Wowee, sorry for the earlier technical difficulties, y’all! Apparently our site servers were not feelin’ this dismal-ass weather and took a little holiday. The main thing is that we’re back up and running now, and we can start talking all about your WEEKEND in the event you’re not planning to go into cryosleep until PRIDE, which is a week away! Tons to do, whether you wanna hit the high seas w/ Frank Iero, hit up the Mermaid Parade or just celebrate the heck outta women’s soccer by watching the FIFA WWC and/or scoping a screening of Bend It Like Beckham, aka our GIF theme, aka DUH!
Before we get into all of that, here’s some D0P3 C0NT3NT you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy wondering whether or not we are on the brink of war with Iran (COOLCOOLCOOLCOOLCOOL EVERYTHING IS FINE):
- Here are what we think are going to be THE SONG(S) OF SUMMER 2019! (Yes, “Old Town Road” is on the list!)
- Speaking of which, I had a chat to Nashville’s Erin Rae about Lil Nas X and the #YEEHAW_AGENDA slash the future of country music, the current political climate in the South, what it’s like for her as a queer singer/songwriter and more!
- I also interviewed Harry and the Potters about the band’s newest record, Lumos, an anti-fascist banger which is coming to us after THIRTEEN YEARS of no new material!
- I recapped you on this weekend’s Women’s World Cup games, something I’ll be doing again tomorrow (holy shit that Argentina vs. Scotland match was bananas) // don’t forget to watch the USWNT (hopefully) kick Sweden’s ass at 3pm ET today!
- And finally, if you’re down for a fall trip to DC, you won’t be disappointed! Our DC edition of Death Becomes Us (our true crime fest) is gonna be E-P-I-C! Lineup includes Amanda Knox, the Buzzfeed Unsolved boys ‘n more!
Thursday June 20
- For LOLs, head to Caveat for A Night For Funny Bitches: sex positive comedy to support sex workers! Aparna Nancherla will headline, and tickets will run you $20-$25 each.
- Plus you can catch a set from Zach Zimmerman over at Union Hall for $8-$10…
- …or get to the Bell House for Kate Berlant’s late show also ft. Aparna Nancherla! Tickets are $25.
- Or if it’s tunes you’re after, then get to Industry City for Jeff the Brotherhood and Speedy Ortiz! Tickets are $20 a pop.
- We’ve also got TWO solid shows happening at Elsewhere, the first being Future Generations on the rooftop ($18)…
- …and the second being Sports Team’s NYC debut ($14) in Zone One!
- If you’re workin’ with a mega-budget, just get yourself to Herbert Von King Park for a FREE Pharoahe Monch performance!
- Or if you have ALL of the money, you can scope Regina Spektor at Lunt-Fontanne Theatre for $69+!
- For a happy medium, just catch Computer Magic over at The Broadway for $10!
- Or for movie vibes, there’s a $7 screening of First Wives Club at Syndicated!
- More into outdoor times? Hit up a free screening of The Joy Luck Club at Columbus Park!
Friday June 21
- In terms of tunes, I have a couple of top picks! The first is a $15 SOAK show at Music Hall of Williamsburg!
- PLUS you can catch Slothrust over at Industry City for $20-$25!
- You can also scope FM-84’s synth-pop goodness over at Elsewhere tonight for $20-$25!
- Or if that ain’t your jam, just get to Sunnyvale for a $20 Cro-Mags show!
- Broke AF? Head to Prospect Park Bandshell for a FREE show from Iron & Wine, Calexico AND Adia Victoria!
- Or for some good old fashioned dance party times, head to C’mon Everybody for the latest round of Everybody, Everybody: An 80s, 90s, 00s Party! Tickets are $5 a pop.
- More into queer dance parties? Probably get to Market Hotel for The Spectrum’s presentation of WQRLD PRIDE! Q Dynasty! Tickets are $15-$20 each.
- Or if you’re more into movie vibes, you can get to Nitehawk Williamsburg for midnight screenings of Fear and Loathing and Top Gun!
- PLUS we’ve got $7 screenings of Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion AND Crossroads at Syndicated!
- Or if you’re too poor, head to the Intrepid for a free outdoor screening of Apollo 11!
- And if you’re after comedy, then just hit up Union Hall for sets from Sam Taggart and Rachel Pegram! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
Saturday June 22
- Kick things off w/ brunch screenings of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Serial Mom at Nitehawk Williamsburg!
- You can also scope Holy Ghost! over at Bowery Ballroom for $25-$30!
- Or if Ozzy Osbourne and/or Megadeth are more your speed, then get to MSG for a $65+ show!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Catch a DJ set from Penguin Prison, Gigamesh and more at Elsewhere! Tickets are $15-$20 a pop.
- And if you don’t mind a little hike out to Forest Hills Stadium, then you can catch the Lumineers for $80+!
- But if you’re strapped for cash and/or wanna be outside (the weather is supposed to be REAL GOOD), absolutely get to Central Park for The Aussie BBQ’s big ol’ showcase ft. free performances from Hermitude, Tkay Maidza, San Cisco and more!
- In Brooklyn, meanwhile, we’ve got Emily Wells ‘n Tortoise playing the Prospect Park Bandshell for free, too!
- And out on middle-of-nowhere Randall’s Island, it’s Punk Island 2019! Free w/ RSVP!
- PLUS, even further afield we’ve got a free Lykke Li gig at Montauk’s Surf Lodge!
- More into bein’ on a boat for your show vibes? You’ll have to cough up $39.99, but you can hit the high seas with Frank Iero & The Future Violents tonight!
- We’ve also got THREE comedy shows happening at Union Hall tonight! The first is Brett Davis presents John Gentle ($8-$10), the second is Carmen Christopher presents Hi, I’m The Weird Guy! ($10-$12) AND the third is Sarah Squirm’s Helltrap Nightmare ($10)!
- But let’s just get to THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that is happening this weekend, aka a $7 screening of Bend It Like Beckham at Syndicated!!!
- (Plus don’t forget to watch the FIFA WWC Round of 16, which kicks off TODAY!)
- Or maybe you just wanna hang out in a graveyard (I DON’T KNOW YOUR LIFE!), in which case join Rooftop Films at Greenwood Cemetery for a screening of Strange Negotiations ft. a live performance by David Bazan! Tickets are $16.
- “NONE OF THIS IS QUEER ENOUGH FOR ME, MEGAN!” Well, just get ready to dance your face off at Market Hotel for Bunker Pride 2019 ft. Eris Drew, Carlos Souffront, Mike Servito and Lauren Flax! Tickets are $20-$25.
Sunday June 23
- For starters, it’s the flippin’ MERMAID PARADE out on Coney Island! Obviously go!
- More into tunes? We’ve got the one and only Sizzy Rocket w/ Chloe MK at Trans-Pecos tonight for just $10!
- Or if you just wanna hang out on a roof (the weather is supposed to be dope, at least at the time of this writing) then get to Elsewhere for 718 Sessions! Tickets are $15 each.
- Too broke for that? Chill w/ Jonathan Toubin on Our Wicked Lady’s rooftop instead! Free dance vibes from 8pm to 4am!
- But back over in movie land, it is V. IMPORTANT TO NOTE that Ghost World is screening for $7 at Syndicated tonight! HELL YEAH!
- Plus tonight you can pop on by Habana Outpost for a free outdoor screening of What Women Want!
- In terms of tunes, we’ve got The Head and the Heart headlining Alt 92.3’s Summer Open at Forest Hills Stadium! Young the Giant, Fitz & The Tantrums, Chris Carrabba and more will be there, and tickets will run you $70+!
- You can also wrap up your weekend on a comedic note over at Union Hall, where first up is Mary Houlihan’s Me & Jack ($6-$8) plus Tessa Skara’s Rock Goddess ($8-$10)!
- Meanwhile, Jon Glaser is at the Bell House for $18-$20!
- Or for slightly more queer vibes, head to Caveat for the latest round of Dyking Out Live w/ Carolyn Bergier and Sarah York! Tickets are $10-$15 a pop.
- And finally, speaking of queer vibes, Cissy Walken (aka Miss Stonewall 2019 and one of our favorite drag pals) will host her first Invasion at Stonewall tonight!