It’s Labor Day Weekend! If you’re sticking around town (like yours truly), you’ll be glad to hear that there’s loads of stuff to do (besides the generic beach hangs ‘n BBQs) to stay entertained! I’m PERSONALLY v. hype on the fact that Lil Nas X is playing a show at Pier 17, and so we have arrived at our GIF theme (which ever so slightly beat out Spice World, which is screening for free on Our Wicked Lady’s roof on Monday night). Before we get into ALL of the options on the table, let’s first talk about what you might’ve missed this week if you were too busy being mega-amped about new Missy Elliott! And/or continuing to feel incredibly stressed about the state of the world, IDK, I’m kind of all of the above and am downplaying my panic through the excessive use of exclamation points and mildly deranged (attempts at) humor! #COOL:
- Our DC office did a definitive (DEFINITIVE!!!) White Claw taste test. Here are their definitive (DEFINITIVE!!!) power rankings!
- Speaking of DC, if you’re down to clown in the fall, Bentzen Ball now comes with 100% more Pete Holmes and Jamie Lee!
- I went to the opening night of the US Open and watched Serena Williams kick Maria Sharapova’s ass IRL and it was really great! Except for that I sat in a mostly Sharapova cheering section, which got awkward!
- (Also, here’s where to eat over there should you have any spare dollars after blowing your entire budget on seats and Honey Deuces! See also: if you’re in town this weekend, probably definitely go!)
- Astrology apps are ruining our lives PLEASE SEND HELP.
- I interviewed YACHT about their new record, which they created using artificial intelligence! The resulting conversation blew my goddamn mind!
- And we’re real into Kate Bollinger’s new EP, so it was extra dope that we got to catch her live at Baby’s last week!
Thursday August 29
- Let’s kick things off in comedy town! LugerFest: A Night of Butt Slapping is happening at Brooklyn Steel, and there’ll be performances by Michael Che, Jermaine Fowler, Michelle Wolf, The Lucas Brothers, Ilana Glazer and MORE! Tickets are $35+, and PLZ NOTE that no cell phones will be permitted in the event space! (Gotta lock that shit up on arrival in a Yondr case!)
- Moving into tunes territory, we’ve got The Natvral, Nicole Yun, Honey Cutt and Bloom playing a Kanine Records rooftop show at Our Wicked Lady! Tickets are just $10 a pop.
- There are also resale tickets still left to see Lil Nas X at Pier 17 for $37+! GO AND TAKE YOUR HORSE TO THE OLD TOWN ROAD!
- Or if you’re down to head on out to WFMU Monty Hall, Surfer Blood will be playing a $15 gig, too!
- If movies are more your jam, you can head on over to Syndicated for a $7 screening of Zombieland! (OBVIOUSLY SMUGGLE IN TWINKIES.)
- “2 LOWBROW 4 ME, MEGAN!” Okay, just post up at Metrograph for screenings of Vivre sa vie and Alphaville, then! (Wowee, what a real big Godard genius!)
- Broke dot com? Just get to Washington Square Park for a free outdoor screening of Dirty Dancing!
- But MAYBE you just wanna cut a goddamn rug, in which case head on over to House of Yes for a new round of Dirty Thursday, which is Born This Way-themed this time! Free as always!
Friday August 30
- Beginning with tunes, we’ve got Flying Lotus in 3D at Brooklyn Mirage! Nearly sold out, so grab $30-$45 tickets RIGHT THE HECK NOW!
- Or for George Michael/Wham tributes, hit up Gramercy Theatre! Tickets are $15.
- Got at least $100 to blow? This is the part where I tell you Electric Zoo kicks off today over at Randalls Island Park!
- But if you’re already trekkin’, why not just swing by White Eagle Hall for a Future Islands ‘n Ami Dang gig! Tickets are $25-$30 each.
- In LOL land, you can head to Union Hall for TWO solid comedy shows tonight – the first is That Shit Ray! ft. Rachel Joravsky, Rachel Pegram, Francesca D’uva, Brittany Carney and Marcia Belsky, and the second is Cheap Date Comedy Show’s 9 year anniversary ft. Sharron Paul, Calvin Cole, Christian Polanco, Chris Calogero, Carolyn Castiglia, Shanna Christmas and Nore Davis! Both are $8-$10 a pop.
- You should also obviously VERY heavily consider hitting up Caveat for Guys We F*cked Live w/ Krystyna Hutchinson and Corinne Fisher! Tickets are $20-$24.
- More into dance parties? Get to C’mon Everybody for a new round of R & SHE: The Queens of Hip Hop and RNB! Tickets are just $5 a pop.
- Or if you just wanna appreciate Keanu Reeves, get to Syndicated for $7 screenings of John Wick Chapter 3 and The Matrix!
Saturday August 31
- First things first – there’s a goddamn triple header of John Wick action at Syndicated starting at 3:30pm! Six hours, $20. (HELL YEAH!) And if you can only spare a *bit* of time, just get there for a late-night $7 screening of Speed!
- You can also latch onto end-of-summer vibes (ironically in a dark, cold place) at Nitehawk Prospect Park, where Dirty Dancing is screening for brunch at 11am!
- Or if you’re more in the mood for Nitehawk Williamsburg vibes, you can catch brunch screenings of Norma Rae and Office Space!
- If tunes are your MO, YA GOTTA get out to MoMA PS1 to hang out with Annie Mac at Warm Up! Tickets start at $18.
- But maybe you just wanna make it a real BYT Death Becomes Us-approved kinda day, in which case get to South Street Seaport for Brooklyn Brainery’s presentation of Murder at the Seaport Walking Tour! Tickets are $25 each.
- In terms of comedy, make it another double header at Union Hall night! First up is WALT ft. Tracy Soren, Angela Palladino, Julian Edward Williams, Mary Beth Barone, Taylor Garron, Joe Rumrill and Gabe Gonzalez! Tickets to that one are $8-$10. Afterwards, stick around for a new round of Super Video Bros. ft. Mike Brown, Dillon Stevenson, Alise Morales, Marie Faustin, Sean Malcolm and Sarah Hartshorne! Tickets are $10-$15.
- Just starving, mostly? Get to Archestratus for a flippin’ impromptu sausage ‘n peppers BBQ ft. sausage ‘n peppers ‘n onions on homemade semolina buns! (Allegedly fo’ free, 12pm-3pm!)
Sunday September 1
- Kick things off at A Murder Of Crows, aka a post punk festival happening at Brooklyn Bazaar! Grab a $35 day pass here.
- (Speaking of which, it’s the second annual Dark Market at Brooklyn Bazaar, which is FREE to peruse!)
- For queer vibes, head on over to Caveat! We’ve got Queer Memoir, the themed LGBT storytelling show, and this time we’re talkin’ SPORTS! (So basically, it’s gonna be real good!) Tickets are $10-$11 each.
- More in the mood to d-d-d-d-dance? Got $40+? Hit up Elsewhere to hang out at Horse Meat Disco’s residency, duh!
- Or if movies are more in your wheelhouse, head on over to Moving Image for a 2pm screening of Dunkirk! (I really liked Dunkirk, SUE ME!)
- Plus Jurassic Park is screening for free outdoors at Habana Outpost! GO EAT ALL OF THE MEXICORN!
- But maybe you’d prefer to spend your LDW at a new round of Beginner Witch Study Group at Catland, in which case get on over there FO’ FREE!
- And speaking of free, you can head to a rescheduled edition of Summer Thunder at Union Pool ft. Sun Ra Arkestra! 2pm!
Monday September 2
- For starters, it’s the West Indian Day Parade! Here are all the details you need to know.
- Just wanna spend your day in a dark ass movie theater? (SAME.) Get to Syndicated for $7 screenings of Booksmart and Midsommar!
- In terms of tunes, you can catch Krayzie Bone (Bone Thugs-n-Harmony) at Market Hotel for $20+!
- Or if you’re more into jam sessions, get to C’mon Everybody for The Jelly! Tickets are $8+.
- Just broke as heck? Get to the Bowery Electric for free pizza and free comedy!
- For dance vibes, you can head to Nowadays for Backyard Papi by the Papi Juice crew! Action kicks off at 2pm, free w/ RSVP or $10 otherwise!
- Meanwhile, House of Yes is hosting WERK: Labor Day Party, which is ALSO free w/ RSVP!
- AND MY TOP PICK OF ALL TIME GOES TO OUR WICKED LADY! They’re screening Spice World on the roof for free tonight!