1. VOTE TODAY! Polls are open from now until 9pm.
- Hi! I am beginning to get very tired of this goddamn rain! It’s allegedly supposed to switch over to partly sunny conditions tomorrow, but WHO EVEN KNOWS. Assuming it does clear up, you will likely find me at any/all of the below events, which are V. GOOD! We’ve got everything from a production of Emo Hamlet to a new round of Tinder Live to a boozy screening of A League of Their Own (our GIF theme, duh!), so buckle up, ’cause we’re about to discuss ALL of that. First, though, let’s get you caught up on some #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- If you have back to school FOMO, here are some rad courses (from witchcraft to taxidermy to biohacking) that you can take in NYC to get REAL LEARN’T.
- Slash here are all our (read: my) favorite NYC bookstores in case you are in need of new literature!
- Who’s headed to Riot Fest in Chicago? We broke down some of the busiest hours for you to help you prioritize who to see.
- I also went to Rip’s Malt Shop, which is a 100% vegan luncheonette over by BK Navy Yard, and it was SO BOMB. Vegan chopped cheese? HELL YES.
- And we had a chat to Eleanor Friedberger about Athens and her new record!
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 13
- For starters, go to a one night only production of EMO HAMLET! Which is exactly what it sounds like! Tickets are $20 each, and all the action is happening at the Kraine Theater.
- Tunes-wise, most definitely hit up National Sawdust for a special $20 Madame Gandhi performance!
- You can also catch Okkervil River and Petal at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $25!
- Or if you’d prefer to spend your evening on a boat, Propagandhi will be commandeering a Rocks Off venture for $35!
- Too poor? RSVP to catch Public Access TV at the Herald Square location of Dr. Martens! FREE!
- Of course, if music ain’t your jam, you can also hit up the Bell House for Family Ghosts Live! Tickets are $20 a pop.
- You can also swing by House of Yes for some solid free programming – first is Best Worst Talent Show (past performances have included “hot dog deep throating” and “amateur sword swallowing”) and second is the latest round of Dirty Thursday (the blacklight edition) for those of you who wanna d-d-d-d-d-dance!
- But if all of that sounded too taxing, just get to Nitehawk for a special screening of Records Collecting Dust II ft. a post-screening Q+A w/ director Jason Blackmore, Paul Bearer (Sheer Terror), Tom Lyle (Government Issue) and Michael Hampton (SOA/Faith/Embrace)!
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14
- To kick things off on a musical note, you can catch Car Seat Headrest at Brooklyn Steel for $25!
- Meanwhile, Mickey Avalon will be at the Knitting Factory for $22-$25…so that is a thing that is happening…
- …or if you’re not in the mood to reminisce about sippin’ warm Coors Light, just swing by Music Hall of Williamsburg for a $20 Poolside gig!
- There also happen to be TWO music cruises tonight – one features Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and will run you $30…
- …while the other one will feature Goldfinger, and will run you $40 to climb aboard!
- Back on dry land, meanwhile, Donny McCaslin will be at Rough Trade for $25!
- Broke AF? Just RSVP to hang out w/ High Waisted on Elsewhere’s rooftop for free!
- Or if you’re in the mood to watch a movie, Videology is hosting a $24 screening of A League of Their Own ft. bonus boozy peach tea! (You can also stick around for a $12 round of their Drinking Game series, which is Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion themed this time!)
- But if you wanna dial it back price-wise, just hit up Syndicated for a $4 screening of Pretty In Pink!
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15
- Kick things off at Nitehawk, where it’s a new round of Spoons, Toons & Booze!
- Later, be sure to grab tickets to the latest round of Tinder Live w/ Lane Moore at Littlefield! Tickets are $15, and the lineup this time features John Fugelsang, Laurie Kilmartin and Patrick Monahan.
- More in the mood for music? David Byrne will be at Forest Hills Stadium for $65+!
- Plus Childish Gambino will be at MSG for $50+…
- …and Little Boots will be at Sony Hall for $20!
- Don’t mind a trek out to Jersey City? Joseph will be taking over White Eagle Hall for $25!
- (But if you’re like me, you’re probably just gonna wanna catch Agnes Obel at Warsaw for $20.)
- Just wanna dance in a queer-friendly space? Shady Pines (LGBTQ dance party) is happening at Industry City for $12!
- If you’re more in the mood for LOLs, head to Union Hall for Guy Montgomery Presents: I’m Friends w/ These People! ft. Maeve Higgins, Ayo Edebiri and more! Tickets are $8-$10. (Also stick around for This Is It w/ Chris & Chris ft. Josh Gondelman, Carmen Lagala and more! Tickets are just $5-$8.)
- For cinematic vibes, get to Videology for $22 screenings of Before Sunrise ft. bonus glass of Austrian wine! (Plus you can stay for a $12 White Chicks edition of Drinking Game after that.)
- Or dial it down price-wise with a $4 screening of The Breakfast Club over at Syndicated!
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16
- First, catch another round of Spoons, Toons & Booze at Nitehawk to get your day goin’ right!
- Tunes-wise, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah will be at House of Independents for a $20 show!
- Or if you happen to have $300 on hand, you can catch David Byrne at Kings Theatre!
- Not into that? Just skip out on the live music and hit up Union Hall for a new round of #ADULTING w/ Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos! Guests this time include Sara Schaefer, Nore Davis and Ben Sinclair, and tickets are $10 a pop.
- (You should also stick around for FROG BOYZ with Jesse VandenBergh, Sean Newman, Naomi Ekperigin, Dina Hashem, Alison Leiby and Mamoudou N’Diaye! Tickets to that are $8-$10.)
- Meanwhile, You’re The Expert Live is happening at Caveat for $15-$20!
- Just wanna get drunk today? Head to House of Yes for Mexico in a Bottle! Tickets are $75 each, and they include what I assume to be a fuck ton of mezcal.
- Of course, if you’re BROKE DOT COM, skip all that stuff and just focus on getting to Videology for a free round of Bojack Horseman trivia!