Hello and welcome back to another W-E-E-K-E-N-D! (That spells “WEEKEND”!) I have just accepted the fact that everyone I know was born in March, April and May, and that I will never not be at a birthday party for the rest of my life. (And what little time I have to myself will be devoted to eating pizza and watching back-to-back episodes of Killing Eve + GoT.) But maybe YOUR friends were born during other times of the year, or better yet, maybe you don’t even HAVE friends! (PS you DO have friends! It me!) Whatever the case, if you’re footloose ‘n fancy free this weekend, there’s plenty on the books for you to do! For example, hit up one of 8000 dance parties! Sit in on a foraging lecture! Swing by some art fairs! BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, GO SEE CHER AT BARCLAYS CENTER! (She is our GIF theme in the event you had any doubts.) Before we get into all of that, here’s some RULL CHULL (that’s how to say “real chill” in a real chill way) stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy being angry at the new Sonic trailer!
- We revisited some quality #CONTENT about the complexities of gay sex and how we lost our virginity!
- HERE’S WHY MAY IS GONNA RULE DOT COM! (Hint: Fleabag S2 comes to Amazon Prime, Carly Rae has a new record, Booksmart hits theaters, etc.)
- Let’s just talk about that Game of Thrones episode for a minute…
- This is the new woman laughing alone with salad.
- I had a chat to Bayonne about hot sauce and how he sampled an oven door from his parents’ house on his latest record!
- Jenn has some ideas about how Hallmark Channel can off Lori Loughlin in When Calls the Heart!
- And I ate crawfish for the first time and also watched people blowtorch some alligators!
Thursday May 2
- For starters, Taylor Schilling is the VIP guest for tonight’s edition of NPR’s Ask Me Another! Tickets to that will run you $15-$20 each.
- If it’s LOLs you’re after, head to Union Hall for 1. Sweethearts of Comedy ft. Drew Anderson, Tim Platt, Sydnee Washington, Mary Beth Barone and more, and/or 2. Dr. Gameshow Live w/ Jo Firestone and Manolo Moreno! Both are $10 a pop.
- Meanwhile, the very funny Robert Dean’s got a new show at Littlefield tonight ft. opening sets by Josh Gondelman and Rosebud Baker! Tickets to that are $10.
- There’s also a new round of Adult Sex Ed w/ Dani Faith Leonard happening at Caveat! Tickets are $15-$20 each.
- In terms of tunes, Talos is back in town to play a gig at Baby’s All Right! I caught his opening set for Aurora and it was V. GOOD DOT COM, so would highly recommend grabbing a $10-$12 ticket.
- AND I am v. super stoked on the TR/ST show that’s happening at Elsewhere thanks in no small part to the fact that Lydia Ainsworth will open! Tickets are $25 each. (Tomorrow’s show is sold out, so grab ’em fast!)
- Plus we’ve got The Strumbellas at Brooklyn Steel for $27.50…
- …and (Sandy) Alex G will play a $16 show at House of Independents!
- More into White Lies? Catch ’em at Irving Plaza for $30+!
- BUT, if you’ve got $140+ lying around, then you proooobably need to put it towards seeing Cher at Barclays Center.
- Did you hate everything I just said? Are you more inclined to learn about nature? Sit in on a $22 lecture at Brooklyn Brainery on foraging for ingredients to make food and medicine, duh!
Friday May 3
- For starters, The Other Art Fair kicks off for the weekend at Brooklyn Expo Center today! Tickets are $15 each.
- Speaking of art fairs, Frieze also kicks off officially on Randall’s Island today! Tickets to that one are a little steeper at $57+ each.
- You can also pop on by NYU’s annual Strawberry Fest! Plenty o’ tunes PLUS the world’s longest strawberry shortcake! (NYU, you jokers!) Free and open to the public!
- Later, provided you’ve got $43+ to blow, catch Santigold over at Hammerstein Ballroom!
- Maren Morris is also at Brooklyn Steel for $40…
- and Jorja Smith and Kali Uchis will be at MSG’s Hulu Theater for $50+!
- Or if you wanna get weird ‘n spontaneous, go check out 37d03d at Pioneer Works! Performances are happening tonight and tomorrow, and are the result of a week-long creative residency from the artist roster. Tonight is a headlining performance by Boys Noize, and tomorrow is Big Red Machine (Aaron Dessner of The National + Justin Vernon of Bon Iver), but all artists will participate in some unexpected capacity throughout. Tickets start at $60.
- In terms of dance vibes, head on over to Baby’s All Right for a new round of Dance Yourself Clean: An Indie Dance Party! Tickets are $10-$12 each.
- Or if you’re less into indie and more into Tim Sweeney ‘n Lloydski, then get to Le Bain at The Standard High Line for a FREE (w/ RSVP) dance party instead!
Saturday May 4
- Kick things off with FOOD! Today and tomorrow you’ll have a chance to catch a Smorgasburg Osaka pop-up at Smorgasburg Williamsburg ft. noodles, tonpeiyaki, wagyu, shabu shabu and more! (Entry is free, food is not, DUH!)
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? You can start bright ‘n early at 4pm, ’cause there’s a new round of Yes Homo (America’s favorite queer daytime dance party) happening at C’mon Everybody! No cover!
- (And stick around ’til 8pm, which is when Dominic Sen has a single release show w/ TMBOY and Penthouse Boys! Tickets to that are $10-$12…
- …AND clearly stick around after that for a new round of Yas Mama for even more queer dance vibes! Tickets are $10.)
- Meanwhile, Adventure[s] is hosting It’s Gonna Be May at Brooklyn Bowl ft. tunes by all your favorite boy bands! Tickets are $10 a pop.
- If emo is more your dance party jam, then head to the Knitting Factory for another edition of The Black Parade! Free ’til midnight for the first fifty guests, $10-$15 after that.
- AND it’s a new round of Party Like It’s 1999 at the Bell House! Tonight is the My Name Is Weezer edition, and as always, it’s F-R-E-E!
- Meanwhile, you can show your support for The Lot Radio Kiosk at Market Hotel by grabbing a $15 ticket to their much-awaited reopening party tonight!
- Or for regular ol’ tunes-tunes, you can hit up Elsewhere for Combo Chimbita’s $15-$17 album release party…
- …plus you can head to Brooklyn Bowl for a $27 show from The Lemonheads!
Sunday May 5
- It’s Cinco de Mayo and don’t you forget it! (I mean, you won’t be able to. This is NYC.) House of Yes is having a free dance party all day long, and you’re totally invited, but they ask that you kindly not wear Mexican culture as a costume. (We all ask that you not do this.)
- Nowadays is also hosting Adventures in Flight w/ Douglas Sherman (a free dance party) starting at 3pm and lasting until 9pm! RSVP to get on the list.
- If you just wanna get your house in order, Grand Bazaar is hosting the NYC Home Decor and Furniture Bazaar from 10am to 5:30pm! Free entry, all profits donated to four local public schools.
- You can also spend the afternoon at Carnegie Hall with the Metropolitan Youth Orchestra! Tickets start at $18.
- In terms of comedy, we’ve got early and late seatings of #ADULTING with the one and only Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos!
- Speaking of Michelle Buteau, you can also catch her over at the Bell House for Persisticon III: There Is No Planet B ft. host Ophira Eisenberg, Alex Borstein and MORE! Tickets are $50-$150 each, and proceeds will benefit Emily’s List.
- Or if you just wanna get outdoors, Catland is opening its garden for the season today! They’ll be offering garden tours all day with house herbalist and garden manager Melissa Madara, plus they’re giving away hand-blended incense, fresh herbal teas and botanical cocktails.
- Pale kid? Still reeling from last week’s Game of Thrones and are in need of a place to watch what happens next? Skip the outdoors and just head straight to Syndicated after dark for a free viewing party!