WELL HEY! Are you back yet? Did you ever leave? Does it even matter? WELCOME TO THE DEATH RATTLE OF 2018! Make the most of your last moments of this trash fire of a year at SO MANY THINGS, like dance parties and screenings of Little Women! (A true classic and also our GIF theme!) Before we get into the details of all the ways you can seize the day, let’s first get you caught up on all the stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week while you were being passive aggressive with your annoying family!
- These are the best things we ate and drank while traveling this year! (All of my contributions are Scandinavian hot dogs!)
- Here are the 18 best photos from our Flickr account that we uploaded in 2018!
- We thought Bumblebee and If Beale Street Could Talk were p. good, Aquaman was just okay, and Vice was p. bad!
- And I went to the new Nitehawk Prospect Park location // I AM OBSESSED!
Thursday, December 27
- If you’re not sick o’ ye olde holidays yet, pop over to LPR for HO-HO BINGO aka the holiday edition of Linda Loves Bingo! Free to attend!
- Or if you wanna d-d-d-d-dance, probably definitely head to House of Yes for the Ugly Sweater edition of Dirty Thursday! As always, it’s free w/ RSVP!
- You can also head to Brooklyn Bowl for a $10 Talib Kweli DJ set!
- (Personally I think you should hit up Le Bain for Bonus Beats ft. Lauren Flax, JD Samson and Amber Valentine, but YOU DO YOU!)
- More into LIVE TUNES?! Catch our buddy Julia Kwamya aka GERMANS over at C’mon Everybody for $10!
- For LOLs, head to Union Hall! Marcia Belsky and Rae Sanni will be joined by Mitra Jouhari, Jo Firestone and MORE, and tickets are just $10 a pop.
- Meanwhile, it’s a new round of Lasers In The Jungle at UCB East ft. Justin Cousson, Sandy Honig and more! Tickets to that one are $9 each.
- More into movies? Frances Ha is screening at Syndicated for $7 tonight!
Friday, December 28
- Eat too many cookies this past week and now look like a Christmas ham? WELL, you can always skate off your winter bod at House of Yes, where they’re hosting a roller disco tonight for $10-$20 a ticket!
- (You can also stick around for Throwback Friday w/ Jubilee ft. ALL the nostalgic tunes from the 80s and 90s! Free before 11pm w/ RSVP, and then it’ll creep all the way up to $30 // IT PAYS TO BE EARLY!)
- And before we leave the subject of mega dance vibes, let’s talk about how Neon Indian and Duty Free will be setting up shop at Good Room tonight for $15!
- If you’re more into regular ol’ live shows, then swing by Elsewhere for a $10-$12 Kath Bloom, Adeline Hotel and Luke Rathborne gig!
- Plus Gibbz and argonaut&wasp will be at Mercury Lounge for $10-$12, too!
- And while I wouldn’t ordinarily recommend a trek out to NJ, Japanese Breakfast will play a show at Asbury Lanes tonight w/ support from Gabby’s World, and that, to me, feels PRETTY WORTH IT. Tickets are just $16 a pop!
- In terms of comedy, make a beeline for the Bell House! It’s A Gay Show For All People: Holiday Spectacular tonight ft. Aaron Jackson, Josh Sharp, Naomi Ekperigin, Jaboukie Young-White and more, and tickets are $10-$15 each.
- Meanwhile, Zach Zimmerman’s got an album recording over at Union Hall! Grab tickets for $8-$10.
- (Plus stick around for See You In Hell after that ft. Tommy McNamara, Anthony DeVito and more! Tickets are $8-$10 each.)
- For movie vibes, pound a cup of coffee and get to Nitehawk for a midnight screening of Fargo!
- Or if that’s way past your bedtime, you can just hit up Metrograph for one of two earlier screenings of Gremlins instead!
Saturday, December 29
- For starters, CLEARLY head to Nitehawk for brunch screenings of Hook and Little Women! (Or if you can’t make it out today, both are also screening tomorrow, aka Sunday.)
- Later, if your main focus is boozin’, then hit up Caveat for the Islands edition of Planet Earth Drinking Game! 100% FREE!
- More into t-t-t-t-tunes? I hate to say it, but I’m gonna super recommend heading out to Asbury Lanes again tonight for a $25 Margo Price gig!
- If you wanna keep it more local, catch The Hood Internet at Brooklyn Bowl for $15!
- (The Felice Brothers are there tonight, too, just a little bit earlier! Tickets are $20 a pop.)
- You can also head to Union Pool for a $20 show from Come and Sadie Dupuis + Andy Molholt of Speedy Ortiz!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Moon Boots will be at Elsewhere tonight for $15-$25!
- Of course, if it’s LOLs you’re after, head to Union Hall for B-B-B-B-Bits w/ Barats & Friends ft. Matt Barats, Jo Firestone, Anthony Oberbeck and more! Tickets are $8-$10 a pop.
- Meanwhile, it’s a new round of We Hope YOU Have Fun at UCB East ft. Matt Rogers, Alex Song and more! Tickets to that one are $9 each.
- Or go get ready for 2019 at Catland (America’s favorite witch shop) for a $10 course on purification rites and protection magick!
Sunday, December 30
- If it’s comedy vibes you’re after, most DEFINITELY get to Union Hall for Everyday Decisions w/ Jo Firestone! Lineup includes Janeane Garofalo, Michelle Buteau and more, and tickets are $7-$10 each.
- More into movies? Metrograph is screening Phantom Thread and Eyes Wide Shut tonight!
- In terms of tunes, The Lone Bellow will be at Bowery Ballroom w/ Courtney Marie Andrews for $35+!
- Buster Poindexter’s also at City Winery’s Loft for $30+…
- …OR (and I hate to do it to you again, BUT I CAN’T HELP IT) head on out to Asbury Lanes for a $22+ Hop Along and Diet Cig show!
- Or if you just wanna cut a rug, head to Nowadays for Soul Summit! Tickets are $10 each.
- (PLUS you can catch MANIK at Good Room for $10-$15.)
- But let’s also talk about how it’s the last night to catch Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard’s Christmas Show on Broadway tonight! I don’t really know why you would want to see this but it feels important to discuss! Tickets are $49+!