Welcome to your weekend, my D00DZ! It’s about to be a REAL SCORCHER! We’re talking 100 degrees on Saturday! NO WORD OF A LIE! That means lots of sweating and misery! Good thing I impulse bought David Beckham’s celebrity cologne for reasons which remain slightly unclear! Gonna smell real fresh ‘n ready 2 bend it! Speaking of Beckham-related things, there’s a Spice Girls tea dance at Club Cumming this weekend, meaning our GIF theme was KIND OF A NO-BRAINER!
But even if that ain’t your jam, we’ve got loads of great stuff happening should you feel like peeling yourself away from that full-blast AC unit. FOR INSTANCE, you can join me at a Robyn show over at Barclays Center tomorrow night! You can also hit up Central Park for OZY Fest ft. John Legend, Mark Cuban, Tove Lo, Megan Rapinoe and MORE! It’s also Pinknic, we’ve got screenings of Hackers, The Virgin Suicides…the list goes on! Before we get into all the details, here’s some REAL COOL CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy packing your bags for Area 51!
- I repeat, it’s gonna be real hot this weekend! Here’s some fridgespo from Victoria Lai of DC’s Ice Cream Jubilee // she brings her A game when it comes stocking the heatwave survival gear aka ice cream pints ‘n beer!
- In other news, I ate the Cheetos Sandwich from KFC because my body is not a temple!
- I also had a chat to Gaby Dunn and Allison Raskin about their new book, but more importantly, I asked if their dogs are friends! (Their dogs are not friends!)
- We predict that Stuber will be on heavy rotation on TBS one day!
- Meanwhile, we thought that Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love was pretty good!
Thursday July 18
- For starters, go hang out with Gaby Dunn and Allison Raskin at Strand Bookstore as they launch their new YA novel, Please Send Help! Grab a signed copy of the book and/or a $15 Strand gift card to gain entry.
- (Speaking of Strand programming, Sarah Copeland will also be talking Every Day Is Saturday w/ Bon Appetit’s Chris Morocco on the second floor! Snag a signed copy of the book and/or a $15 Strand gift card to attend.)
- In cinematic territory, CLEARLY swing by Syndicated for a $7 screening of Battle Royale!
- For tunes, head to Market Hotel for a $14-$25 Plastic Picnic show! Support from Toledo, Hypoluxo and Pecas.
- You can also grab a copy of BANKS‘ new record (which is P. GR8, BTW!) at Rough Trade NYC and catch her in-house for a signing!
- More into bein’ on a boat? Catch Electric Six as part of the latest Rocks Off installment! Tickets are $30.
- Too poor? Catch Low Cut Connie for free at Wagner Park (Battery Park City)!
- In terms of LOLs, ya gotta get to Union Hall for Who, Me? ft. Jay Malsky, Taylor Ortega and more! Tickets are $10 a pop.
- Or, got $59+? Sarah Silverman and Friends will be at the rooftop at Pier 17!
- You can also hang out w/ Topher Grace and Arturo Castro over at the Bell House for a new round of NPR’s Ask Me Another! Tickets are $15 each.
- Or if wordplay is more your jam, get to Littlefield for Punderdome 3000: New York Post Fifth Annual Special Edition! Tickets are $12.
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance for free? Hit up House of Yes for the latest round of Dirty Thursday, which is Fembots themed, aka tunes from Robyn, MIA, Peaches and more!
- Plus it’s a new round of PAT Party at Union Pool w/ JD Samson! Also free!
- AND you can pop on over to Gold Sounds for Emo Night, too! ALSO FREE!
Friday July 19
- Starting with tunes, if you don’t mind a trek out to Randall’s Island, Pinknic kicks off today ft. Mark Ronson, Breakbot and more! Tickets start at $95+.
- (Plus Breakbot will be at Schimanski for the $20-$25 Pinknic after-party.)
- Or you could just do what I’m doing, aka seeing Robyn at Barclays Center! Tickets are $76+.
- (This Party Is Killing You, aka “The Robyn Party” by Adventures BK, is also happening afterwards at Brooklyn Bowl for $15-$20!)
- Plus Mal Blum’s got a record release show at Rough Trade for $12-$15…
- …and the homie Luke Rathborne will be at The Broadway for $12!
- We’ve also got Nick Hakim at Industry City for $22+…
- …plus Fujiya + Miyagi and Glassio have a show at Elsewhere for $17-$20…
- …AND Sir Babygirl will be at Trans-Pecos covering the music of Hole for $10!
- If it’s comedy you’re after, get to Union Hall for Big Debates, Lil Issues ft. Josh Gondelman, Karen Chee, Ariel Dumas and more! Tickets are $10-$12 each.
- Or if cinematic vibes are more your jam, then get to the Bell House for a new round of A Drinking Game, which is Jaws-themed this time! Tickets are $15.
- You can also hack the planet over at Syndicated, where Hackers is screening for just $7!
- “I CAME HERE TO DANCE, MEGAN!” Okay, okay! (Same, TBH!) Head to C’mon Everybody for a new round of Everybody, Everybody! Just $5!
- Plus it’s a new round of Take Me Out: 2000s Disco Punk dance party over at the Knitting Factory! Tickets to that one’ll set you back $10 each.
Saturday July 20
- Kick things off at ye olde movies! There’s a brunch screening of Dangerous Liaisons AND a new round of Spoons, Toons & Booze at Nitehawk Williamsburg today and tomorrow!
- (At Nitehawk Prospect Park, meanwhile, we’ve got a brunch screening of Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure!)
- Later, you can scope $7 screenings of Labyrinth at Syndicated!
- For LOLs, head to the Bell House for Superego: Forgotten Classics ft. Matt Gourley, Jeremy Carter, Mark McConville, Paul F. Tompkins and James Bladon improvising famous works of fiction! Tickets are $25.
- It’s also a new round of Your Love, Our Musical w/ Rebecca Vigil and Evan Kaufman over at Caveat! Tickets are $15-$25.
- Union Hall, meanwhile, has THREE solid comedy shows happening tonight! The first is Anna Drezen’s Okay Get Home Safe!! ($10), the second is Book Club ($8-$10) ft. Colin Stokes, Ziwe Fumudoh, Phoebe Robinson and more, and the third is a new round of Lo-Fi NYC ($8-$10) ft. Kevin Bauer, Blythe Roberson and more!
- For tunes vibes, Pinknic continues on Randall’s Island w/ performances by Chromeo, Pnau, Moon Boots and more! Tickets are still $95+.
- But if that ain’t your jam, hit up Mercury Lounge for a $20 show from The Mooney Suzuki!
- Meanwhile, we’ve got Will Butler (of Arcade Fire) ‘n friends (incl. Lorelei Ramirez, Jo Firestone and more) at Rough Trade for $16+!
- Broke? Get to Coney Island for a free music festival ft. The Feelies, The Mystery Lights and more!
- If queer dance parties are more your speed, then get to C’mon Everybody for a new round of Yes, Homo: A Queer Daytime Party! FREE!
- But SPEAKING OF QUEER DANCE PARTIES, the most important one of all is at Club Cumming from 3pm to 8pm! Yes, it’s Spice Girls & Friends Tea Party ft. all the Spice Girls hits you love, plus others from B*Witched, Kylie Minogue, Britney and more! NO COVER!!!
- Or if you just want a little bit of EVERYTHING, then head to Central Park for OZY Fest ft. Trevor Noah, Marcus Samuelsson, Mark Cuban, Stacey Abrams, John Legend and more! Tickets are $99+.
Sunday July 21
- For starters, OZY Fest continues at Central Park! Tove Lo, Padma Lakshmi, Megan Rapinoe (!!!), Spike Lee and more will be there, and tickets will run you $79+.
- In movie land, meanwhile, Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey is screening at brunchtime at Nitehawk Prospect Park!
- Later, you can pop over to Syndicated for a $7 screening of The Virgin Suicides!
- You can also soak up some #POOLVIBES at House of Yes’ Bikini Sundae Pool Party ft. pop-up pool, ice cream ‘n more! FREE!
- In terms of LOLs, if you feel like hanging out w/ Eugene Cordero, Tawny Newsome, Paul F Tompkins and Janet Varney, get to the Bell House for one of two seatings of SPONTOURCO! Tickets are $30 a pop.
- You can also pop over to Union Hall for one of two seatings of a TV taping of the pilot of 6FN (Six Foot Nothing) ft. Monroe Martin, Chloe Hilliard and more! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- Or if you missed Anna Drezen’s Okay Get Home Safe!! at Union Hall last night, you can catch her performing it again over at Caveat tonight for $10-$12!
- Lastly, it’s Not Dead Yet w/ Lorelei Ramirez, Amy Zimmer and Ana Fabrega at C’mon Everybody! Tickets are just $7.