Hello! In case you’re going, “WAIT, U WOT, M8?!” with regards to this early edition of Best Weekend Bets, yes, it’s true, we’re comin’ at you one full day before ye olde Thanksgiving! I also deeply regret not going to bed before 4:30am last night, but what can you do when your good friend from college comes into town after like seven years and wants to go to all of the gay bars! Also, help! (Seriously, help. My mom is coming to Brooklyn to spend Thanksgiving with me in mere hours. HELP.)
Before we get into all of your I-AM-STAYING-IN-NYC options (which are less plentiful than usual because of the holiday, but which are still p. good), here’s what you may have missed on BYT this week:
- I went to Anime NYC and it was p. dope. (Also, I bought a Pikachu SARS mask.)
- Going shopping at Trader Joe’s? Here is how to stay sane.
- And speaking of staying sane, here’s what to watch to shake off any/all Thanksgiving-induced trauma.
- Need a new silk robe or jigsaw puzzle? This week’s Merch Party will hook you up with all of it.
- Here’s a new batch o’ posi-tunes for you!
- AND here’s a chat I had w/ Julia of Angus & Julia Stone!
PS I am eating Deep River Sweet Maui Onion chips for breakfast and am listening to Zedd “Stay the Night” (ft. Hayley Williams) v. loud on repeat in my apartment. I am not sorry. (A little I am sorry.)
PPS the theme this week is Lost In Translation because it is screening at Videology and I am thankful for it even though I am slightly less thankful for ScarJo.
PPPS, did I mention yet that I a little bit want to die of hangover/exhaustion. Okay great! Here’s what we’re working w/ the next few days:
- My top pick for tonight goes to Brooklyn Steel, where Jhene Aiko, Willow Smith and MORE will play a $35 show!
- You can also catch Mun for $15 at Mercury Lounge…
- …and Kamasi Washington’s at Terminal 5 for $40!
- More into Modern English? Head to Rough Trade for a $20 show!
- Or cough up an additional $99 to catch Bob Dylan at Beacon Theatre again!
- Too poor? There’s always Tainted Love – an eighties dance party – over at the Bell House tonight for all of $0!
- Or if you DO have money but aren’t into tunes, go watch a thing! David Lynch: The Art of Life is screening at Videology for $12!
- It’s Thanksgiving, you fools! Embrace the food coma from your couch!
- Unless you REALLY want to get out of the house, in which case head to Videology for Clue and board games and brandy all day long!
- First, obviously catch Cut Copy at Terminal 5 for $40!
- Meanwhile, Michael Brun is at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $15…
- …plus Slaughter Beach, Dog is at Mercury Lounge for $12-$14!
- You can also hit up TAUKsgiving at Bowery Ballroom for $16-$20 at Bowery Ballroom!
- Or swing by Brooklyn Steel for a $20-$25 Pigeons Playing Ping Pong gig!
- And it’s worth mentioning that Bob Dylan’s back at it again at Beacon Theatre for $93+…
- …plus Dua Lipa will be at Hammerstein Ballroom for $103+! (If only we all had that much money to throw around!)
- Or dial it back with a $25 mewithoutYou show at Warsaw.
- For movies, Videology is THE SPOT! They’re hosting $22 screenings of The Life Aquatic ft. bonus Campari on the rocks!
- (You can also catch a Hot Fuzz drinking game at midnight there for $12.)
- And speaking of midnight shows, Nitehawk is hosting a midnight Get Out screening!
- Get started at Elsewhere, where Kitten, Sizzy Rocket and Rad Horror will play a $15 show!
- And Wolf + Lamb will be at Good Room for $15-$20, too!
- Plus you can catch Bob Dylan at Beacon Theatre AGAIN tonight for $93+.
- More into Stephen Kellogg? Head to Bowery Ballroom for a $25-$30 show!
- Or if comedy is more your jam, head to the Bell House for a new Greg Proops Is The Smartest Man In The World! Tickets are $15.
- Film-wise, The Big Lebowski is screening at Videology for $22-$100, and a bonus White Russian comes w/ each ticket!
- AND there are brunch screenings of Die Hard and A Christmas Story at Nitehawk!
- For starters, Nitehawk’s got screenings of Die Hard and A Christmas Story again for brunch today!
- Tunes-wise, Jay-Z is at Barclays Center for $99+!
- Meanwhile, Pierce Fulton and NVDES are at Mercury Lounge for $15!
- If film is more your jam, get to Videology for $22 screenings of Lost In Translation ft. bonus Suntory!
- Plus Spinal Tap is screening over at Museum of the Moving Image!
- Comedy-wise, hit up #ADULTING w/ Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos at Union Hall! Tickets are $10 a pop.
- Or if you’re just trying to get weird, head to the Bell House for Obscura’s Holiday Bazaar ft. model/mortician Laura Floor! Tickets are available at the door for just $3 each.