Welcome back to another round of BEST WEEKEND BETS! I’ll only be around for half of it, but if you plan on hangin’ tight, there’s PLENTY to keep you occupied that doesn’t suck! (Except for screenings of Carol, because Carol sucks! I will never not force-feed you my widely unaccepted opinions about Carol! Carol is also our GIF theme, because I do recognize that it is at least a visually appealing film, if nothing else! Why is Therese so insufferable! Why are Carol’s hands! That was a complete thought! WHY ARE CAROL’S HANDS!)
Before we dive into all that jazz, let’s first talk about some ultra-gr8 #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week while you were selling your internal organs on the black market to be able to afford Christmas gifts and/or seasonal airfare!
- Here are (what we think are) the best (non-political) books of 2018!
- Here’s (what I think is) the best seasonally-appropriate band merch!
- Feel free to argue with us about our favorite movies from 2018, but we’re right and you’re wrong so shut up!
- Speaking of which, headed to the cinema anytime soon? We fucking loved Shoplifters and Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse!
- (Mary Queen of Scots…not so much!)
- We caught Manchester Orchestra + The Front Bottoms at BK Steel and it was good!
- AND we went to Art Basel so you never have to!
Thursday, December 20
- Kick things off w/ some LOLs at Union Hall! Guy Montgomery Presents: I’m Friends With These People is happening, and guests include Mitra Jouhari, Lorelei Ramirez, Dan Licata and more! Tickets are $10 a pop.
- Plus it’s a new round of Regular Comedy at Villain ft. Melissa Villaseñor, Aparna Nancherla, Ronny Chieng, Chris Gethard, Gary Gulman, Anna Drezen, Ramy Youssef AND hosts Casey James Salengo + Courtney Maginnis! Wow wow wow! Tickets are $12 each.
- You can also get into ye olde holiday spirit at the Bell House, where A Drinking Game NYC is Santa Clause-themed tonight! Tickets are $15 each.
- For movie vibes, provided you’ve got eight hundred years of your life to spare (because it is a v. long film), head to IFC Center for a screening of It’s A Wonderful Life introduced by Donna Reed’s daughter, Mary Owen! (And if you miss it tonight, you can catch her introducing screenings now thru Christmas Eve.)
- Or like, just go watch The Bling Ring at Metrograph // YOU DO YOU!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Get to Union Pool for a new round of PAT Party w/ JD Samson! Free as always!
- Or if live tunes are more your jam, pop on over to Rough Trade for a $15 show from Honduras and Bodega…
- …or swing by Elsewhere to catch Salt Cathedral, Jackie Mendoza and Pecas for $12!
Friday, December 21
- My top pick tonight is what I PERSONALLY am going to be doing, aka dancing (badly) to DJ sets by Avalon Emerson, Or:la and Hunter Lombard at Elsewhere! Tickets are $25 a pop.
- If emo dance time is more your thing, then get to the Knitting Factory for a new round of The Black Parade! Free w/ RSVP, $5 w/o.
- For comedy, hit up Union Hall for a new round of The Scientists w/ Blythe Roberson and Madelyn Freed! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- (You can ALSO stick around for SecretFormula’s Christmas Pop Singalong after that! Tickets are $10.)
- Meanwhile, you can keep it hella queer at Caveat, where Gayme Show is happening tonight for $10-$12!
- (And if you roll up early, you can get in on a free w/ RSVP Astronomy Solstice Party! $5 w/o RSVP.)
- But back to those queer vibes! Find more of them at Metrograph, where Carol is screening tonight, and all weekend! PS, let the record show YET AGAIN that I think Carol is a very not good film! (I am queer so I am allowed to say this with some level of authority, even though no one else agrees with me!)
- Do you, too, find Carol highly overrated? (Wow, you and me against the world!!!) Then head to Syndicated instead for $7 screenings of Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas!
- AND/OR catch midnight screenings of Die Hard and Black Christmas over at Nitehawk tonight and tomorrow night!
Saturday, December 22
- If you feel your holiday party quota has not yet been met, head to Littlefield for an ugly sweater party that kicks off bright ‘n early at 11am! Tickets are $10.
- Plus learn all about the secret history of NYC holidays at Caveat! Tickets are $15-$18 each.
- (And after THAT, there’s a Yiddish punk showcase happening for $15-$20!)
- Need to do some last-minute occult Christmas shopping? Make a beeline for Catland, duh! They’ll have their Yule Market going on from noon to six today.
- (You can also stick around for a $15 Winter Solstice full moon ritual, if you’re into that sort of thing.)
- SPEAKING of Solstice celebrations, there’s a party that’s happening at House of Yes tonight for $25+!
- More into tunes? Hit up City Winery for Ronnie Spector & The Ronettes’ Best Christmas Party Ever, duh! Tickets are $55+.
- Or if you’d rather just kick back w/ some holiday films, get to Syndicated for $7 screenings of Elf, A Christmas Story and The Nightmare Before Christmas!
Sunday, December 23
- For starters, spend your afternoon doing Metal Yoga at Cobra Club, obviously! V. RELAX! Tickets are $13.
- Later, catch ROUND TWO of Ronnie Spector & The Ronettes’ Best Christmas Party Ever at City Winery! Tickets are $55+ again.
- Meanwhile, Young Paris will be at the Knitting Factory for $20!
- In terms of comedy, be sure to hit up Union Hall for the latest round of The Lesbian Agenda w/ Sophie Santos and Jess Salomon! Lineup this time includes Claudia Cogan, Wanjiko Eke, Jessica Henderson and Scarlet Snow, and tickets are $10-$12 a pop!
- Or if movies are more your jam, get to Syndicated for $7 screenings of Elf, A Christmas Story and Eyes Wide Shut!
- OR go get spooky at Alamo Drafthouse w/ a 10pm screening of Dial Code Santa Claus!
- Still need to get some shopping done? The Renegade Craft Fair is happening at the Brooklyn Expo Center today starting at 11am, and it’s F-R-E-E to attend!
- Just wanna learn about medicinal mushrooms? (I KNEW IT!) Hit up the Alchemist’s Kitchen for a $14-$16 course this afternoon!