IT IS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND! I will not be here for most of it since my mom booked a beach house and I have big plans to blind all of Rehoboth, Delaware with my unparalleled pallor! But I figured some of you would be sticking around, hence I’ve mapped out FIVE. WHOLE. DAYS. of stuff to keep you occupied. From soccer matches to crawfish boils to dance parties, there’s all kinds of great programming happening to get you out of the house. (Just be sure to park yourself for the Killing Eve S2 finale on Sunday night, though, ’cause it will surely kick the teeth outta whatever the flip happened on GoT last weekend. Yes, Killing Eve is our GIF theme in case you haven’t worked out I’m an unapologetic mega-stan by now.)
Before we talk details, here’s all the great #C0NT3NT you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy hoping men would stay in their goddamn lane for once LOL!
- We’re rampin’ up the queer vibes for Pride, so here’s me telling you why Black Mirror‘s “San Junipero” should’ve actually just been called “U-Haul 2.0”!
- Also, here’s who all I think is queer (besides Mr. Ratburn) on Arthur!
- This is what our Game of Thrones guy thought about that finale…
- I talked to Yann Tiersen about mountain lions and endangered languages and did not mention the Amelie soundtrack once!
- And our contributing photographer Michael Gebhardt caught shows from Greta Van Fleet, My Brightest Diamond and Old Dominion this week!
Thursday May 23
- For starters, you can grab a $75 ticket to what sounds like a super cool 8-course zero-waste challenge dinner at Navy Yard! Loads of talented chefs’ll be featured, and Jake Cohen will moderate.
- In terms of tunes, RVBY MY DEAR has a record release party at Bowery Electric! Tickets’ll run you $10-$15 each.
- PLUS TV Girl and Yohuna have a show at Elsewhere for $15-$18!
- If you just feel like cuttin’ a rug for free, then hit up the latest round of Dirty Thursday at House of Yes! They’re celebrating the women of R&B all night long, so it’s gonna be v. extra good!
- If LOLs are more your jam, then head on over to Murmrr Ballroom to catch sets from Ronny Chieng, The Lucas Brothers, Jordan Temple, Tyler Fischer, Sydnee Washington and Martin Urbano! Tickets are $10-$20 a pop.
- But if you’re more into movies, then make a beeline for Nitehawk Williamsburg! Booksmart opens early there with two screenings tonight!
- Too lowbrow? Just go hang out with Antonius Block ‘n Death at Syndicated! They’re screening The Seventh Seal tonight for just $7.
- OR you could always skip all of that and hit up Puma’s indie arcade ft. loads of games and what I presume will be free alcohol considering the event is 21+! Free w/ RSVP.
Friday May 24
- For starters, the latest round of A Drinking Game is happening at the Bell House tonight, and it’s ROMY AND MICHELE THEMED! Grab a $15 ticket and g-g-g-g-go!
- You can also always post up at House of Yes for a $15-$25 roller disco and/or a Tiki Kiki w/ GlamCocks, which is free before 11pm w/ RSVP!
- But let’s also definitely talk about how there’s an Amy Winehouse tribute show happening at Gramercy Theatre for $20!
- Plus St. Lucia have an acoustic set at Irving Plaza for $40+…
- …Four Tet will be at Knockdown Center for $45+…
- …AND you can catch an MGMT DJ set at Schimanski for $25+!
- Speaking of DJ sets, Le1f has one at Trans Pecos for $15!
- Or if you just wanna dance to Drake tunes all night long, get to Brooklyn Bowl to do exactly that! Tickets are $10-$15 each.
- Broke AF? Get to the Knitting Factory before midnight for EmoTronic (an emo rave night), ’cause it’s free w/ RSVP!
Saturday May 25
- Wanna get out of town? Welcome Campers is your best bet! The Wild Honey Pie’s grown-up summer camp features all kinds of dope activities, booze ‘n food, tunes by Wet, Torres, Savoir Adore, Half Waif and more, and tickets start at $200!
- If that sounds too intense for you, then just get out to Asbury Park for Betty Who’s $26+ show at The Stone Pony!
- Or if you wanna keep it local, my top pick is a Lewis OfMan performance at the Knitting Factory! Tickets are $12-$15 each.
- But you can also head to Warsaw for a $25+ show from American Football and Pure Bathing Culture!
- More into dance parties of the K-Pop variety? Get your face to Mercury Lounge! Tickets will set you back $15-$20 each.
- You can also kick things off with ye olde occult at Catland’s latest edition of Zodiac Market, which is (YOU GUESSED IT OR MAYBE ALSO YOU DIDN’T) Gemini-themed! Noon ’til 6pm!
- Speaking of local shopping, Bizarre Bushwick will host its monthly artisan market today, too! Noon to 5pm.
- In terms of LOLs, get to the Bell House for Run the Jokes ft. Aparna Nancherla, Melissa Villasenor, Will Miles and more! Tickets are $15 a pop.
- AND Ingmar Bergman madness continues at Syndicated with a $7 screening of Wild Strawberries tonight!
Sunday May 26
- First things first – hit up Nitehawk Prospect Park bright ‘n early for a new round of Spoons, Toons ‘n Booze!
- Meanwhile, you can catch a screening of A League of Their Own at the Film Forum this morning, too! #THERESNOCRYINGINBASEBALL
- More of an IRL sports fan? You can catch the USWNT at their final match before World Cup madness begins! They face off against Mexico at Red Bull Arena, and tickets start at $52.
- Or maybe you’re more into trying to figure out what in the fuck is happening with astrology, in which case get to Catland for an introduction to astrological houses! Tickets are $15 a pop.
- If d-d-d-d-dancin’ is your MO, then head on over to C’mon Everybody for an evening of Jamiroquai vs. Daft Punk! Tickets are just $5 a pop.
- Got $55+ to blow, though? Hit up Brooklyn Mirage for Anjunabeats!
- Or if you’re broke dot com, you can hang out with the one and only Jonathan Toubin on the roof over at Our Wicked Lady! Free entry w/ RSVP.
- But if you’re not Bergman’d out, then get back on those cinema vibes and head to Syndicated for a $7 screening of Persona, duh!
- “WHAT ABOUT BBQ VIBES, MEGAN?!” If that’s what you’re after, then get to Flushing Meadows for the annual gathering of the Argentines at a gigantic asado!
- AND THEN KILLING EVE, DO NOT MISS IT!
Monday May 27
- First, kick off beach season at Riis Park Beach Bazaar! New Myths are out there havin’ a DJ party today, and it’s free to attend w/ RSVP!
- You can also hit ye olde dance floor at House of Yes’ Memorial Day party ft. tunes by Eli Escobar! Free before 6pm w/ RSVP, BBQ available for purchase while supplies last!
- Don’t feel like dancin’? Just head over to Our Wicked Lady to watch Bring It On for free on their rooftop!
- For indoor vibes, catch our pals a place both wonderful and strange at Wonderville! It’s a new venue and ALSO an arcade, so should be p. gr8.
- Or if it’s queer comedy you’re after, then hit up Stonewall for the latest round of Dyking Out! Tonight’s lineup features Janeane Garofalo, Liza Treyger, Jess Henderson and Lorelei Ramirez, and tickets are just $7 a pop.
- If open mic vibes are more your jam, then head to a new round of Get On The Stage over at Bluestockings! It highlights the voices of Queer/Trans People of Color, Trans, Two Spirit, Gender Non-Conforming, Non-Binary, Intersex and anyone who falls between the margins of those Western labels; speakers can bring poems, prose, music, stand-up and spoken word of any kind! (Cis white queer pals can’t perform, but obviously are encouraged to turn out!)
- Or forget everything I just said and get to Arrogant Swine for their $60 Memorial Day crawfish boil! (I have recently become addicted to crawfish so this sounds v. ideal to me!)