HAPPY NEW YEAR, YOU GUYS! Did you have a real great time gettin’ drunk and dancin’ on the corpse of 2018? I didn’t, because it was raining and I had a cold! It’s not raining anymore, but I still have the cold! That’s neither here nor there! We have arrived at yet another weekend! And THIS ONE happens to be chockablock full of things to do, including a David Bowie party, a Stevie Nicks vs. Debbie Harry roller disco, Under The Radar Festival and (perhaps most importantly) the Golden Globes, which’ll be hosted by Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg! I love Sandra Oh more than I love myself, and I especially love her in Killing Eve, so GUESS WHAT?! Yes, our GIF theme WILL be Killing Eve! (Would also highly recommend watching it this weekend if you haven’t seen yet! Or re-watching it if you have!)
Before we get into all that, here is the minimal but still important stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week (WE WERE ON VACATION JUST LIKE YOU, SUE US!):
- Here’s a rad music video premiere for Bay Area-based band Zelma Stone!
- AND here’s why January is going to be dope as hell!
Thursday, January 3
- First up, if you’re into theater, then you’ll be pumped to know this year’s Under The Radar Festival kicks off today! Here’s the full lineup of shows running now thru the 13th.
- You can also swing by BRIC to catch sound artists Thessia Machado and Ranjit Bhatnagar, as well as performing artist and engineer Ed Bear, creating new audiovisual instruments, systems and sculptures from e-waste! (Pretty rad, and also free to attend!)
- Of course, if that’s not your jam, you can always go skate off your post-holiday winter bod at Dreamland Roller Disco! Tonight’s theme is Stevie Nicks vs. Debbie Harry, and tickets are $12+!
- Into tunes but not into skating? Keep it simple at Elsewhere, where the inimitable Ian Chang will be performing tonight for $12!
- In terms of LOLs, swing by Union Hall for Sweethearts of Comedy ft. Cole Escola, Catherine Cohen, Larry Owens and more! Tickets are $10 a pop.
- It’s also a new round of Lasers In The Jungle at UCB East tonight ft. Lorelei Ramirez, Nina Tarr and more! Tickets are $9 each.
- Plus it’s On The Moon Arts Holiday Party: An Intergalactic Variety Festival at Littlefield ft. Ophira Eisenberg, Adira Amram and The Experience, Larry Owens and more! Tickets are $20.
- Just wanna keep it creepy? Swing by Syndicated for a $7 screening of Psycho!
Friday, January 4
- For starters, CLEARLY make a beeline for C’mon Everybody, where Let’s Dance: A David Bowie Party is happening for just $5!
- Or if that somehow ain’t your jam, get to the Knitting Factory for Daft Disko: A French House & Disco Dance Party! Free before midnight w/ RSVP.
- For comedy vibes, get to Union Hall for TWO solid shows tonight – the first is Whiplash! ft. Aparna Nancherla, Liza Treyger and more ($8-$10), and the second is Done! w/ Betsy Kenney and Dara Katz ($8-$10)!
- Meanwhile, it’s Quitters w/ Sam Corbin and Ian Goldstein over at C’mon Everybody! Tickets are $8-$10 each. Tonight’s lineup includes Joe Rumrill, Taylor Ortega and more!
- It’s also DAY TWO of On The Moon Arts Holiday Party: An Intergalactic Variety Festival at Littlefield, and tonight’s lineup features Lizz Winstead, Dave Hill and more! Tickets are $15-$20.
- In terms of live tunes, catch A Place Both Wonderful And Strange at Our Wicked Lady for $10!
- Plus there’s a Punk Island benefit showcase at Sunnyvale tonight that’ll also run you $10!
- Of course, if YOU wanna be on the mic, then you can always scream your little hardcore heart out at Saint Vitus for this month’s Kill ‘Em All Karaoke! Free as always!
Saturday, January 5
- For starters, head to Nitehawk for a brunch screening of Sleepless In Seattle, duh!
- If it’s comedy you’re after, look no further than Union Hall for two more solid gigs – the first is Picture This ft. Janelle James, Alyssa Stonoha and more ($8-$10), and the second is Only Child Syndrome w/ Addie Weyrich ft. Anthony Atamanuik, Larry Owens and more ($8-$10)!
- Meanwhile, it’s Queer EyeRL at the Bell House ft. Matt Rogers, Pat Regan, Larry Owens, Jon Wan and Zach Zimmerman! Tickets are $10-$15 each.
- (PLUS stick around for a new round of Party Like It’s 1999 after that! It’s Britney One More Time themed tonight, and as always, it’s FREE!)
- More into t-t-t-t-tunes? Indigo De Souza, gobbinjr and The Glow will all be at Alphaville for just $10!
- Plus Oh My Rockness will present its Hardest Working Bands of 2018 showcase at Baby’s All Right ft. Gustaf, Anna Altman, Nihiloceros and more! Tickets to that are also just $10!
- If dancin’ is your MO, though, then most definitely hit up The Bunker’s 16th anniversary party at Elsewhere! Lineup features Function, Mareena, Bryan Kasenic, Mike Servito, Lauren Flax AND Unjust, and tickets will run you $15-$25 each.
- Or if you’re more of a Morrissey/The Smiths kinda guy, then get to Saint Vitus for a new round of Oscillate Wildly! Tickets are $5-$8, or get free admission with Smiths/Morrissey/Marr shirt or Smiths/Morrissey/Marr tattoo!
Sunday, January 6
- Kick your day off w/ a new round of Deep House Yoga at House of Yes! Tickets are $25 each.
- Or if you’re in search of LOLs, you can catch the one and only Monroe Martin over at Union Hall for $10!
- But maybe you’re mainly concerned about watching the Golden Globes tonight, in which case probably hit up Littlefield for a FREE viewing party!
- Or if Syndicated is more your jam, they’ll also be hosting a free viewing party ft. a prediction contest and specialty cocktails inspired by the year in film and TV!
- Unless you want the screening to be a little more experiential, because then you should grab a $15-$18 ticket to catch ’em at Caveat – there’ll be live performances during commercial breaks, you’ll get a ballot to fill out, plus there’ll be a drinking game component!
- “The Golden Globes are TOO MAINSTREAM, MEGAN!” Well, make your Sunday a little weirder with a Tarot 101 course over at Catland, then! Admission is $15+.
- More into tunes? Just get to Our Wicked Lady for a $10 show from Stuyedeyed!
- AND Noname will be at Brooklyn Steel (last night’s gig SOLD OUT, so grab tickets to this one ASAP) for $25-$30!