Oh wow! It’s #NYFW again! How time flies or whatever LOL!
You should be very aware by now that I will never pass up an opportunity to use Anna Wintour GIFs, and this post, while it has very little to do with #NYFW in terms of #CONTENT, is no exception to that rule.
I suggest dodging FASHUN by hitting up things like OctFest, Bushwig 2018, boozy movie screenings and more! But before I elaborate, let’s quickly talk about some CR00SH ITEMZ you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- I went to the US Open and saw Maria Sharapova lose IRL and it was the greatest day of my life.
- Here’s why we think September is gonna rule!
- Christeene is in the business of terrorist drag, and we love her for that.
- All the reasons you should be OBSESSED with Carmen Lagala, aka our Funny Human of the Week.
- Just wanna sit on your couch this weekend? Here’s our weekly streaming guide ft. HEREDITARY!
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
- Kicking things off with t-t-t-t-tunes, Saintseneca will be at Bowery Ballroom tonight for $18!
- Saint Etienne, meanwhile, will be at Warsaw for $38…
- …and Vitalic will be doing a live set at Elsewhere for $25!
- If you’re on a mega-budget, just RSVP to catch the inimitable Eleanor Friedberger at the Dr. Martens store on Smith Street for free, yeah?
- For LOLs, my top pick for tonight is Pop Show at Union Hall! The lineup is rad (Ziwe Fumudoh, Cole Escola, Jo Firestone, Lorelei Ramirez and more), and tickets are just $10 a pop.
- Or for dance vibes, head on over to House of Yes for TWO parties – the early one is The Get Down, which starts at 6pm and will run you $5+ a ticket. The second, meanwhile, kicks off at 10pm – it’s the 90s edition of Dirty Thursday, and as usual, it’s FREE!
- Just wanna kick back with a movie? Videology is hosting a screening of Orlando as part of its Independent Women series!
- PLUS you can catch a sneak preview of Blaze at IFC Center ft. bonus Q+A w/ Ethan Hawke, Sybil Rosen and Benjamin Dickey!
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7
- My top pick for tunes tonight undoubtedly goes to the Bell House, where Ex Hex and EZTV have a $25 show!
- You can also catch Bad Gyal on Elsewhere’s rooftop for $13-$15…
- …plus if you don’t mind the hike out to NJ, Sloan will be setting up shop at White Eagle Hall for $25!
- But if you just wanna d-d-d-d-dance, head on over to C’mon Everybody for a $5 Janet Jackson dance party!
- In terms of comedy, go see Zach Zimmerman be Luke Babylon, Christian Magician at Union Hall! Tickets are $10-$15 a pop. (You can also stick around for a 90s One Hit Wonder Singalong w/ Secret Formula afterwards for an additional $10.)
- Or if you wanna get weird, hit up Videology for a $24 screening of Girls Trip ft. bonus absinthe!
- Not scary enough for you? Probably head to Metrograph for a 9:15pm screening of Night of the Living Dead.
- OR MAYBE YOU JUST WANNA GO BE IN THE SAME ROOM AS ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ, IDK!
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8
- For starters, it’s the women’s final at the US Open! If you have a bazillion dollars, probably go and watch live!
- You should also get to Bushwig 2018, aka America’s favorite queer, drag-focused festival at Knockdown Center! Tickets are $35-$75 each.
- And be sure to swing by the Gowanus Block Party from noon until 6pm! 100% FREE!
- You can also head to House of Yes to get active today – first up is a $20 session of Deep House Yoga, and later there’ll be a $10-$20 roller disco! (And if you’re feelin’ like a night owl, there’s also Wig Out, aka a dance party where wigs are v. encouraged, happening for $0-$30.)
- PLUS you should obviously hit up C’mon Everybody for a new round of Romy & Michele’s Saturday Afternoon Tea Dance which, as always, is FREE!
- In terms of live music, if you don’t mind the trek out to Governors Island, probably definitely grab tickets to OctFest, which is a beer ‘n music festival put on by Pitchfork. Vince Staples, Jeff Tweedy and many more are on the books for day one, and tickets will run you $75+. (Use code P4K30 for 30% off tickets now thru the 7th.)
- And in conjunction with OctFest, Rough Trade is hosting some signings by Preoccupations, Hatchie AND Nao today.
- You should ALSO head to the Knitting Factory for a $12 show from Chad Valley!
- For comedy vibes, it’s a new round of The Scientists at Union Hall w/ Blythe Roberson, Harris Mayersohn, Karen Chee and more! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- Or if you’re on a budget, just RSVP to Laugh Exchange LIVE at Littlefield! Two hosts! Forty-eight comics! One minute each! Six themes! Eight winners! Many numbers!
- More into cooking? Make sure you pop over to Books Are Magic to chill w/ Julia Turshen and Jia Tolentino as they celebrate Turshen’s new cookbook, Now & Then! Free and open to the public.
- But if it’s a party you’re after, Catland is hosting a characteristically semi-cryptic-sounding shindig called Queer Prom: Gender Reveal Party from 8pm to midnight! Tickets are $10 a pop.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
- It’s the last day of this year’s US Open! As usual, the men will close us out – should you have a large disposable income, go watch history be made IRL!
- And it’s day TWO of Bushwig 2018! Probably get on over to Knockdown Center!
- Just hungry? It’s the NYC World Ramen Festival! Free to peruse, and each ramen vendor will be hawking bowls for $10 a pop. Cash only, three bowls gets you a free drink.
- But who DOESN’T want to spend the afternoon at Videology sippin’ mimosas and watching Notting Hill?! Tickets are $22, and each one includes a free mimosa.
- PLUS can we just talk about how Nitehawk is hosting a brunch screening of The Breakfast Club? YES, PLEASE.
- Too early for you? Syndicated is showing Beasts of the Southern Wild at 6:30pm for just $4!
- Musically speaking, you should absolutely grab yourself a $25 ticket to catch the one and only Waxahatchee at the Bell House tonight!
- But if you’re still on those OctFest vibes, it’s day TWO at Governors Island, and this time the lineup features the Flaming Lips, Yo La Tengo and more. (Tickets are still $75+, but use that code I told you about to receive 30% off now thru the 7th.)
- If you’re down to trek, though, then OBVIOUSLY go catch a second round of Ex Hex and EZTV, this time at Asbury Lanes! Tickets are $17 a pop.
- Just wanna learn or whatever? Catland is hosting a Tarot 101 course to teach you the basics, and tickets are $15-$50 each.