Hi! If you’re wondering where I am right now (you’re probably not, but I’m gonna tell you anyway), I’m in Newport, Rhode Island, aka the weirdest place I have ever been! And I am currently in a boutique hotel because my mom wanted to stay in a bed and breakfast that used to be a jail! And I am not trying to get haunted like that! ANYWAY, you’re probably just concerned about your weekend (not MY personal beyond-the-grave safety), so let’s just get into your weekend options! (Which INCLUDE but are not limited to screenings of Wet Hot American Summer, aka our GIF theme, Fool’s Gold Day Off, a bikini sundae pool party and MORE! We’re about to get into all ye olde details…
…BUT FIRST, here’s some rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy having your billionth existential crisis since November 2016!
- We gave Hobbs & Shaw a full 80%, who would’ve known?!
- (We also thought David Crosby: Remember My Name was p. good! WHO WOULD’VE KNOWN?!)
- We talked all about #RORSCHACHTESTS with one of our favorite DC-based artists!
- AND we caught Florist and Ami Dang at Baby’s All Right last week! Scope our photos here!
Thursday August 8
- For starters, get to House of Yes for the latest round of Dirty Thursday! The dance party is MADONNARAMA themed this go-round, and as usual, it’s FREE!
- And speaking of free things, The Big Lebowski is screening for all of $0 at Brooklyn Bridge Park tonight!
- In terms of LOLs, you can catch Dave Mizzoni’s Dear Diary at Union Hall tonight ft. bonus guests Sydnee Washington and Sam Taggart! Tickets are $10 each.
- Meanwhile, you can hit up Bowery Ballroom for Let’s See, What Else? with Dulcé Sloan, Chris Distefano, Ronny Chieng, Julio Torres & more special guests!
- More into t-t-t-t-tunes? Head to Central Park to catch Guster and Rubblebucket outdoors for $46+!
- Meanwhile, Peter Murphy is at LPR to perform Holy Smoke tonight for $45+!
- But back to dancin’! You can ALSO scope DJ Seinfeld at Public Records for $11!
Friday August 9
- Starting with tunes, we’ve got Natalie Prass and Adeline playing Industry City for $20+!
- Plus Peter Murphy’s back at it again at LPR tonight, only this time he’s performing Cascade! Tickets are still $45+.
- Don’t mind a trek out to Jones Beach? You can catch The Smashing Pumpkins for $29.50+!
- More into laughin’? Get to Union Hall for a set from Eliza Skinner! Tickets are $8-$12 each.
- (You can also stick around for Secret Formula’s Boy Band Sing-Along afterwards! Tickets are $10.)
- But if I were you I’d just make a beeline for Lincoln Center, where Eternal Sunshine is screening tonight at 7pm! (Goddamn do I ever love that movie!)
- PLUS I’m gonna vote you hit up Metrograph for a late-night (11:45pm) screening of Band of Outsiders! Yes forever to Anna Karina!
- Unless you’re ultra-concerned you’re falling behind on the astrology front, in which case get to Catland for a $20+ Astrology for Practical Magik course!
Saturday August 10
- FIRST THINGS FIRST! You can catch brunch screenings of Wet Hot American Summer tonight and tomorrow at Nitehawk Prospect Park!
- (And while we’re on the subject of movies, Spirited Away is screening for $10 outdoors at Riis Beach!)
- In terms of tunes, today is Fool’s Gold Day Off at Knockdown Center! YBN Nahmir, A-Trak, Black Thought and more will be performing, and tickets’ll run you $20+ a pop.
- And later, we’ve got My Morning Jacket and Warpaint playing Forest Hills Stadium for $63.50+!
- You can also swing by Littlefield for an Elliott Smith tribute ft. Joanna Sternberg, Steve Hartlett, Rebecca Satellite and more // tickets are $8-$10, and proceeds will go towards Outside In.
- Plus Peter Murphy is back at LPR tonight to play Dust for $45+!
- More into hanging out in a cemetery? Kim Brandt will be playing a $30 show at Green-Wood!
- But maybe you’re just super broke, in which case head to East River Park for a FREE show from The Mountain Goats!
- Meanwhile, Combo Chimbita will be playing a free show on the lawn at Queens Museum!
- And/or if you don’t mind a trek out to Montauk, Beach Fossils will play a free Sole East gig starting at 5pm!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Get to Brooklyn Bazaar for Young Adult Friction, an indie dance party! (ALSO FREE!)
Sunday August 11
- First up, cool off at House of Yes for a new round of Bikini Sundae Pool Party! Pop-up pool! Booze-infused ice cream! All of the things! (Also free!)
- Just want the tunes sans bikinis ‘n frozen desserts? Hit up Brooklyn Mirage for a $50 RÜFÜS DU SOL performance!
- Or just cut a rug over at Our Wicked Lady’s rooftop, ’cause Jonathan Toubin’s residency continues from 8pm to 4am! (As usual, free!)
- More into queer dance vibes? Hit up C’mon Everybody for a new round of Hanky Code: the Sunday Disco Tea Dance! Starts at 4pm, and no cover!
- In terms of more “traditional” tunes, you can hit up Lincoln Center’s Damrosch Park for a free outdoor David Crosby gig!
- More into movies? It’s Burt Lancaster mania at the Film Forum all day long, but my top pick has gotta be The Swimmer at 9:35pm! (I don’t know why I love The Swimmer so much, but I do! Men unraveling is my genre of choice, I guess!)
- But back to ye olde free programming! You can hit up Industry City some amazing free Lot Radio vibes!