Wow wow wow, a new weekend without the impending doom of the midterm elections, but still the impending doom of living in America! Insert shrug emoji here! There’s lots to do to take a well-deserved load off the next few days INCLUDING plenty of New York Comedy Festival goodness, dance parties galore, and even a witchcraft crash course for those of you looking to take a dip into the occult! I am mostly just amped for the USWNT to play Portugal in a friendly at the very specific time of 1:06pm this afternoon, so homegirls are gonna be our GIF theme BECAUSE I AM THE BOSS OF YOU! Before we jump into all ye olde details, here’s some rad #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were out voting or whatever:
- We had our inaugural true crime festival Death Becomes Us in DC, and the photos are amazing!
- We also interviewed the BuzzFeed Unsolved Boys, who I AM OBSESSED WITH.
- Listen to Jonathan Van Ness talk to Nancy Pelosi at Bentzen Ball about voting!
- Supergroup boygenius (Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus) SLAYED at BK Steel, and we have the photos to prove it!
- And while we’re on the subject of photos, here are some of Robert DeLong at Bowery Ballroom!
- Plus we interviewed the amazing Mara Keisling about protecting trans rights! READ THE CONVO HERE!
Thursday, November 8th
- My undisputed top pick for tonight goes to Jupiter Disco, where they’re hosting Nippon Leagues – a Japanese disco, boogie ‘n funk dance night ft. the added bonus of no cover AND free Japanese snacks!
- You can also catch some New York Comedy Festival vibes at Union Hall tonight! Kyle Ayers, Jo Firestone and more will be at Boast Rattle (A Compliment Contest) for $10.
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Do it for free at tonight’s 90’s-themed round of Dirty Thursday at House of Yes!
- Meanwhile, Kasbo and Vancouver Sleep Clinic will be at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $25…
- …and Booka Shade will take over Output for $20-$30!
- Or if you’re feeling ultra-nostalgic, you can catch Spin Doctors at Brooklyn Bowl for $20!
- My personal top pick for tunes tonight, though, is a $15 show from The Blow at LPR!
- PLUS the boys from POND are over from Australia to play a $25 show at Elsewhere!
Friday, November 9th
- If it’s LOLs you’re after, head to one of two $20 Jay Larson shows at Union Hall as part of the New York Comedy Festival!
- You should also pop by the Bell House for ZINGERS! The UK Game Show w/ Jo Firestone, who’ll be joined by Patti Harrison, Larry Owens, Joe Pera and more! Tickets are $10-$15 each. You should also stick around for The Joy F*ck Club w/ Joel Kim Booster, Bowen Yang, Patti Harrison, Karen Chee and more! Tickets are $20 each.
- More into tunes? Back 2 Mac: A Fleetwood Mac Tribute is happening at Littlefield for $0-$10!
- Or head to Mercury Lounge to party it up with YouTooCanWoo! Sets from French Horn Rebellion, Computer Magic and more! Tickets are $12-$15.
- Plus Arca is doing a DJ set at 99 Scott tonight for $30…
- …and Broncho have a $15-$20 gig over at Elsewhere!
- You can also dial it back with Ty Segall’s solo acoustic set at Warsaw tonight! Tickets are $26.
- Just trying to have an educational Friday night? You can always hit up a Witchcraft 101 course at Catland! Tickets are $10 a pop.
Saturday, November 10th
- Kick your day off at Deep House Yoga at House of Yes! Tickets are $20 each, the price of which includes free refreshments.
- Then, most DEFINITELY swing by the second annual Well-Read Black Girl Festival at Pioneer Works! Tickets are $45-$55 each.
- Later, two solid NYCF shows are happening at Union Hall tonight! First up is Never Seen It w/ Kyle Ayers, Lane Moore, Jean Grae and Tommy McNamara (who’ll be live scoring), and tickets to that are $10-$12 a pop. Second is Make My Day – A Comedy Game Show hosted by Josh Gondelman! Tickets are also $10-$12.
- Same deal at the Bell House, where The Boogie Monster Live w/ Kyle Kinane and Dave Stone is happening for $25, and Trump Dump: American Tantrum Book Tour w/ Anthony Atamanuik is happening after that for $20-$25!
- Or just get to Littlefield for Open Mike Eagle and Friends! Tickets are just $8-$10.
- More into tunes? Head to Bowery Ballroom for a $15-$18 show from shallou!
- You can also d-d-d-d-dance it up all night long at Our Wicked Lady, where it’s a $5 disco party from 10:30pm to 4am!
- OR head to Elsewhere for a Toro Y Moi DJ set starting at 11pm! Tickets are $20-$25 each.
Sunday, November 11th
- Into the idea of a dance party that starts at 9am? It’s a new round of Daybreaker at House of Yes! All the Bhangra beats you can handle for $20-$40.
- Later, swing by Union Hall for LOLs courtesy of That’s So Retrograde Live! Tickets are $15-$20 each.
- Over at the Bell House, meanwhile, Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos are hosting a new round of #ADULTING! Tickets are $20. And after that, it’s Ari Shaffir: “Shooter” Live Table Read for $20!
- Or get to Littlefield for Jokes for Haiti: A Benefit for Nova Hope Haiti ft. Janelle James, Tanael Joachim and more! Tickets are $12-$15 each.
- If you feel more like learning about ye olde occult, grab a $15 ticket to the Potions & Tinctures 101 course that’s happening at Catland!
- Or just go play Dungeons & Dragons at Strand Bookstore, where Michael Witwer, Kyle Newman and Jon Peterson will be leading a campaign after they finish telling you about their new book, which offers a visual history of the game! Grab a copy of the book or a $15 Strand gift card to attend.
- Would you rather just catch some live tunes tonight? Head to LPR for an evening with Paula Cole! Tickets are $35-$55 each.
- But also, I can’t think of a better way to spend a lazy Sunday than by popping over to WORD Books to talk On Doing Nothing: Finding Inspiration in Idleness w/ Roman Muradov! Free to attend.