Hello! There is a tiny shard of debris tumbling sharply around in my right eye at the moment, which is making it v. difficult to write this! I hope you appreciate my pain and suffering for your ultimate weekend enjoyment!
Tons to do the next few days – the Museum of Pizza is opening up at the William Vale Hotel, Lower East Side Pickle Day is on Sunday, there’s a Shania Twain dance party (our GIF theme, duh!), it’s the New York Coffee Festival and MORE! (For the record, I am most excited about the fact that Princess Eugenie is getting married on Friday morning. Yes I will obviously be watching the live stream.)
Before we talk details about all of your upcoming choices, let’s first quickly talk about some rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week while spinning out about how we are doomed as a society!
- I went to New York Comic Con last weekend! It was a sensory overload! I am residually tired!
- Here’s Joey Purp on how he thought he’d be the owner of a weed dispensary, not necessarily putting out hit records.
- Here’s 88rising on what even the heck 88rising is.
- I asked Sons Of An Illustrious Father what kind of pie they are!
- Here’s your weekly guide to online streaming ft. ALL OF THE STRONG WOMEN!
- And I went to the Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience last week and it was TIGHT AF!
Thursday, October 11
- The Bushwick Film Festival is going on now! Grab a weekend pass for $80-$100!
- OR if you’re feelin’ real spooky, grab yourself some tickets to Brooklyn Horror Film Festival screenings! Spotlight screenings will generally run you $16-$18.
- In terms of tunes, be sure to hit up Warsaw for a $20 Alex Cameron gig! I saw him in Norway this summer and he rules dot com!
- Meanwhile, Milo Greene will play a $25 show over at Elsewhere!
- Plus White Denim will be at Brooklyn Bowl for $25 tonight!
- You can also catch Spiritualized at Kings Theatre for $49+…
- …unless you’re broke AF, in which case dial it back with a $12 show from The Beths at Mercury Lounge!
- AND Berndsen, Skyes and Stranger Cat will all be setting up shop at Alphaville for just $10!
- Or if that’s STILL too pricey for ya, RSVP to see Diet Cig play a FREE gig at Dr. Martens Lexington!
- For comedy vibes, head to Union Hall for a new round of Pop Show with Ziwe Fumudoh, Mary Houlihan and more! Tickets are $10 each. PLUS be sure to stick around for Emma Sidi after that! Tickets are $8.
- Just wanna get back to the aforementioned spooky times instead? Head to Videology for a $12 screening of Pet Sematary! You’ll never sleep again!
Friday, October 12
- First things first – wake up early (like, pre-5am early) to watch Princess Eugenie get royally m-m-m-m-married! TLC is broadcasting it this morning.
- And in what is PERFECT timing, the New York Coffee Festival also kicks off today! Tickets start at $29 each.
- Later, hit up Union Hall for comedy from Janeane Garofalo, Jacqueline Novak, Casey James Salengo and more! Tickets are just $8-$10. PLUS stay for See You In Hell ft. Jo Firestone, David Drake and more! Tickets are also $8-$10.
- For live music vibes, obviously hit up LPR for a $30 Django Django gig!
- Miss White Denim at Brooklyn Bowl last night? Catch ’em there again tonight for $25!
- If you’ve got a bazillion bucks (read: $91+) to spare, then head to the rooftop at Pier 17 for a Thievery Corporation set!
- Similarly semi-expensive is a $50+ Ben Howard show at Hammerstein Ballroom!
- Or maybe you just wanna be on a goddamn boat, in which case you should 100% grab tickets to a $25 Valley Lodge Rocks Off Cruise!
- You should probably just catch Elizabeth and the Catapult at Bowery Electric for free, though. #VALUE
- Or if you’d rather go hunt ghosts than do any of the stuff I just listed, you’re in luck! There are $20 Snug Harbor ghost tours happening tonight and tomorrow.
Saturday, October 13
- Get into the Halloween spirit at Videology, where they’re hosting a Shaun of the Dead edition of Drinking Game! Tickets are $12.
- There’s also a Halloween Night Market at Villain that you should totally swing by; just $7 admission!
- Meanwhile, the Museum of Pizza opens at the William Vale Hotel! Tickets are $40+, and each one comes with a voucher for a free slice of pizza outside the venue.
- If it’s live tunes you’re after, clearly get to Rough Trade for a $15 show from the one and only Molly Burch!
- Meanwhile, Glassio, Charles Fauna and Sulene will be at Elsewhere for $10-$12!
- You can also hit up Barclays Center for a $59+ Gorillaz show…
- …plus Ben Howard is back at it at Hammerstein Ballroom for $40+.
- Personally, I feel like we should all just go d-d-d-d-dance it up for free at Mood Ring; Lauren Flax, Rachel Noon and Elle Dee will be churning out tunes from 10pm onward.
- But speaking of dance vibes, you should ALSO strongly consider Adventures BK’s presentation of This Party Does Impress You Much (aka all things Shania Twain) at Brooklyn Bowl tonight! Tickets are $10 a pop.
Sunday, October 14
- For starters, it’s Lower East Side Pickle Day! 20+ picklers will be out there with free samples, y’all.
- PLUS you can head to Queens Botanical Garden for Harvest Fest & Pumpkin Patch, aka all of ye olde fall vibes in one convenient location! $12 admission for adults.
- Feelin’ le cinema calling your name today? Get to Videology for a $22 screening of The Addams Family ft. bonus Wednesday’s deadly lemonade (the poison in this case is vodka), a $24 screening of Death Becomes Her ft. bonus eternal youth mimosa, and/or a free round of Buffy trivia after all of that!
- For comedy, chill w/ Wyatt Cenac and Joel Kim Booster for just $5-$8 at Union Hall! Also stick around for Friends Who Folk & Friends ft. Bowen Yang, Catherine Cohen and more for $5-$10!
- On the subject of music, assuming you’ve got $50+ and want to be surrounded by (presumably) a majority crowd of female identifying humans, probably grab a ticket to see Indigo Girls at Beacon Theatre!
- Or if your pockets are much less empty than mine are, you can also theoretically catch Phil Collins at Barclays Center for $96+!
- Not into that? AJJ and Kimya Dawson will be at Warsaw for $22!
- But my personal top pick is a $25 Meredith Monk performance at Le Poisson Rouge // I saw her at BAM a few years back and SHE WAS AMAZING.
- Wanna skip the tunes and go for something more in the realm of the occult? Head to Catland for a $10 Tarot 101 course instead!