Welcome back to another WEEKEND, you guys! It’s been a long time comin’ amirite?! How’s your week been? I’ve been babysitting a bunch of dogs! Also, a homeless man told me “YOU’RE GONNA DIE!” yesterday and I was like “That is so accurate! Everybody dies!” What an exciting seven days it’s been since we last spoke! Anyway, there’s a lot of real great stuff happening over the course of the next ninety-six hours, INCLUDING but not limited to dance parties, quality comedy shows AND motherfucking Lebowski Fest! (Our GIF theme, clearly!) Before we get into all the details, here’s some good #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy wondering how you’re gonna pay for all those holiday gifts our culture of consumerism will never let us escape!
- OUR GIFT GUIDE IS OFFICIALLY HERE! Check out round one here, and round two is up on the site at 9am sharp today!
- (I also told you what kinds of stocking stuffers I approve!)
- We asked some of our favorite chefs which cookbooks made them want to get into the culinary field in the first place! (Bourdain unsurprisingly gets name-dropped a lot!)
- I ate a lobster roll topped with Petrossian caviar at Luke’s Lobster and oh my god it was a religious experience! You can grab one now through the end of the year!
- We saw Mitski play Brooklyn Steel and it was amazing! Mitksi 4ever!
- And we had a chat to the one and only Soccer Mommy about all of the things!
Thursday, December 6
- For comedy vibes, hit up Union Hall for Jenny’s Birthday Variety Show ft. a whole SLEW of funny people, including but not limited Eman El-Husseini, Ayo Edebiri, Ziwe Fumudoh, Sydnee Washington and Karen Chee! Tickets are $10.
- Plus the Janelle James Comedy Festival continues at the Bell House tonight w/ Comedians Who Said “Sure, I’ll Come By” ft. Eugene Mirman, Catherine Cohen, Nore Davis and more! Tickets are $25 a pop.
- AND 2 Dope Queens is happening at Kings Theatre, and tickets to that are $35!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Catch Bonobo’s DJ set over at Output tonight for $30!
- More into free dance parties? Just get to House of Yes for Dirty Thursday: 90s Night!
- If it’s LIVE tunes you’re after, swing by Baby’s All Right for the third annual Stereogum Christmas Show ft. Priests, Empath and Nervous Dater! Tickets are $15-$20 each.
- Alt 92.3 is also taking over Barclays Center for Not So Silent Night ft. performances by Florence and the Machine, Death Cab for Cutie, CHVRCHES and more! Tickets are $75+.
- Or for some Matisyahu action, head to Brooklyn Steel for Festival of Light 2018! Tickets are $35 each.
- Rather be hanging out at the McKittrick Hotel? Catch Devotchka there for $27.50! (No, that price does not include Sleep No More admission, sorry!)
- Or tone it back down with a $15 Marissa Nadler show at Rough Trade!
Friday, December 7
- For starters, it’s LEBOWSKI FEST AT GRAMERCY THEATRE! Tickets are $25+ each.
- Let’s continue w/ t-t-t-t-tunes, shall we? Justus Proffit and Jay Som are at Baby’s All Right for just $13-$15!
- Plus OSHUN will be at Brooklyn Bazaar for $20…
- …and Sunflower Bean will be at Warsaw for $18!
- You can ALSO catch The Values and Pinc Louds at City Winery for $12.
- More into LOLs? Head to Union Hall for Pop Show w/ Ziwe Fumudoh, Rebecca O’Neal, Catherine Cohen and more! Tickets are $8-$10.
- AND it’s a new round of 2 Dope Queens at Kings Theatre! Tickets are still $35 a pop.
- Or if you’re more into film, then catch a screening of My Summer of Love (in which Emily Blunt is very annoying but sure I’ll still watch her pretend to be gay) at Moving Image!
- There are ALSO midnight screenings of both Female Trouble AND Home Alone at Nitehawk! YESSSSS!
Saturday, December 8
- Think you’ll be up and at ’em by 11am? Pop on by Moving Image for a screening of The Nightmare Before Christmas!
- Or if that’s way too early, play it safe with more midnight screenings of Female Trouble and Home Alone at Nitehawk!
- In terms of comedy, Union Hall’s got TWO solid shows in the way of Oh, Such A Good Show, Oh! (ft. Kate Willet, Nimesh Patel, Naomi Ekperigin and more, $8-$10) and Backfat Variety (ft. Emily Winter, Shane Torres and more, $6-$8)!
- More into tunes? Khruangbin have a DJ set at Baby’s All Right tonight for $15-$20 a ticket!
- You can also cut a rug with Le Youth over at Elsewhere for $20-$25!
- Plus 1-800 Dinosaur will be at 99 Scott for $25-$50…
- …AND it’s Cyndi Lauper’s annual holiday show at Beacon Theatre tonight! Tickets are $50+.
- Meanwhile, Kimbra’s at Murmrr Theatre for $25+…
- …Amber Run will play Music Hall of Williamsburg for $20…
- …AND Devotchka and Shilpa Ray will play Elsewhere for $27.50!
Sunday, December 9
- For starters, you might consider catching a $7 screening of Call Me By Your Name at Syndicated this afternoon!
- In the realm of comedy, you GOTTA grab a $12-$15 ticket to see Eliot Glazer’s latest round of Haunting Renditions at Littlefield, duh! It’s the holiday edition, BONUS!
- Or pop on by Union Hall for Zach Zimmerman’s album recording! Tickets are $8-$10 a pop.
- Just want a comedy show that revolves around soccer, of all things? Then hit up Caveat for a $10 show this afternoon!
- But if true crime is more your jam, then get to Caveat a little later and catch The Dark Anthology: An Improvised Musical on Chilling True Histories! Tickets are $17 each.
- Or if you’re more into the occult, then head to Catland for another $10 Witchcraft 101 course!
- In terms of tunes, there’s a tribute to Richard Swift happening at Rough Trade ft. performances by Nathaniel Rateliff, Hamilton Leithauser, Cults and more, and tickets are $30 each.
- I’d also highly recommend catching Teen Girl Scientist Monthly at the Safari Room at El Cortez! Tickets are just $10 a pop.