WOWEE THE HOLIDAYS AMIRITE?! I haven’t done like, any shopping // yesterday I tried to, but then I ended up buying $93 of books for myself! (Good job!) Anyway, no idea what YOUR plans are the next week or so, but if you’re around for any/all of that time, we’ve got some solid options for your consideration! Many dance parties! Some great comedy shows! NYE parties! Screenings of Carol which I am making our GIF theme specifically out of queer principal, but also because I want you to never forget that I think Carol is actually kind of a garbage movie! (The soundtrack and outfits were p. good, though. I will give it that. But I’m sorry, I just don’t think it’s that good of a story!)
Before we get into all of the details, here’s what you might’ve missed on BYT since the last time we spoke in the event you were too busy wondering if you have to quit Harry Potter thanks to JK Rowling being a TERF piece of trash!
- Here are a bunch of terrible Christmas movies we think you should watch!
- Movie we thought were really good: A Hidden Life, Uncut Gems, Little Women!
- Movies we thought were not so good: 1917, Bombshell!
- We had another big ol’ book swap in DC last week! Here are the literary recommendations we got out of it!
- And here’s the fifth part of our FIFTY BEST FILMS OF THE 2010s!
Monday December 23
- Kicking things off on a comedic note, we’ve got Butterboy w/ Jo, Aparna and Maeve happening at Littlefield! Tonight’s lineup includes Naomi Ekperigin, Franqi French, Zach Zimmerman and more, and tickets are $10.
- You can also get into ye olde Christmas spirit at IFC Center! They’re having another screening of It’s A Wonderful Life ft. intro from Mary Owens (Donna Reed’s daughter)!
- And while we’re on cinema street, you can queer your holiday vibes at Metrograph! Carol is screening tonight; no I don’t think it is a good movie, but yes I acknowledge everyone else thinks so!
- Or if you’re more into a big weird performative holiday extravaganza, head to House of Yes for Xmas Spectacular! Tickets are $30-$80 each.
Tuesday December 24
- In the mood to d-d-d-d-dance? Hit up House of Yes for Misfit Christmas Eve! Free!
- Or if you’d prefer to spend your Christmas Eve in the company of Yo La Tengo for their 8 Nights of Hanukkah, then obviously get to Bowery Ballroom! Tickets are $50+.
- In terms of movies, Metrograph is screening Carol tonight AND The Muppet Christmas Carol!
- AND it’s your last chance to catch a screening of It’s A Wonderful Life ft. intro from Mary Owens (Donna Reed’s daughter) at IFC Center!
Wednesday December 25
- Guess what! You can spend your Christmas w/ Yo La Tengo for another one of their 8 Nights of Hanukkah at the Bowery Ballroom! Tickets are $50+!
- You can also scope a special screening of Uncut Gems at Metrograph tonight ft. Josh & Benny Safdie in person on Wednesday for a Q&A following the 7:15pm show!
Thursday December 26
- Go dance off all the cookies you ate yesterday at House of Yes, where the latest edition of Dirty Thursday is ugly sweater themed! Free entry!
Friday December 27
- If you’re into dance parties, obviously get to C’mon Everybody for major Diana Ross v. Donna Summer vibes! Tickets are just $5 each.
- You can also catch Seven Lions at Avant Gardner for $54.99+…
- …plus Elsewhere’s hosting RAC (DJ Set), Eau Claire & toucan sounds! Tickets to that will run you $20+.
- AND SG Lewis will be doing a DJ set at Good Room tonight for $25+!
- Or if you’re more into gypsy punk, then probably hit up Webster Hall for a $40+ Gogol Bordello gig!
Saturday December 28
- Starting at le cinema, there are brunch screenings of Edward Scissorhands at Nitehawk Williamsburg today and tomorrow!
- Moving into show territory, we’ve got Combo Chimbita and Sun Ra Arkestra at the Knitting Factory for $28+…
- …plus DELI GIRLS, Dreamcrusher and more will be at Trans-Pecos for $10!
- (Or if you couldn’t get enough Gogol Bordello last night, you can catch another gig at Webster Hall tonight for $40+!)
- Meanwhile, Elsewhere is hosting Nicky Siano ($15+) AND Le Youth ($20+) tonight, so PREPARE 2 DANCE!
- Or if it’s a nostalgic queer dance vibe you’re after, head to C’mon Everybody for the latest round of Yes Homo! Tonight is a big gay tribute to the 2010s, and as always, it’s free!
- (Plus stick around for a night of drag ‘n dance w/ Maddelynn Hatter! Tickets to that are $7-$10.)
- Broke dot com? Just get to Our Wicked Lady for a FREE Starchild & The New Romantic DJ set!
Sunday December 29
- In terms of LOLs, there’s a new round of STEVIE happening at Union Hall! Drew Anderson, Marcia Belsky and Sam Taggart will host guests Nick Naney, Annie Donley and Sandy Honig, and tickets’ll run you $8-$10 each.
- There’s also a new round of Couples Therapy at the Bell House tonight w/ Naomi Ekperigin and Andy Beckerman ft. guests Larry Owens, Jo Firestone and more! Tickets are $10.
- Moving into tunes territory, Deer Tick will be playing Brooklyn Bowl for $35!
- It’s also Festival of Light w/ Matisyahu and Bedouin Soundclash at Brooklyn Steel! Tickets are $25+.
- More into dance parties? C’mon Everybody is hosting an art pop night, and it’s 100% FREE!
Monday December 30
- For starters, OBVIOUSLY get to C’mon Everybody for Happy Rihannukkah, which is exactly what it sounds like – a Rihanna dance party! Tickets are just $5-$10.
- You can also catch a DJ set from Chromeo over at Schimanski! Tickets to that one are $35+.
- Meanwhile, we’ve got Wavves at The Dance for $25+!
- If it’s comedy you’re after, get to Littlefield for Comedians You Should Know ft. Robert Dean, Dave Hill, Mike Lebovitz and more! Tickets are $8-$10 a pop.
Tuesday December 31
- Pre-game your NYE with a solid comedy show! Hot & Fun is happening at Union Hall ft. performances by Mary Beth Barone, Rachel Pegram and more, and tickets are just $8-$10 each.
- If you’re broke dot com, you can stick around Union Hall for New Year’s Eve Time Machine, a dance party running from 8pm to close that costs a mere $5!
- Speaking of double-doses, you can head to Littlefield for a comedy pregame with Chris Gethard & Friends…
- …and if you’re into the Smiths, you can stick around for a Sons & Heirs NYE! Tickets are $20-$75 each.
- You can also head to the Bell House for The Rub; it’s $35-$40, but all advance tickets come with a champagne toast at midnight.
- Plus there are TWO choices at House of Yes tonight – 1. The Surrealist Ball ($40-$100) and 2. Golden Era ($40-$150)!
- Meanwhile, Baby’s All Right is having a Wavves NYE for $40+…
- …French Horn Rebellion is taking over Mercury Lounge for $15+…
- …or hang out w/ The Strokes, Mac DeMarco and Hinds at Barclays Center! Tickets start at $80.
- We’ve also got a $15 DJ set from Sleigh Bells at Brooklyn Bowl…
- …and there are major dance vibes at Elsewhere’s NYE w/ Neon Indian (DJ Set), Amtrac, Tiki Disco and more! Tickets are $55+.
- And if you’ve already been invited to a house party, then just pack up ye olde gang and get ’em to Littlefield for Disco 2020, a dance party which kicks off post-midnight at 12:30am! Tickets are just $5-$8 each.
- (Or for Jersey times, Rubblebucket have a $25 NYE show at White Eagle Hall!)
Wednesday January 1
- If a champagne-filled dance party that starts at 5:30am sounds up your street, then get to House of Yes for exactly that! Tickets are $39-$49 a pop.
- You can also celebrate NYD w/ Joseph Arthur at City Vineyard! Tickets are $30+.