Welcome back to another weekend! As of yesterday I am another year older and (potentially) wiser! Hence I am EXTRA qualified to tell you what to do the next couple of days! There’s lots on the agenda, from a dream interpretation course to Tinder Live to a Bowie tribute dance party (our GIF theme), so get ready to hear about all of that momentarily! BUT FIRST! Let’s talk about all the #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week!
- This is our 2019 vision board!
- Trying your hand at Veganuary? Here are my tips for survival!
- We caught a rad EP release show from Table Talk at Amityville Music Hall, and here are the snaps to prove it!
- Ever wanted to try that fabled King Kong Banana Split from Master of None? You can! Here’s where!
- And here’s our weekly streaming guide if you’re feeling like a gosh dang couch potato!
Thursday, January 10th
- Into books and/or TV? Catch Alan Sepinwall and Matt Zoller Seitz at Strand Bookstore to talk all things The Soprano Sessions! You can gain admission by grabbing a $15 Strand gift card, or pay $30 for admission AND a signed copy of the book.
- (Plus An Xiao Mina will be unpacking the mechanics of memes in honor of Memes To Movements, so grab a $25 copy of the book to attend the discussion!)
- Trying to get mystical tonight? Head to Catland for a $15 Intro To Dream Interpretation course!
- In terms of tunes, you’re probably gonna wanna get to House of Yes for an Idgy Dean x (Run) DMC collab! Tickets are $13+, so grab ’em fast.
- You can ALSO catch Queen of Swords w/ Nighttime and Verdigrls at Alphaville tonight for just $10!
- Or like, just go hang out w/ some juggalos at Brooklyn Bazaar! Tickets are $20 each.
- OR if you’re just broke as hell, be sure to RSVP to the latest round of Dirty Thursday (90s edition) at House of Yes! $0!
- Plus there’s a free (w/ RSVP) SIX HOUR LONG Juan MacLean DJ set happening at Elsewhere tonight!
Friday, January 11th
- For starters, it’s a new round of Tinder Live at Littlefield w/ our girl Lane Moore! Always a good time, and tickets are $15 each.
- (You should also stick around for a Bowie tribute dance party which’ll only run ya $5 a ticket!)
- Of course, if straight up DISCO is more your jam, then make a beeline for C’mon Everybody, where it’s a new round of A Night At The Baths! Tickets are also just $5 each.
- In terms of tunes-tunes, head to Brooklyn Bowl for a $20 show from Big Freedia and Salt Cathedral!
- PLUS Rayland Baxter, Margaret Glaspy and Illiterate Lights are all at Brooklyn Steel for $22.50!
- Just wanna TALK about tunes? Head to Strand Books for Somebody To Love: A Feminist Reading of Freddie Mercury! Tickets are $20 a pop, and there’ll be complimentary beer to sweeten the deal!
- If you wanna get in on the Brooklyn Podcast Festival action, head to Union Hall for The Unofficial Expert Podcast w/ Sydnee Washington and Marie Faustin! Tickets are $10-$15 a pop.
- More into cinema? Catch a screening of The Unholy Three at Metrograph ft. live score by Gary Lucas! Tickets are $15 each.
- And if you don’t mind hangin’ around like a standby dog (I honestly might do it), Yorgos Lanthimos (who I wish was my husband) will be at Lincoln Center for an extended conversation and screening of The Favourite // YES, PLEASE.
- Plus can we just talk about how TOTAL LEDGE Senator Kamala Harris will be in conversation at 92Y for $20?!
- But let’s go full circle w/ the LOLs here and shout-out the latest edition of Regular Comedy at Baby’s All Right ft. Rosebud Baker, Julio Torres, Mike Lebovitz, Martin Urbano and Dan Soder! Tickets are $12.
Saturday, January 12th
- For starters, get to the Bell House this afternoon for Andrew Talks To Chefs! Lineup features Tom Colicchio, Alex Raij, Alan Harding and more, and tickets are $15 each!
- You can also continue the Brooklyn Podcast Festival vibes with Subdue the Guru: A Gist Game Show at Union Hall! Tickets are $25 each.
- (Plus stick around for Dark Tank after that ft. Yedoye Travis, Nore Davis, Marie Faustin and more! Tickets are $10-$15.)
- More into tunes? Big Freedia is at Brooklyn Bowl again tonight for $20!
- Meanwhile, Computer Magic is posting up at the Knitting Factory for $15!
- And our buddy THE NATVRAL (aka Kip Berman) is playing Nha Minh for just $8!
- Or if Mal Blum is more your jam, then swing on by Park Church Co-op for a $12-$15 set!
- But maybe you just have a lot of feelings, in which case head to EmoTronic: Emo Rave Night at Saint Vitus! Totally free w/ RSVP.
- There’s ALSO Take Me Out: 2000s Disco Punk Nite at the Knitting Factory that’s equally free w/ RSVP!
- AND, AND! Wow, we have so many throwback dance parties to choose from! There’s 6 Underground: 90s Alternative Dance Party happening at Brooklyn Bazaar for $10! PICK YER POISON!
Sunday, January 13th
- Kick things off at House of Yes, where the NYC Cannabis Film Festival is happening today for $30!
- But also note that it is apparently the No Pants Subway Ride again. That is still a thing.
- In terms of LOLs, the very funny Jon Glaser will be testing out new material at Littlefield for $10-$12!
- Or close out your Brooklyn Podcast Festival weekend with #ADULTING w/ Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos at Union Hall! Tickets are just $10 each.
- (And stick around for Stand By Your Band ft. Tom Thakkar, Tommy McNamara, Nikki Glaser, Melissa Villasenor and more after that! Tickets are $7-$10 a pop.)
- At the Bell House, meanwhile, it’s Jezebel’s Dirtcast ft. Aja from Drag Race! Tickets are $10 each.
- More into t-t-t-t-tunes? Look no further than an $8-$10 New Myths show at Baby’s All Right, duh!
- Or maybe you fuckin’ love you some Harry Potter vibes, in which case get to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden for this month’s Botanical World of Harry Potter Tour! Free w/ regular admission.