Hello and HAPPY NYC/WORLD PRIDE WEEKEND! Wowee, if you had told me as a kid that I’d be an out ‘n proud queer 31-year-old in 2019, I’d have punched you right in the goddamn face! But child-me had no idea how great it is to be a part of the LGBTQ+ community! I genuinely would not change it for anything, and I am V. V. V. EXCITED to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Stonewall the next couple of days! There are about a billion great events happening (as you will soon realize) INCLUDING but not limited to a free performance by Mel C (aka SPORTY SPICE of THE FLIPPIN’ SPICE GIRLS, AND ALSO OUR GIF THEME BECAUSE GAY ICON), the Pride edition of This Party Is Killing You (#THEROBYNPARTY), LadyLand Fest and more!
Before we jump into all the details, here’s all the D0P3 C0NT3NT you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy realizing that Megan Rapinoe is the one true lord and savior!
- Speaking of which, here’s the latest World Cupdate! (There’s a new one comin’ Friday, but in case you’re chomping at the bit to know what’s been happening this week, SPOILER ALERT: the USWNT is the only squad left in the tournament that’s not European, womp womp.)
- We asked people (like DREAMERS and Lady Lamb and Dehd) who are *ACTUALLY* good at music to tell us how to be good and not bad at karaoke!
- I asked Felix and the Future to tell us about his GAYCATION FROM HELL in CURSED COSTA RICA! Monkey bites! Terrifying toilets! Bloody walls! ETC!
- We had a chat to Helado Negro about all of the things!
- AND we saw The Lumineers, Sharon Van Etten and more at Forest Hills Stadium last weekend!
Thursday, June 27
- In terms of LOLs, John Early is taking over the Bell House the next few nights, and every single show is sold out EXCEPT for the late one tonight, which (at the time of this writing) still has a few tickets left! Grab ’em while they’re around for $30!
- Meanwhile, Ten Bones Theatre Company is putting on A League of Their Own Entirely From Memory over at Littlefield for $12!
- Speaking of cinematic vibes, catch a free screening of You Don’t Nomi, the Showgirls documentary, at Liberty Park!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? It’s Emo Night NYC at Gold Sounds! No cover!
- Or if you’re more into queer vibes, head to House of Yes for the Born This Way edition of Dirty Thursday! Free as always!
- PLUS it’s the Pride edition of PAT Party w/ JD Samson at Union Pool! Also free!
- In the market for shelling out on your queer dance vibes? Kick off World Pride at Schimanski, where it’s HARDER w/ Christeene! Tickets are $20-$60 a pop.
- Or maybe you’re not feeling stressed out enough, in which case head on over to Syndicated to watch a free screening of the Democratic Presidential Primary Debates!
Friday, June 28
- First, QUIT WORK AT WATCH THE USWNT VS FRANCE IN THE FIFA WWC QUARTER FINAL AT 3PM ET!
- Apart from that, let’s start with tunes! Screaming Females and Swearin’ are at Industry City, and tickets are $16-$20 each!
- In terms of Pride vibes, make sure to show up to Stonewall to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the riots at a free rally! 6pm to 9pm.
- Afterwards, head to MoMA PS1 for CHROMAT’s Queer Joy! DJ sets, karaoke, zine workshops and more // tickets start at $15!
- AND be sure to hit up Brooklyn Bowl for the Pride edition of This Party Is Killing You, aka THE ROBYN PARTY put on by our good buddies Adventures BK! Tickets are $15-$20 each.
- You can also hit up LadyLand Fest Day 1! Bottoms, Pussy Riot, Octo Octa and more will be there, and tickets will run you $55+.
- Plus Hot Rabbit is having a mega-queer party at Stage 48! Tickets are $20-$40 a pop.
- Or if you’re more into Papi Juice vibes, get to Elsewhere to catch the World Pride edition of the party for $15-$50!
- OR you can head to C’mon Everybody for the Pride edition of Balls Deep Disco! Tickets are $8.
- Meanwhile, you can catch a free drag show at House of Yes!
- Wanna head on out to Riis Beach? There’s a $30 Lobster Pound dinner happening for Friday Night Sunset Lobster Jam ft. reggae tunes ‘n more!
Saturday, June 29
- For starters, it’s a new round of Catland’s Zodiac Market today! No cover, so swing by for witchcraft, plants, oddities ‘n more!
- My top pick for t-t-t-t-tunes tonight is a Show Me The Body gig at Music Hall of Williamsburg! Tickets are $15+.
- But if you’re poor dot com, then get to Prospect Park Bandshell for a FREE show from Liz Phair, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists AND Caroline Rose!
- For Pride vibes, DYKE MARCH, DUH!
- (And after that, get to Bowery Electric for a free post-March party called Jodie Foster!)
- Pride Island is SOLD OUT, so just get your face to LadyLand Fest Day 2! You can catch Gossip, Allie X, Mykki Blanco and many more, and tickets start at $55+!
- Or kick queer things off early at A/D/O! From 3pm to 4pm there are complimentary refreshments (IMPORTANT, slash it switches to cashless bar at 4pm to close) and there’ll be DJ sets from Starchild and the New Romantic, Lauren Flax and more! RSVP, duh!
- You can also head to Littlefield for 1. Open Flame’s presentation of World Flame ($8-$10) and/or 2. bklyn boihood’s World Pride Party ($20-$40)!
- Or if you’re down for even more Hot Rabbit times, then get to Lot 45 for the Pride edition of Bad Habit! Tickets are $15-$20 each.
- Judy, meanwhile, is happening at House of Yes, and will feature Eli Escobar, Lauren Flax and MORE! Tickets are allegedly sold out, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to finagle your way in still!
- AND over at Good Room we’ve got Nancy Whang and Gavin Rayna Russom doing a Ladies of LCD Soundsystem Pride Party! Tickets are $15+.
- Too broke? Just post up at C’mon Everybody for the World Pride edition of Yes Homo! Free starting at 4pm! (And after that, if you can scrape together $5 stick around for R&SHE: The Queens of Hip-Hop & RNB Pride Party ft. Dai Burger!)
- Plus it’s the 7th annual free All Ages Pride Party at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe w/ host Kristin Russo!
- And while we’re on the subject of stuff that’s good for kids, Ava Max is headlining Youth Pride in Manhattan! Free to attend!
- If LOLs are more your jam, you can catch the Pride edition of Queerotica (a comedy show) for just $5 at Strand Bookstore!
- Just wanna watch a movie outside tonight? Head to Columbus Square Park for a free screening of Crazy Rich Asians!
Sunday, June 30
- FIRST, we gotta talk about Pride stuff! Obviously stake your claim at the flippin’ Pride March in Manhattan!
- AND make sure you scope motherfuckin’ Mel C (YES, THE SPICE GIRLS ONE), Lauren Jauregui, The Veronicas AND Princess Nokia performing at PrideFest street festival! FREE!!!
- Then make a beeline for House of Yes, where JD Samson, JPatt and Amber Valentine are posting up for Proud: Pride March Afterparty! Tickets are $0-$10 a pop.
- Meanwhile, we’ve got Bushwig’s presentation of World Pride Divas at 3 Dollar Bill! Tickets are $10-$20 each.
- Plus it’s the WorldPride Closing Ceremony in Times Square! Margaret Cho will host, and Jake Shears and MNEK will perform. Free!
- If you’re feelin’ overwhelmed by rainbows, you can keep it slightly (but I mean EVER SO SLIGHTLY) more neutral over at Elsewhere for this week’s round of Tiki Disco! Tickets are $15.
- If you’d prefer to spend the day in the movie theater, get to Nitehawk Prospect Park for a brunch screening of Do The Right Thing!
- Or just swing by Syndicated for a $7 screening of Now and Then tonight!