Barely two days left of 2013, you guys. This year we published over 5300 stories (!!!!!!) and well, some came out on top, whether because you incessantly clicked on them or because our core staff loved them a little more deeply than others. So, without further beating around the proverbial internet bush, here is the top 13 stories traffic wise on BYT (both DC and NYC) and also the BEST-OF picks by the people who spend their days worrying about nothing else than what goes on this site.
From porn to straight edge icons, from brunches to binge netflix watching, from gay drama to pinterest porn, we have you all covered.
Lets dig in and feel free to let us know your favorites in the comments.
MOST POPULAR STORIES ON BYT (CHOSEN BY GOOGLE ANALYTICS AND YOU)
(from #13 to #1, because-ANTICIPATION!)
- 13. TOP 12 HOTTEST WORKPLACES IN DC – in March, our friends at Hinge released some interesting data about which, according to their millions of user ratings, are the most attractive workplaces in DC. Then, we got to be be highly speculative and meanspirited and ponder what makes these businesses employ so many beautiful people.
- 12. FIRST LOOK: BLACK WHISKEY – In a year of amazing restaurant and bar openings, this is seemingly the one you cared the most to learn about in advance.
- 11. DC TRIVIA NIGHTS GUIDE – DC is filled with nerds and we say that with all the love in our hearts.
- 10. TEN WAYS TO WOO AN OTTER THIS VALENTINE’S DAY – NSFW-ish – Not a bestiality article, we pinky swear. For our straight friends, otters are a highly sought-after subset of the gay community. Typically, they are thin-to-muscular with body hair and an optional beard. The BYGays broke it down for you how to get with one. A lot of you were very interested.
- 9. BEST DC FIRST DATE SPOTS – A HANDY GUIDE – a handy “date/get-together-with-a-person-you-are-maybe-sexually-interested-in/whatever-the-kids-are-calling-it-these-days” guide which mines our extensive embarrassing dating histories for your own benefit (and hopefully amusement). And while this installment did best, please check out the related guides as well: BEST DC PLACES FOR A NON-DATE/DATE-HANG Dates (aka “where to go with people you are purposefully avoiding using the word DATE with, for now”); BEST DC PLACES FOR A BLIND DATE (aka “where to go with people you have never met in person but have temporary semi-high hopes for”); BEST DC PLACES FOR A SEAL THE DEAL/SPECIAL OCCASION DATE (aka “where to go with people who somehow REALLY MATTER to you. Emotionally”)
- 8. WHY HEMLOCK GROVE IS THE BEST WORST THING ON NETFLIX -We could not tear ourselves away from the awful/compelling/awfully compelling horror drama. We TRIED to understand why. You seemed to look for explanations too.
- 7. BYT INTERVIEWS: IAN MACKAYE – a rare, in-depth sit down with music legend and DC hero. Great photos too, offering a look inside his home, Dischord and beyond. Bonus: a photo of Noam Chomsky with a banana. Basically everything you ever wanted in an interview.
- 6. FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE – You love your free outdoor movies. You really, really do.
- 5. SILLY GAYS: A COMPLETE HISTORY OF STOLI VODKA AS TOLD BY GIFS – A lot of anger has been directed lately at Russian vodka due to Vladimir Putin’s horrible anti-gay laws. One group, led by sex columnist/guy-we’d-totally-sleep-with Dan Savage is even leading a #DumpStoli boycott of Stolichnaya vodka because it is Russian. Unfortunately, Savage and his friends couldn’t be more wrong about Stoli (which is not a Russian vodka). So, the BYGays are here to help set the record flamboyantly straight. (DISCLAIMER: we should point out that BYT has a wonderful working relationship with Diageo, which owns rival vodka brand Smirnoff and all it’s uber-delicious Smirnoff brands. So, we have no financial interest in this story, it just needed to be (HILARIOUSLY) told)
- 4. THE LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC – 2013 EDITION – BYT readers are very interested in spending their time and money in non-douchey locations. We’re very proud of you for that. 2012 List was way up on top too. The comments section is VERY useful too. Drink up.
- 3. DC OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE – Although, you apparently cared a little more about drinking outdoors. Which is cool and ok and everything is better when weather is not shitty.
- 2. THIS ONE TIME: MY AMATEUR PORN DATE WITH JAMES DEEN -our very own Jenn Tisdale responded to a tweet from James Deen about making a clip with him, then actually got selected to do it, then DID IT, then wrote all about it. We treated it pretty casually at first (as we would) but then the internet WENT INSANE over it. Jezebel, Deadspin, The Daily Mail, XO Jane, Huffington Post and beyond all picked it up and Jenn ended up on the cover of City Paper as one of DC’s most interesting people. Which she definitely is. Sensationalist angles aside, the story is funny and pithy and candid without being TOO CANDID and full of quotables (“I arrive to my hotel, and basically start treating this as if I’m getting ready to go to the prom”). BONUS: The only porn related story published in 2013 ANYWHERE with a John Mulaney namedrop (and a John Mulaney twitter endorsement later on)
- 1. BRUNCH GUIDE 2013 – We love brunch. We love you. So herewith, a combination of that love: the BYT approved list of perennial favorites, bottomless brunches (drink up), cool menus, parent approved locations, and more. Apparently you felt the love and loved it right back.
HONORABLE MENTIONS: you guys also really got into these posts: High Heels Race Photos, GO TOPLESS Day Photos, Old School Porn Interviews with Lily Labeau and Zoe Voss and Secret Spring DC Guide. In short: sex, drinking, and funnies sell. Thank you for clicking.
But, it was not all just that. We did do a bunch of stories we’re deeply proud of that maybe didn’t make the top 13 spots, and we think they’re worth your time VERY MUCH. Click through these too:
BYT CORE STAFF PICKS: OUR PERSONAL FAVORITES OF 2013
- Favorite Stereotyping: DC Bros – please stand up. Where we answer the forever questions: What is a bro? What are the specific dimensions of bro-ness?
Favorite Tisdale that isn’t ‘adult’: Jen Kirkman interview. It’s lovely to see a friendship develop in a Q and A.
- Favorite Feel-Good Moment: That one time someone stole Bucket’s iphone and the good citizens of DC helped him retrieve it. As Bill and/or Ted tell us:
- Favorite ‘Love’: We never realized how much we loved Belle and Sebastian until our contributors shared their love.
- Favorite Dating Shorthand: 9 TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU MEET IN DC WHILE ONLINE DATING. Funny because it is SO TRUE.
- Favorite Bucket: The new, revived advice column. While I love all of Bucket’s writing, but (for his own safety) we don’t like him having to chase after criminals for his damaged iPhone.
- Favorite Nostalgia: An Ode to Old, and Weird DC
- Favorite Tennis Conversation with a Hip Hop Star: Pusha T Interview
- Favorite Story with Nipples in the Title: Naomi Wolf Interview
- Favorite Nerd Out: BYT Guide to Comic Books for People Who Don’t Really Read Comics
- Second Favorite Nerd Out: Ti West Interview
- Favorite “Music” Reporting: Vans Warped Tour post or whatever the hell that festival was – amazing. Words, photos, everything.
- Second “Favorite” Music Reporting: Sigur Ros on Acid
- Favorite Smack Talk of God (aka David Byrne): The Holy Ghost! interview
- Favorite online “FIGHT” between BYT staffers: The Phish Taste Test
- Favorite pinterest porn: Our placesettings inspiration guide.
- Favorite Science: The Taco Bell Smothered Burrito Taste Taste.
- Second Favorite Science: Can a Stem Cell Burger Taste Good?
- Favorite Legba: Train adventure. Live like a vagabond without the threat of arrest.
- Favorite Legitimately Useful Information if You Are A Young Person Living In Washington: The Ultimate Guide to Impressing Your Visiting Parents in DC
- Favorite Pop Culture Commentary: #LindsaysNextChapter: Hour of Oprah Throwing Shade post
- Favorite Spookiness: IF LOOKS COULD KILL Halloween Costume photo shoot
- Favorite Everyday Beverage Story: Our Interview with Cory Andreen, world coffee tasting champion. FUN FACTS AND CAFFEINE RULES AHOY.
Favorite ‘Trip’: Rappahannock oyster trip. BYT food photography tends to make everyone salivate. This made us hungrier than any other post. Aside from that smothered buritto taste test. Because science always makes us hungry.
- Favorite interaction with a funny person that was (sadly) not part of Bentzen Ball: the John Hodgman interview
- Favorite DIY: make your own denim leather jacket. be the source of EVERYONE’S ENVY WITH YOUR SWEET NEW DENIM LEATHER JACKET. Easy.
- Favorite Shattered Illusion: Game of Thrones Beer Taste Test
- Favorite Photos: July 4 Pool Party. Who would go in that water? Here are the people that would go in that water.
- Favorite List of Favorites: Our BEST OF list of BEST OF 2013 POSTS.
and that’s all we got you guys. The floor is yours in the comment section to let us know your faves/what you maybe would like to see more of on BYT.