmys photos! (I did both!)
- This week is THE most appropriate time to revisit this conversation between JVN and Nancy Pelosi!
- I drank the new Natty Light hard seltzers and it was just like being in college again except for that I don’t wear Lilly Pulitzer or get French manicures anymore! (Which are things I used to do!)
- Jenn Tisdale had a big ol’ chat to Cara Robertson about The Trial of Lizzie Borden!
- I had big ol’ chats to Lostboycrow (about geography ‘n gratitude) and Wardell (about their new record and old home movies)!
- Jake Webb of Methyl Ethel (in town for a Bowery Ballroom gig Sunday) gave us a p. epic listening party!
- WIENER DOGS WIENER DOGS WIENER DOGS WIENER DOGS WIENER DOGS!
Thursday September 26
- For starters, obviously go to 92Y to catch Jameela Jamil in conversation w/ Ashley C. Ford! Why would you not do that, apart from the fact that tickets are a slightly heavy $50 each?!
- Plus the 17th annual NY Burlesque Festival kicks off tonight at the Bell House! Events run now through Sunday, and tickets to this particular one start at $18.
- In terms of LOLs, you can catch Lou Sanders in TWO shows – Say Hello To Your New Step Mommy and Shame Pig – at Union Hall, and each will run you $8-$10!
- More into movies? Tarantino mania (if you can stand it) is still happening at Syndicated, and you can catch a $7 screening of Kill Bill Vol. 2 tonight!
- Or if you’re feelin’ Lynchian vibes, head to Metrograph for a $15 screening of Mulholland Drive! LLORANDO DOT COM!
- Just after some t-t-t-t-tunes? Catch Lola Kirke on the rooftop at Elsewhere! Tickets are $15.
- We’ve also got Generationals and Gemma at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $20…
- …plus Strand of Oaks will be playing a $20 show at Brooklyn Bowl tonight!
- Broke AF? Get to Rough Trade for a FREE Deidre and the Dark show…
- …or if you wanna tack on some free DRANKS to that free show vibe, then RSVP to Noisey Nights at Villain ft. Porches!
Friday September 27
- For starters, if you’re into iconic block party vibes, it’s the annual DUMBO DROP!
- My top pick for comedy tonight is actually v. music-based! There’s a new round of Eliot Glazer’s Haunting Renditions happening at Littlefield ft. Franchesca Ramsey, and tickets are $15 a pop.
- But I should ALSO note that the latest edition of Ride or Die: Oregon Trail Live is happening at Caveat! Tickets to that are $20 each.
- If you’re more into talks, then head to 92Y to catch Malcolm Gladwell in conversation w/ Jelani Cobb re: Talking to Strangers! Tickets are $75 each.
- Plus we’ve got the one and only Lauren Duca talking about How to Start a Revolution with Dylan Marron at Strand Bookstore! You can gain entry two ways – 1. grab a $15 Strand gift card, and/or 2. grab a $26 signed copy of the book.
- For dance vibes, head to C’mon Everybody! A new round of A Party Called Rosie Perez is happening, and tickets are $5-$10 each.
- It’s ALSO the 10th anniversary of Feeling Gloomy over at Brooklyn Bazaar! Tickets are $7-$10.
- If video games are more your speed, then get to Babycastles for the grand opening of Year of the Pig! Tickets are a sliding scale, $5-$15 each.
- Or if you’re just looking for an excuse to bunk off work early, we’ve got a 2pm screening of The Red Shoes and 2:30pm screening of Fantastic Planet happening at Metrograph! Tickets are $15 each.
Saturday September 28
- Starting things off in cinema town, we’ve got a $13 brunch screening of Drop Dead Gorgeous happening at Nitehawk Williamsburg // HELL YEAH!
- AND there’s a 4pm screening of Goodfellas at Metrograph that’ll run you $15!
- Speaking of which, Scorcese is giving an hour-long film talk over at Lincoln Center this afternoon! Standby only, but worth it if you’re a fan!
- Or if that ain’t your cinematic jam, Kill Bill Vol. 2 is screening for $7 at Syndicated again tonight!
- You can also swing by Caveat for a new round of Asian American Film Thing, which’ll feature animations and music videos tonight! Tickets are $10-$12.
- More into comedy? Get to The Pleasure Chest for Party of Two w/ Anita Flores and Ayanna Dookie! Lineup includes Kenice Mobley, Kelli Dunham and Ellington Berg, and tickets are $13 a pop.
- In terms of tunes, apparently you can download an app for free entry to Global Citizen Fest 2019 at Central Park? Adam Lambert, Pharrell Williams, Alicia Keys and more are all on the bill, so potentially worthwhile!
- For something slightly less complicated, we’ve got the v. talented Phum Viphurit playing a $20 Music Hall of Williamsburg gig!
- Plus Joseph will take over Webster Hall for $27.75!
- Or if you just wanna d-d-d-d-dance, get to Baby’s All Right for a Lizzo party! Tickets are $0-$5 // #VALUE!
- (Unless you’re super gutted to be missing out on Massive Attack’s sold out gigs, in which case there’s a $45 consolation prize in the form of a DJ set back over at Webster Hall!)
- PERSONALLY I think we should all get to Clum Cumming for REAL QUEER TEA DANCE TIMES! 3pm to 8pm, and FREE!
- But if you’re after some vegan adventures, trek it on out to Randall’s Island for VEGANDALE! Tickets are $10 a pop.
Sunday September 29
- For starters, today marks the 45th annual Atlantic Antic!
- If it’s comedy you’re after, it might be worth checking to see if anyone is selling back tickets to Forever Friends: Comedy Fundraiser for Migrants at the Southern Border at the Bell House; it’s currently sold out, but the lineup is so good! We’re talkin’ Maeve Higgins, Karen Chee, Aparna Nancherla, Cole Escola AND Julio Torres! Regardless, you can donate to MINORITY HUMANITARIAN FOUNDATION, which provides on-the-ground relief efforts in San Diego and Tijuana.
- Of course, you can ALSO hit up Littlefield for The Talent Show w/ hosts Elna Baker and Kevin Townley ft. Janeane Garofalo, Dave Hill, Rosebud Baker and more! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- Or if cinema is more your jam, you can always kick things off w/ another $13 brunch screening o’ Drop Dead Gorgeous at Nitehawk Williamsburg!
- Plus Jackie Brown is screening at Syndicated for $7…
- …and we’ve got $15 screenings of The Red Shoes and Goodfellas happening at Metrograph again!
- More into film talks? Pedro Almodóvar will be at Lincoln Center this afternoon! Standby only, but again, worth it if you’re a fan!
- For tunes, ya gotta get to Bowery Ballroom to catch Methyl Ethel! Tickets are $18.
- Meanwhile, there’s a $25-$30 Pinegrove gig happening at Brooklyn Steel…
- …AND Frankie Cosmos will be at Webster Hall for $22.50!