Wow wow wow, how is it already almost Thanksgiving, you guys?! I hope you are all invited to a variety of Friendsgiving fetes this weekend, but regardless, there’s plenty to do to stay REAL BUSY! From dance parties (queer, emo, etc.) to pet conventions, anime conventions (ALL OF THE CONVENTIONS), AND seasonally-appropriate screenings of Planes, Trains & Automobiles (our GIF theme, duh) there are LOTS of choices the next few days. Before we talk about all of them, here’s some rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- I had a chat to Alexandra Waldman about her dream job as a co-founder of Universal Standard, a size-inclusive brand that’s blowin’ up!
- I also spoke to Nicole Atkins about tunes, sobriety, self-care and more! (She rules!)
- Years after we first wrote about lovin’ the hell out of Milk Bar’s Thanksgiving croissant, we are still v. obsessed! Probably get one before the season is over!
- The Rodarte retrospective just opened at the National Museum of Women in the Arts in DC, and it is AMAZING. Live vicariously through these photos.
- If you missed G Flip at Baby’s All Right this week, YOU SHOULD LIVE IN ETERNAL REGRET.
- AND we premiered tracks from Hailey Knox and Lili St Anne!
Thursday, November 15th
- For starters, the inimitable Lenny Kaye will be in conversation at Coney Island Baby tonight for FREE! RSVP by emailing [email protected]!
- In terms of live tunes, my top pick tonight is Music Hall of Williamsburg, where Mr. Little Jeans will play a $20 show!
- You can also swing on by Elsewhere for a $20 Thurston Moore gig, and/or a $12 record release party from Gabby’s World…
- …or post up at Terminal 5 for a $39 6LACK show!
- If it’s LOLs you’re after, look no further than Union Hall! Two solid shows happening there tonight – 1. Different Energies w/ Sydnee Washington and Mary Beth Barone, and 2. Lo-Fi NYC w/ Blythe Roberson, Karen Chee, Ayo Edebiri and more! $10 per show.
- More interested in food? Books Are Magic will host the authors of Kindness & Salt, Doug Crowell and Ryan Angulo, for a discussion with Matt Rodbard tonight! Free to attend!
- Or if you’d rather a hybrid of cinema and tunes, head to House of Yes for an immersive premiere party for Meow Wolf: Origin Story! Limited $30 tickets are available at the door. (You can also just do the Meow Wolf dance party instead, which is free all night!)
- Just wanna booze for free? Probably swing by the grand opening party for BURKELMAN NYC!
Friday, November 16th
- For starters, Wild Nothing will play Brooklyn Steel tonight for $25!
- Or if you’re more into Jack White and happen to possess $69+, Kings Theatre is likely more up your alley!
- Too dude heavy? Catch Esmé Patterson at the Knitting Factory instead! Tickets are $15 each.
- AND Slothrust will be at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $18-$20.
- For comedy vibes, get to Union Hall for 1. Whiplash w/ Jo Firestone and Brendan Eyre, and/or 2. Jenny’s Birthday Bowling w/ Jenny Gorelick, Addie Weyrich, Sandy Honig and more! Each show will run you $8-$10.
- UCB East is also holding it down with Woke AF ft. Ayo Edebiri + Usama Siddiquee ($12), Gentrify ft. Shannon Coffey + Khalid A. Rahmaan ($12) and And I’m Not Lying ft. Kate Willett + Sandi Marx ($9)!
- At UCB Hell’s Kitchen, meanwhile, it’s Adult Spelling Bee w/ Josh Gondelman, Akilah Hughes and more! Tickets are $12.
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? C’mon Everybody is hosting a new round of Everybody, Everybody (an 80s and 90s dance party) for just $5 tonight!
- (Personally, I feel like you should splurge and grab a $20-$25 ticket to catch Ellen Allien’s set at Good Room, but that’s just me!)
- In terms of movies, Raising Arizona is screening at Moving Image…
- …or maybe you just really love Twilight, in which case get to Syndicated for a $7 midnight screening!
Saturday, November 17th
- Kick off your day with a new round of Deep House Yoga over at House of Yes! Tickets are $20 each.
- Unless you FUCKIN’ LOVE PETS, in which case get to Javits Center for PetCon 2018 (today and tomorrow) ft. all your favorite celebrity pets, like Tuna the dog! Tickets are $75+, and yes, you can bring your pets!
- More into comedy? Union Hall is hosting a new round of Picture This tonight, plus Mary Houlihan’s on after that for Me & Jack! The former is $8-$10, and the latter is $7-$10.
- You can also just cut a rug over at Saint Vitus, where it’s a new round of Night.Wav, aka America’s favorite synthwave dance party! Free ’til midnight!
- Meanwhile, it’s Emo Night at Brooklyn Bowl! Tickets are $15 a pop.
- Or if it’s a good old fashioned queer dance party you’re after, make a beeline for Littlefield! It’s a new round of Be Cute Brooklyn, and tickets are $5-$10 each.
- In terms of movies, Twilight is screening again at Syndicated for $7 at midnight!
- And for tunes, get to Town Hall for a $37+ Olafur Arnalds performance, duh!
Sunday, November 18th
- Start your day off with a brunch screening of Thanksgiving mega-classic Planes, Trains & Automobiles at Nitehawk!
- Or if you’re an anime fan, snag tickets to this year’s Crunchyroll-presented Anime NYC at Javits Center! Tickets are $45 a pop. (Also I don’t understand how this is happening at the same time as PetCon, but okay!)
- For LOLs, head on over to Union Hall for FOMO Live w/ Kristen Bartlett, Catherine Cohen, Jo Firestone and more! Tickets are just $8-$10 a pop.
- PLUS the one and only Jon Glaser is at Littlefield for Come See If This Works Or Not! Tickets are $10-$12 each.
- Or if you’d rather dip your toes into the occult, head to Catland for a free beginner witch study group!
- More into tunes? Hit up Elsewhere for a $35 Dirty Projectors show! But grab your tickets fast, ’cause the first one (there are two back to back) sold out already!
- OR if you have $45 remaining from the weekend’s shenanigans, probably definitely grab a ticket to catch Tash Sultana at Terminal 5 tonight!
- You could also just keep it nostalgic at Nowadays, though, where it’s a new round of Classic Album Sundays! Tonight is none other than Sade’s Stronger Than Pride, and tickets are $10 each.