You guys, I know I say this a lot, but there is a LOT of really good stuff happening this weekend, to the point that I think you will have a hard time narrowing down your options to cram it all in. There’s a weed movie festival ft. CBD-infused butter popcorn, an anime convention (which is where I will be), the NYC Comedy Festival, eight million amazing dance parties, a spirit seance, a grilled cheese extravaganza and so so SO much more, so I hope you’re prepared to have all of the fun! (We fucking deserve it in light of the year it’s been since the election.) I had a lot of options when it came to picking a GIF theme, but ultimately I went with Carol, because it’s screening at Muchmore’s on Sunday, and it is legitimately one of the worst films (EVEN AMONG QUEER FILMS, WHICH SPEAKS VOLUMES) I have ever seen. People are like “I think you’re exaggerating! It was so good!” but no joke, I honestly feel like I would rather watch Bloomington, which is saying something. Anyway, this is me trolling Carol. And I am not sorry. Before we get into all of that, here’s what you may have missed on BYT this week:
- I ate 7-11’s Stuffed Waffle for Sad Girl Science yesterday, and it was, as predicted, not good.
- Here are all 29 Posi-Vibes Playlists I’ve made for you guys since the election.
- We interviewed the creators of The Blair Witch Project.
- I told you what band merch I liked this week ft. Tegan & Sara socks, BOYTOY surf wax and more!
- And I interviewed Jen Cloher about gay stuff and E.T.: The Extraterrestrial!
- First, The Other Art Fair kicks off today at BK Expo Center, and it’ll last all weekend long!
- Musically-speaking, Joyce Manor and Wavves are at Brooklyn Steel for $25…
- …and BOSCO will be at Baby’s All Right for $15!
- Plus two solid Mercury Lounge gigs tonight – 1. Michael Blume and Elise Legrow for $15-$18, and 2. Dafina for $15!
- Same goes for Elsewhere – 1. MNDSGN for $15-$20, and 2. Hazel English for $14!
- Meanwhile, you can see PRAYERS and Pictureplane at Bowery Ballroom for $20!
- If your a Bloody Beetroots fan, then probably get to Warsaw for a $30 show!
- More into Blitzen Trapper? Catch a $25 show at Music Hall of Williamsburg!
- Or just catch a David Bazan gig at Rough Trade for $25!
- AND Michael Rault and BOYTOY will be at Alphaville for just $10!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance to dark electro and 90s rave tunes for free? Hit up Tilt BK for Ekstatik: A New Jack Witch Ritual Dance Party!
- Or if Tori Amos dance parties are more your speed, head to a $5 one at C’mon Everybody instead.
- Comedy-wise, it’s a new round of Boast Rattle at Union Hall ft. Jo Firestone, Shalewa Sharpe and MORE! Tickets are $12.
- It’s also Super Tight over at Littlefield ft. Mary Houlihan, Cole Escola, Aparna Nancherla and more for $15!
- More into books? Tony Rettman’s got a launch for Straight Edge: A Clear Headed Hardcore Punk History at Sonos in Soho tonight!
- Or if film is your jam, then hit up Videology for a $12 screening of Splash!
- First, Crunchyroll’s Anime NYC kicks off at Javits Center today! Friday admission is $35, Sunday is $40, and all other options are SOLD OUT!
- And also probably head to a $15 spirit seance at Catland because TGIF! (Thank Ghost It’s Friday!)
- Tunes-wise, Elsewhere’s got two good shows on deck tonight – 1. Anamanaguchi for $20, and 2. Stacey Pullen / Juan Atkins for $15-$25!
- More into Mipso? Head to Bowery Ballroom for an $18-$20 show!
- Plus you can catch The Shadowboxers at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $17-$20…
- …and Shame will be at Baby’s All Right for $10-$12!
- Meanwhile, Boys Noize will be at Analog BK for $20…
- …and Cape Francis will be at C’mon Everybody for just $10!
Oh my god FUCK OFF, Therese.
- But my top musical pick (saving the best for almost last here) is the Blog Haus dance party that’s happening at Schimanski…we’re talking throwbacks to Uffie, Justice, MSTRKRFT and more (THE GLORY DAYS), and it’s all free before 11:30pm if you RSVP.
- And I would be remiss not to mention that Glamdammit is celebrating its thirteenth birthday, so if you’re down for that kind of free dance party, get to Gold Sounds!
- If it’s LOLs you’re after, head to Union Hall for 1. Wedlock w/ Kurt (Braunholer) and Lauren (Cook)! Tickets are $15. Or 2. Kyle Ayers and Friends ft. the aforementioned Kyle Ayers, plus Julio Torres, Blair Socci, Aparna Nancherla and Jean Grae! Tickets are $10-$12.
- Plus if you want MORE Kurt Braunholer and Lauren Cook (and Wyatt Cenac), head to Littlefield for a $12 show!
- It’s also Regular Comedy at Villain ft. Chris Gethard, Aparna Nancherla, Emmy Blotnick and more for $15-$20!
- For film vibes, hit up Syndicated for $4 screenings of Harold & Maude and Close Encounters of the Third Kind!
- There’s also a $24 screening of Rocky at Videology ft. bonus complimentary egg yolk cocktail! (Gross, but also cool!) Plus stick around for a $12 midnight screening of The Holy Mountain!
Nobody had the decency to release me when I was checking my watch halfway through Carol…
- For starters, Witches’ Night Out Fall Market kicks off a two-day residency at Bat Haus in Bushwick! Head over for mystical shopping, tarot and more.
- In terms of tunes, Elsewhere’s hosting Humans for $12-$15 and Moon Boots for $15-$25!
- You can also catch The Deslondes at Rough Trade for $15…
- …and Chet Porter will be at Baby’s All Right for $13-$15!
- Plus The Shadowboxers are at Bowery Ballroom for $17-$20!
- If you’re more of a Hayden James fan, hit up Music Hall of Williamsburg for a $20-$22 show!
- And Snakehips will be at Terminal 5 for $28-$30!
- AND Turkuaz will be at Rough Trade for $25!
- More into TWIABPAIANLATD? Head to The Market Hotel for a $15 show!
- Or for queer-friendly vibes, head to DYKE NITE at Friends and Lovers for $10! Proceeds will go to queer and trans veterans, which is rad.
- Just want to dress up like an extraterrestrial? Head to House of Yes’ Ancient Aliens party! Free entry before 11pm w/ RSVP, costumes required!
- For film, head to Syndicated for $4 screenings of The Godfather and The Godfather Part II!
- You can also catch a $25 live-scored screening of Blancanieves at Videology, which sounds p. dope, plus stick around for another $12 midnight screening of The Holy Mountain!
- But OBVIOUSLY don’t sleep on the opportunity to watch Spinal Tap at 11:11 on 11.11 at Metrograph, because DUH!
- And it’s the third annual NYC Cannabis Film Festival at the Wythe Hotel! Best part? CBD-infused butter popcorn is included with each ticket.
- Kick off your day w/ a new Church of the Infinite You w/ Jean Grae at Union Hall for $10-$12!
- It’s also Time Out’s annual Grilled Cheese Meltdown ft. all of the grilled cheese, two drink tickets, a Cholula hot sauce station and more for $35+.
- AND it’s Red Hook Open Studios today, so be sure to swing by!
- My top pick tonight is Skyes and Rvby My Dear at C’mon Everybody for $8-$10!
- Although a close second goes to Slowdive and Cherry Glazerr at Terminal 5 for $35!
- You can also see Buscabulla for $10 at Baby’s All Right!
strange FUCKING ANNOYING girl you are.”
- Plus Pere Ubu will be at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $25-$30…
- …and Tim Barry’s at Rough Trade for $15, too!
- AND Jake Shears of Scissor Sisters will be at Elsewhere for $20-$25, plus Mass Gothic will go on an hour later for $10-$12!
- You can also head back to Union Hall for comedy w/ Sean Patton for $8-$10, and/or Picture This ft. Aparna Nancherla, Jo Firestone, and more for $8-$10!
- Or for even more LOLs, hit up Littlefield for Sex and the City Trivia Night w/ Liza Treyger, Jo Firestone and more! Tickets are $7-$10.
- More into movies? Head to Syndicated for $7 screenings of Baby Driver!
- Or for queer vibes, get to Muchmore’s for what appears to be a free screening of Carol. (GODDAMMIT, CAROL.)