Happy weekend, you guys! I am getting very sick of this hot weather, but also the world is on fire (both literally and metaphorically), so like…I am feeling very weird about prioritizing my trivial problems! Anyway, we can forget about it all the next few days at a variety of great programming ft. Afropunk, a roller disco, queer dance parties and more! Our GIF theme is Only Lovers Left Alive since that’s screening at Syndicated this weekend, and also because I feel quite like a lethargic vampire at the moment! Before we get into all of that, here’s what you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy wondering what other hellscapes are happening around the globe that haven’t been brought to our attention yet!
- It’s Dog Restaurant Week in NYC! Yes you can bring your dog to participating restaurants and eat steak together!
- I talked to Shalewa Sharpe about her new comedy album, which is very good!
- I also ate the Impossible Whopper and the regular Whopper in one sitting to get to the bottom of whether or not the Impossible Whopper is passable! (Wow, doing the lord’s work over here!)
- Please go to more NWSL matches! I went last weekend and had a real great time!
- And we caught Slaughter Beach, Dog at Bowery Ballroom, and it was a p. tight show!
Thursday August 22
- For starters, Ten Bones Theatre Company is putting on a performance of Scream Entirely From Memory at Littlefield, SO THERE IS THAT. Tickets are $10-$12 each.
- Too lowbrow? Go Godard at Metrograph with an 11pm screening of Pierrot le fou instead!
- You should also hugely consider hitting up House of Yes for Art Battle, where artists are gonna have twenty minutes on the clock to turn blank canvases into works of art! Tickets are $25.
- (And stick around for this week’s Dirty Thursday dance party, which is titled Get Your Freak On, so you can expect PLENTY O’ MISSY ELLIOTT! As usual, free!)
- If you’re hungry (and you feckin’ love you a good sardine and/or anchovy), get to Archestratus for a dinner devoted to pasta con le sarde! Three courses, $30, beer and wine for sale.
- In terms of t-t-t-t-tunes, we’ve got an Ex Hex gig at House of Independents that’ll run you $20…
- …plus Lina Tullgren has a record release show at Rough Trade! Tickets to that one are $15.
- Harry and the Potters will also be taking over the Knitting Factory tonight for $20…
- …or if Tame Impala vibes feel like a better fit for your ears, they’ll be playing MSG again for $55+!
Friday August 23
- Starting in tunes land, Bryant Park’s Emerging Music Festival kicks off today (and runs through tomorrow), and it’s FREE! Lineup includes The Muckers, Morningsiders and more.
- We’ve also got a $15 Alex Lahey show happening at Music Hall of Williamsburg…
- …plus catch WHY? and Barrie at Elsewhere for $23-$25…
- …AND we’ve got didi, Mallrat and Gobbinjr all under one roof at The Footlight! Tickets are just $10!
- For LOLs, be sure to post up at Union Hall! Two solid shows over there tonight – 1. a new round of Friends Who Folk ft. Rachel Wenitsky, Ned Riseley, Ana Fabrega, Taylor Garron and Andrés Govea, and 2. Bardia Ali Salimi’s I Am Not Your Uber! Both are $8-$10 each.
- Just looking for a good ol’ queer dance party? Head to C’mon Everybody for Select All: Queer Mixer ft. all of the tunes, all of the people, zero cover!
- (Or if BDSM-friendly times are more in your wheelhouse, get to Elsewhere for a new round of Bound! Tickets are $15-$25 each.)
- Meanwhile, major Donna Summer vibes over at House of Yes, where they’re hosting a big disco party tonight! Free (w/ RSVP) pre-11pm, $20+ after that.
- More into roller discos? Get to DROM! They’re hosting a $15 one, and skates are available to rent on site if you don’t have your own. (And no roller blades, dingus!)
- If film is more your jam, then head out to Moving Image for Vimeo Staff Picks Made By Female Filmmakers tonight! With filmmakers Elizabeth Rose, Emily Rhyne, India Donaldson, Danaé Gosset in person, and hosted by Meghan Oretsky // tickets are $15 each.
- You can also catch a free outdoor screening of Funny Face at Lincoln Center’s Josie Robertson Plaza!
Saturday August 24
- For comedy vibes, head to Union Hall for a special screening of Betsy Kenney and Dara Katz’s Amazing Bagel, plus sets from Mary Beth Barone, Benito Skinner, Juliet Prathe and Julia Shiplett! Tickets are $12-$15.
- (Plus stick around for a new round of Lo-Fi NYC afterwards ft. Karen Chee, Rachel Pegram, Rachel Joravsky, Ayo Edebiri and more! Tickets are $8-$10.)
- In tunes territory, Afropunk kicks off today (and runs thru tomorrow) in Brooklyn! Lineup is bonkers (Santigold, Toro Y Moi, NAO, Leon Bridges, Jill Scott, FKA Twigs and more), and tickets start at $70.
- Or if you feel like hanging out on a boat w/ Washed Out, Goldroom, Roosevelt, RAC and more, sign yourself up for High Seas Festival East! Tickets start at $109.
- Back on dry land, meanwhile, we’ve got Teen Girl Scientist Monthly playing a $12 show at Union Pool!
- Plus Martinez Brothers, Shigeto and more will take over the latest edition of MoMA PS1’s $18 Warm Up…
- …and you can catch a Holy Ghost! DJ set on Elsewhere’s roof for $20-$25!
- If it’s a solid dance party you’re after, look no further than C’mon Everybody, where it’s a new round of Everybody, Everybody! As usual, tickets are just $5 each.
- You can also get back to Elsewhere for a new round of Papi Juice, which’ll run you $10-$20 a ticket!
- But maybe you’re just into witchcraft and/or poison, in which case get to Catland for a course on the magic of poisonous plants! Tickets are $15.
Sunday August 25
- Get started at Nitehawk Williamsburg, where there are brunch screenings of Jurassic Park and Easy Rider!
- Or if those are too early for you, just focus on getting to Syndicated for a 9pm screening of Only Lovers Left Alive! Tickets are $7.
- You can also scope Risky Business, Desperately Seeking Susan and/or Back to the Future at Lincoln Center starting at 2pm for all of those Reagan era vibes!
- In terms of comedy, head on over to Union Hall for a new round of 6FN (Six Foot Nothing) ft. Monroe Martin, Chloe Hilliard, Dave Temple, Menuhin Hart, Derek Gaines, Reggie Conquest and Ian Fidance! Tickets are $8-$10.
- Or if you wanna LOL to keep from crying, get to Littlefield for Thoughts and Prayers, a show hosted by Kristen Buckels and Lacey Jeka at Littlefield ft. Rosebud Baker, Devon Walker, the Lucas Bros, Mark Normand and more! All proceeds to The Environmental Defense Fund, heck yes, and tickets are $8-$10.
- Just feel like d-d-d-d-dancin’? Head to the Summer Thunder edition of JD Samson’s PAT Party at Union Pool! Free w/ RSVP!
- Or if you’ve got a little dough to spare, you can pop over to Tiki Disco on Elsewhere’s rooftop for $15…
- …plus it’s Mister Sunday at Nowadays for $20!