Hello and welcome back to another weekend! I am SO BUMMED that the FIFA Women’s World Cup is over (although still v. pumped they won), so it’s fortunate that Wimbledon is still on thru Sunday! (Wow, I love sports, so cool!) There’s lots of non-tennis-related programming happening, so you can breathe a sigh of relief if you thought that was all I’d talk about! For example, there are like 6000 amazing dance parties (a Bjork one, a Fleetwood Mac x ABBA one, a Taylor Swift one…the list goes on), a new round of Tinder Live, chats (‘n snacks) w/ Bon Appetit’s Carla Lalli Music and Molly Baz, a screening of The Dark Crystal (our GIF theme, obviously) and MORE MORE MORE!
Before we talk about all of that, let’s first cover some quality BYT #C0NT3NT you might’ve missed this week if you were too busy being obsessed with the entire USWNT and shouting “EQUAL PAY!” at anyone who would listen including your neighbors even though they don’t speak great English! (That last part might be more specific to me!)
- Leyenda legend herself Ivy Mix gave us the 411 on her ultimate Brooklyn bar crawl!
- Meanwhile, it turns out chefs are picky eaters too! And they hate dark chocolate? Cherry tomatoes? MARSHMALLOWS?!
- Here are what we think are the best books of 2019 so far! (Penguin retweeted us so you know it’s legit!)
- Here’s why we think Quinta Brunson is v. funny dot com!
- And finally, here were my final thoughts on the FIFA WWC! You won’t need to hear me talk about it for another four years!
Thursday July 11
- Excuse me sir, do you like to laugh? Head to Union Hall for a new round of Sweethearts of Comedy ft. Drew Anderson, Tim Platt, Bowen Yang and more! Tickets are $10 each.
- SPEAKING of Bowen Yang, he and Matt Rogers will be the VIP guests at NPR’s Ask Me Another at the Bell House! Tickets are $15.
- Meanwhile, you can catch a screening of Sword of Trust with writer-director Lynn Shelton in conversation with WTF’s Marc Maron at 92Y! Tickets are $35.
- And speaking of cinematic vibes, you can hit up Nitehawk Williamsburg for a new round of Vimeo Staff Picks w/ Live Director’s Commentary! Tickets are $18.
- PLUS you can catch a free outdoor screening of Pariah at Brooklyn Bridge Park tonight! INCREDIBLE FILM, DO IT!
- More into food stuff? Grab a $20-$40 ticket to hang out with Bon Appetit’s own Carla Lalli Music at Archestratus! BA’s Senior Associate Food Editor Molly Baz will moderate the conversation, and YES THERE WILL BE SNACKS!
- In terms of tunes, we’ve got Surfbort over at Baby’s All Right for $20…
- …plus CHVRCHES will be at Radio City Music Hall for $26+!
- Or you can hang out with ME at Rough Trade, where pronoun’s got a $15 show!
- Too broke? Scope Savoir Adore at Pete’s Candy Store fo’ FREE!
- BUT MAYBE YOU JUST WANNA DANCE IDK UR LIFE! Arlene’s Grocery is hosting a $12 Taylor Swift party // PS singing “Bad Blood” at karaoke is harder than it seems.
Friday July 12
- My top pick is OBVIOUSLY the Róisín Murphy x Robyn x Björk dance party that’s happening at C’mon Everybody tonight! Starts at 11pm, tickets are $5-$8.
- For more “traditional” tunes, aka live shows, we’ve got Nick Murphy (fka Chet Faker) and Beacon at Brooklyn Steel for $30-$35!
- Meanwhile, Bad Gyal, Ms Nina and Gooddroid will be at Elsewhere for $20-$25!
- (And after THAT, Elsewhere will also host a $15-$25 Autograf gig!)
- Plus there’s always Kitsuné X New Museum’s Sunset Series, which’ll feature Eli Escobar tonight! You need to grab a $70 membership, but it’s a pretty sweet deal considering you’ll be a New Museum member AND you’ll get two tickets to this plus two drinks.
- Broke AF? RSVP for a free show from CHVRCHES at Pioneer Works!
- Or for cheap outdoor vibes, Gaby Moreno & Friends will take over Prospect Park Bandshell for a free show…
- …while ROCK! AWAY! Music Festival kicks off tonight w/ LOADS of free performances, my top pick being one from Kool Keith at Rippers!
- If it’s music conversation you’re after, hit up Rough Trade for A Celebration of Frightened Rabbit’s ‘The Midnight Organ Fight’: In Conversation with Peter Katis, Craig Finn & Katie Harkin. ($0!)
- For LOLs, be sure to hit up Union Hall for a new round of Dark Tank w/ Yedoye Travis, Shalewa Sharpe, Gastor Almonte and more! Tickets are $10-$15 each.
- More into movies? There’s a free outdoor screening of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again at Morningside Park!
Saturday July 13
- Kick off the day w/ an 11am screening of Whale Rider at Metrograph, duh!
- There’s also a brunch screening of Big at Nitehawk Prospect Park!
- Too early for you? Just head out to Riis Beach later for a $10 screening of The Dark Crystal!
- Or if you missed Sword of Trust at 92Y on Thursday, catch a screening at IFC Center ft. Marc Maron, Lynn Shelton AND Ira Glass!
- In terms of comedy, make it a Union Hall night! First up is Pop Show w/ Ziwe Fumudoh ft. Karen Chee, Sophie Santos and more; tickets to that one will run you $8-$10 each. NEXT we’ve got a new round of HER-ICANE: All Women+ Stand Up Comedy for Disaster Relief ft. Jenny Gorelick, Kate Villa, Karen Chee and more; tickets are also $8-$10.
- It’s ALSO A Gay Show For All People Summer Spectacular w/ Josh Sharp and Aaron Jackson at the Bell House tonight ft. Cole Escola, Aparna Nancherla, Jes Tom and more! Tickets are $10-$15 each.
- Meanwhile, Lane Moore will host a new round of Tinder Live at Littlefield ft. guests Samantha Ruddy, Bonnie McFarlane and Merritt K! Tickets are $15-$18 a pop.
- Or if queer dance parties are more your vibe, stick around Littlefield for the latest edition of Be Cute! Tickets are $10.
- Plus there’s a Fleetwood Mac x ABBA dance party happening over at Brooklyn Bazaar for $12!
- For tunes-tunes vibes, you can catch Nick Murphy (fka Chet Faker) and Beacon at Brooklyn Steel again for $30-$35…
- …or scope Marissa Nadler at City Winery for $15…
- …OR swing by Mercury Lounge for a $12-$15 Freezepop + Nullsleep show! (Also raise your hand if you primarily know Freezepop because of their feature on The L Word! Cool, me neither ha ha!)
- Not into any of that? You can also see Yeasayer over at Webster Hall for $25!
- (Personally I just feel like cuttin’ a mega rug w/ SCUBA at Good Room // tickets are $15-$20.)
Sunday July 14
- Got $75+? Maybe head out to Coney Island for adidas Originals’ Greatest Day Ever Festival ft. Zeds Dead, Snakehips and loads more!
- You can also hit up Forest Hills Stadium for a $29.50+ Lynyrd Skynyrd show…
- …or get to Industry City for a $25 all-ages Kid Koala and Adira Amram and the Experience show!
- Or if that’s not callin’ your name, get to C’mon Everybody for Hanky Code: A Sunday LGBTQAI+ Disco Tea Dance! Starts at 4pm, FREE!
- You can also d-d-d-d-dance on Our Wicked Lady’s rooftop at a new round of Jonathan Toubin’s Sunday Soul Scream! (ALSO FREE!)
- More into chillin’ out in a dark movie theater? Get to Syndicated for a 3:30pm screening of Fear and Loathing! Tickets are $7.
- Or for outdoor movie vibes, then hit up Habana Outpost for a free screening of Liar, Liar!
- If it’s comedy you’re after, head on over to Littlefield for Nick Vatterott Shoots a Pickup Shot ft. Steve O’Brien, Aparna Nancherla and Joe Zimmerman! Tickets are $8-$10.
- Or just hit up a giant gathering of collectors’ collections at City Reliquary’s presentation of Collectors’ Night 2019 at the Bell House! Tickets are $30.