- We had a chat to The Essex Green, who are set to play BK’s Knitting Factory on Saturday!
- We also spoke to David Cross about things he will and won’t talk about…
- …AND we interviewed Sylvan Esso, who are just the flippin’ best!
- Here’s why August is gonna be SO GREAT!
- I gave you this month’s round of Merch Party ft. farting butt enamel pins ‘n more!
- Alex Trebek is retiring in 2020, and we have some hopes ‘n theories about who may replace him.
- And finally, I told you about how pro tennis players have some REAL GOOD DOGGOS!
THURSDAY, AUGUST 2
- For starters, OBVIOUSLY swing by Union Hall for a $15 evening with Guy Branum and Cole Escola!
- If movies are your jam, get to Videology for a $22 screening of Groundhog Day ft. bonus sweet vermouth on the rocks w/ a twist!
- Tunes-wise, hit up Brooklyn Steel for a $40 Lord Huron + Cherry Glazerr show…
- …plus Caroline Rose and Dougie Poole are setting up shop at Elsewhere’s rooftop for $20!
- Would also highly recommend catching Dauwd over at Good Room for just $10…
- …and LPR is hosting a $25 Nico, 1988 tribute tonight ft. Marissa Nadler, US Girls and more…
- …AND Lola Pistola will be at The Safari Room at El Cortez for $10!
- Too broke? Just get to MoMA PS1 for a free OSHUN gig!
- Plus BADBADNOTGOOD and Charlotte Day Wilson will play a free show at Prospect Park!
- Or if you have ALL of the money, head to MetLife Stadium for an $81+ evening with Jay-Z and Beyonce!
FRIDAY, AUGUST 3
- The Brooklyn Tattoo Festival kicks off today and runs through Sunday! Tickets will cost you $10-$35 a pop.
- Press Play Fair (dedicated to books and music) also kicks off today at Pioneer Works! $10 suggested donation.
- Or if you’re down to stay up past your bedtime in the name of Nomi Malone, catch a midnight screening of Showgirls at Syndicated for just $4!
- In terms of tunes, there’s a Kate Bush dance party happening at C’mon Everybody for just $5-$8!
- Also be sure to pop over to Elsewhere for a Jessy Lanza DJ set on the roof! Tickets are $12-$20 a pop.
- You can also catch $30 Quicksand and Glassjaw at Brooklyn Steel…
- …plus Green Velvet, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs and more will be at Brooklyn Mirage for $30-$40!
- Meanwhile, Against Me!, Cherry Glazerr and more will be at House of Vans fo’ FREE, so RSVP ASAP!
- But if you can’t get in on that action, you can additionally see Cherry Glazerr at Rough Trade for $18+!
- And/or if you still have lots o’ dough, you can catch Jay-Z and Beyonce at MetLife Stadium again, this time for $55+.
- (Although, might I suggest putting those funds towards a $69 ticket to be on a boat with George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic?)
SATURDAY, AUGUST 4
- Don’t mind a trek out to NJ? Rubblebucket are playing Asbury Lanes for $18+!
- Or keep it slightly more local by hitting up Coney Island Music Festival! It’s FREE!
- Or if that’s STILL too far for you, just chill out with Viceroy on Elsewhere’s rooftop! Tickets are $15-$20. (And stick around for a $20-$30 Laff Traxx gig after that!)
- Speaking of Laff Traxx, you can also catch an earlier set at MoMA PS1’s Warm Up for $18!
- Meanwhile, The Essex Lights are at the Knitting Factory for $15-$18…
- …AND it’s the 2018 US Air Guitar Championships at Rough Trade for $18+!
- But maybe you just really wanna hit up the sixth annual NY Deathfest, in which case get to Saint Vitus today and tomorrow! Two-day passes are $50, or $25-$30 individually.
- In terms of dance parties, get to the Bell House for a new round of Party Like It’s 1999, which is Sheryl Crow-themed this go-round!
- AND it’s a new round of Yas Mama at C’mon Everybody, so scrounge up $5 and g-g-g-g-go!
- If you’re more into movies, head to Videology for a $24 screening of Isle of Dogs ft. bonus Jupiter’s Brandy!
- Or for comedy, head to Union Hall for $8-$10 Book Club (ft. Blythe Roberson, Ziwe Fumudoh and more) and/or $8-$10 See You In Hell (ft. Shalewa Sharpe, Sam Evans, Sean Patton and more)!
SUNDAY, AUGUST 5
- If you’re feelin’ ye olde cinematic vibes, you can head to Randall’s Island Park for a free outdoor screening of Coco…
- …and Habana Outpost is hosting a free outdoor screening of Love & Basketball!
- You should also make a beeline for Videology, where you can 1. watch a $20 screening of Clueless with bonus mimosa, and/or 2. a $12 screening of Addams Family Values!
(This is basically the GOP’s motto.)
- Meanwhile, The Sound of Music is screening at Museum of the Moving Image!
- Tunes-wise, just head on over to Union Pool for a $15 DEAKIN show!
- Plus Houndmouth will be at Rough Trade for a show ‘n signing!
- But wanna party early AF and/or keep last night’s party goin’ real late? Head to Bushwick AV Club for a thing that starts at 4am and ends at 2pm! Tickets are $20+.