Hi! I get the feeling that today is going to be v. stressful politically, emotionally, etc., which is obviously not ideal, but fortunately we have the weekend to focus on as a slight distraction tactic. And since there’s a panel discussion at Books Are Magic to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Little Women tomorrow, Little Women the movie is definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY our GIF theme. (Look at all these small silver linings, you guys!) Before we dive into all the details, let’s first talk about some important #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week while you were concentrating on why straight white cisgender males have a tendency to be the absolute worst:
- Here are the NYC shows we’re most pumped for this fall!
- It’s International Podcast Day on Sunday, so here are 17 of BYT’s favorites!
- I interviewed Hatchie about why her music is SO SO SO GOOD!
- I also interviewed Hana Vu in BK last weekend about how she wrote her college entrance essay on Taylor Swift, and how her main goal is to eventually get a queen size bed because LUXURY.
- Plus I’m still reeling from last night’s AHS episode, and I’ll be writing up a recap of that later today. In the meantime, here are my thoughts on last week’s episode!
Thursday, September 27
- Let’s be real, we’re probably going to need to blow off a fuck ton of steam tonight, so why not kick things off with some LOLs? There’s a new round of Adira & Ophira happening at Union Hall for just $10, so let’s start there!
- It’s also the 2018 Miss Subways Pageant over at Littlefield! Tickets are $25, and all proceeds will benefit The City Reliquary and Riders Alliance.
- Of course, you might just wanna drown your sorrows, in which case you can hit up Mood Ring’s one year anniversary party tonight! Tsingtao open bar from 8pm to 9pm, performance from Cakes Da Killa, all free before midnight and/or $10 after that.
- And now that we’re in tunes mode, Fickle Friends will be at Bowery Ballroom with support from bülow tonight for $18!
- Plus LVL UP have two shows at Baby’s All Right – the later one is sold out, but you can still snag tickets to the early gig for $18!
- I’d also super vote grabbing $18 tickets to see Robotaki w/ French Horn Rebellion and Ehiorobo at Music Hall of Williamsburg!
- Meanwhile, you can catch Børns at Radio City Music Hall for $31+…
- …or if you’re more in the mood for The Weepies, they’re playing an acoustic set at Murmrr Theatre for $35-$55 tonight!
- Too broke? The Knocks are having a FREE album release party over at Public Arts!
- Or if you’re not too broke and are just looking for some queer vibes, head to House of Yes for Glitter Unicorn Sparkle Spectacular ($15-$35) and the BK invasion of Chicago’s QUEEN! party ($20-$25) after that!
- “I am too broke but am also looking for queer vibes, Megan.” Tight, you can get ’em at Union Pool for the latest edition of PAT with JD Samson, Amber Valentine and more! F-R-E-E!
Friday, September 28
- Kick things off at NYU’s Activist Mornings! This month’s theme is Immigrants: Searching For Home, tickets are $45, and featured guests will include M.I.A., Jennifer Mendelsohn and Suhaiymah.
- And later, make a beeline for Books Are Magic to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Little Women! They’re hosting a free panel discussion ft. Danielle Lazarin and Idra Novey, moderated by Maris Kreizman.
- Speaking of women, get to Knockdown Center for Flip These Houses, which’ll benefit the Women’s March and will feature a BONKERS lineup of great talent! Check it out here // tickets are $39+.
- Plus Bushwick Open Studios begins today and will run through Sunday! Be sure to swing by!
- You should also CLEARLY head to Videology for a $22 screening of Romeo and Juliet (1996, duh) ft. bonus glass o’ rosé from Verona!
- Too lowbrow for you? You’ll be relieved to hear that Metrograph is screening Masculin Feminin tonight!
- Or if you didn’t get enough M.I.A. this morning, head on over to IFC Center to catch her at a Q&A following the 7:30pm screening of Matangi / Maya / M.I.A.!
- But let’s talk dance vibes! The Black Madonna will be doin’ it up in Brooklyn tonight, so if you’ve got $40 to blow, I’d highly suggest that!
- Broke AF? Just get to the Knitting Factory for a new round of Take Me Out ft. all of the 2000s disco punk! Free w/ RSVP until midnight.
- And we CANNOT leave Friday without talking about how RuPaul’s DragCon kicks off at Javits Center today!!! It runs through Sunday, and tickets are $20-$70.
Saturday, September 29
- Did you know it’s Banned Book Week? Strand Books will host a banned book-themed round of BINGO tonight, and all you have to do to attend is purchase a $15 Strand gift card.
- If books are less your scene, and you’d rather post up with a movie, Videology is hosting a $15 Into The Woods singalong PLUS a $12 Hot Rod edition of Drinking Game.
- Or maybe you’re p. hungry, in which case head on over to Randall’s Island for DAY ONE of Vegandale, which is (you guessed it) a vegan food and drink festival! $15 for a single ticket, $20 for a weekend pass.
- It’s ALSO the Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s Chile Pepper Festival today! Tickets are $20+.
- For dance vibes, head on over to Bossa Nova Civic Club! Jessy Lanza will be doing a DJ set, and it’s FREE before midnight, and/or just $10 after that.
- Speaking of free things, the Knitting Factory will host a free Taste of Iceland showcase ft. sets by Vök, Brandi and the Alexanders AND Berndsen!
- But maybe you have ALL of the funds, in which case you might want to hit up Forest Hills Stadium for The National, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Cigarettes After Sex, Phoebe Bridgers, and Adia Victoria // $80+ a ticket!
- Meanwhile, it’s Neon Gold’s 10th anniversary, and they’re taking over Knockdown Center! Lineup features Marina & The Diamonds, The Knocks, St. Lucia, Broods, Alex Winston and more, and tickets are $75+ each.
- Or if you’re just aiming for beach times, Chance the Rapper will be at Coney Island for $69+!
- You can also dial it back (and amp it up) with an all-metal tribute to The Bee Gees at Brooklyn Bazaar! Tickets are $15 a pop.
Sunday, September 30
- First, it’s K-Expo 2018! If you’re obsessed w/ all things K-Pop, this is 100% your jam – tickets are $80+.
- You can also head back out to Randall’s Island for DAY TWO of Vegandale! Tickets are just $10 today.
- Moving onto le cinema, Videology is hosting a $15 Emma tea party! (You can also stick around for free Parks & Rec trivia after that.)
- In terms of tunes, you can catch Miniature Tigers at Bowery Ballroom for $20…
- …plus The Charlatans are in town to play a $35 Elsewhere gig!
- Or if you still have LOTS of dough left over, The National will be at Forest Hills Stadium again, this time with Future Islands, Cat Power, U.S. Girls and Bully! Tickets are still $80+.
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Hit up Good Room for a $25+ Chromeo DJ set!
- Or if you’re too poor for everything I just said, you’ll be relieved to hear you can hang with my v. talented buddy Adam Schatz at Littlefield for Transmissions from Ladyland LIVE! Tickets are just $10-$12.