Hello and welcome back to another W-W-W-W-WEEKEND! I’m still a little jet-lagged from my trip to Ireland! Did you miss me? (Don’t answer that, I already know you did SO SO SO MUCH!) There’s lots of great stuff going on this weekend, you guys! We’re talking 800 dance parties! Drink ‘n draw zine times! Russian Doll chats with Natasha Lyonne! (Our GIF theme, clearly!) Before we dive into all ye olde details, here’s some rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were shaking your fist in fury so hard at the sky after Green Book won Best Picture because problematic!
- FIRST of all, do y’all have tickets to Death Becomes Us (our true crime festival) yet? We’ve got INCREDIBLE guests on the lineup (Amanda Knox! Paul Holes!), plus our opening night party is gonna be a PARTY MONSTER THEMED RAVE thanks to our buddies at Mixmag!
- Speaking of which, “You don’t put people who have taken lives on a T-shirt. I don’t believe in an afterlife. I wish I did, a million times over I wish I did, but for anybody to take away anyone’s life, it’s the thing I cannot abide by. I’m never going to glorify that person.” #HEAVY! Here’s Jenn’s chat w/ Billy Jensen!
- Let’s lighten things up with this listening party we did w/ Glassio!
- Plus we talked neon slime ‘n Saturday morning cartoons w/ Lindsay A. Hall!
- It’s a jungle of podcasts out there! Here are five episodes we think you should listen to specifically!
- We get a lot of bonkers emails here are BYT! Here are the best subject lines we received last week!
Thursday, February 28
- First, the OBVIOUS choice is to head to 92Y for an evening w/ Natasha Lyonne and Leslye Headland as they talk Russian Doll w/ Emily Nussbaum! Tickets are $35 each.
- Or if you wanna catch the premiere of Season 11 of RuPaul’s Drag Race, set your sights on Syndicated! (They’re screening it for free in the bar tonight!)
- Meanwhile, Ten Bones Theatre Company is back at it again at Littlefield for another round of Entirely From Memory! This time it’s The Princess Bride, and tickets are $12 a pop.
- You can also swing by Caveat for the latest editions of Why Your Train is F*cked ($15-$20) and/or Kevin Allison’s RISK ($15)!
- Plus major comedy vibes from C’mon Everybody! They’re hosting Quitters ft. Marcia Belsky, Karen Chee and more, and everybody’ll be talking about their biggest failures! Tickets are $8-$10 each, and 10% of the show proceeds will be donated to Everytown For Gun Safety.
- More into food vibes? Brooklyn Brainery is hosting a course on the history of chocolate tonight for $14!
- If it’s tunes you’re after, then my top pick goes to a $12 Ed Schrader’s Music Beat show at Alphaville…
- …which is neck and neck with a Chrome Sparks gig at Music Hall of Williamsburg that’ll run you $20!
- AND Emily Wells is set to premiere her brand new record over at House of Yes tonight! Tickets are $16. (Plus stick around for the latest round of Dirty Thursday, which is Rihanna themed and free as always!)
Friday, March 1
- In terms of LOLs, you can hit up Union Hall for TWO solid shows tonight – the first is Whiplash ft. Rob Haze, Liza Treyger and more ($8-$10), and the second is The Scientists ft. Blythe Roberson, Madelyn Freed, Nore Davis, Rebecca O’Neal and more (also $8-$10)!
- More into le cinema? Get to Caveat for Asian American Film Thing ft. screenings of shorts by Asian-American filmmakers! Tickets are just $8-$10 each.
- Plus it’s Yorgos Lanthimos mania at Syndicated this weekend! In addition to The Favourite, you can catch $7 screenings of Dogtooth (one of my favorite movies of all time) and The Killing of a Sacred Deer!
- Or if you’ve just been meaning to get into astrology because you don’t know what in the fuck anyone is talking about in their Tinder bios, then pop on by Catland for a $10 intro course!
- If queer-friendly dance vibes are more in your wheelhouse, then head to C’mon Everybody for Cheap Thrills’ Female Trouble, a $5 trash rock ‘n roll night!
- For old school *dubstep* vibes, though, you’ll need to get yourself to the Knitting Factory for The Drop! Free w/ RSVP!
- Personally I feel like Elsewhere is where it’s at tonight, ’cause there’s a stacked lineup from 11pm to 5am ft. Etapp Kyle, SHXCXCHCXSH (Live), Umfang, Saoirse and Pablo Romero & Donis for $20-$25!
- BUT you can also head to Baby’s All Right for a new round of Dance Yourself Clean, the montly indie dance party that’ll run you just $10-$12.
Saturday, March 2
- The Bell House is where it’s at today! First, go drink wine ‘n beer, plus snack on lots o’ yum dot com bites, all for $15-$25 a ticket! Later, it’s a new round of Queer EyeRL ft. Larry Owens, Aaron Jackson, Pat Regan, Jon Wan and Zach Zimmerman! Tickets to that are $10-$15 each. (And after THAT, cut a rug at the latest edition of Party Like It’s 1999! Free as usual!)
- More into learning? Catland is hosting a course called Mental Health & The Tarot for $30!
- But maybe you just wanna talk about sex, bay-BEE, in which case head on over to Caveat for the latest round of Adult Sex Ed w/ Dani Faith Leonard! Tickets are $15-$20 each.
- Or if podcasts are your thing, then you’ll wanna grab a $79 day pass to On Air Fest 2019 at the Wythe Hotel! (You can also grab one for tomorrow, but unfortunately the bundle passes are SOLD OUT!)
- If d-d-d-d-dancin’ (and queer-friendly d-d-d-d-dancin’ at that) is more your jam, then get to C’mon Everybody this afternoon for Yes Homo, a FREE queer daytime dance party!
- Plus there’s a new round of The Black Parade (America’s favorite emo dance party, duh) at the Knitting Factory! Free admission to the first fifty people who RSVP!
- For general live show vibes, my top pick for tonight is a $12 Ela Minus gig at Elsewhere!
- In terms of cinematic vibes, the Yorgos Lanthimos times continue at Syndicated! Catch a $7 screening of The Lobster, duh!
- Or just do what I’m gonna do, aka head to New Women Space for Drink & Draw & Zine, a fundraiser for the upcoming NYC Feminist Zine Fest! Tickets are $15 and include one drink ticket!
Sunday, March 3
- For starters, hit up Nitehawk Williamsburg for brunch screenings of 9 to 5 AND Foxy Brown!
- (And while we’re talking movies, it’s the last round of Green Screen this season! Catch an experiential screening of Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure for $22+!)
- You can also head to House of Yes for a new round of Deep House Yoga at noon! Tickets are $25 a pop.
- Recently Marie Kondo your life? Delete that non-joy-sparking stuff! Bring it to BKLYN Commons for the Bushwick Stop ‘N Swap! Free, 11am to 2pm!
- Or trek it out to Sunnyside for the 7th annual Irish Music Festival from 3pm onwards!
- Later, it’s the Big Queer Chili Cookoff at C’mon Everybody! RSVP for free entry, and vote for your favorite with cash // proceeds will benefit RAPP Campaign: Release Aging People in Prison, the nonprofit working to end mass incarceration and promote racial justice by getting elderly and infirm people out of prison.
- In terms of comedy, CLEARLY make a beeline for Union Hall for one of two rounds of #ADULTING w/ Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos! Each one’ll run you $10.
- And while we’re on the subject of LOLs, you can get those AND drag bingo AND burlesque AND live tunes at the Bell House today! That’s right, there’s a Mardi Gras party happening ft. Pat Regan, Christi Chiello and more! Tickets are $25 each, and all proceeds will go to Southern Echo — a Mississippi-based non-profit that helps underrepresented, low-wealth people of color become architects of change through public policy.
- In the realm of tunes, 100% head to Brooklyn Steel, where there’s a $30 WET x Kilo Kish and Hana Vu show tonight!
- PLUS Landlady and Lizzie Loveless will take over Rough Trade for $12-$14!