In the spirit of time-does-not-exist anymore, we decided we could all use a Christmas right about now, religious convictions, calendar and whatnot else be damned. So we are re-running some of our favorite holiday content, just because. Use this round-up as an inspiration to a. support small businesses (some amazing ones are listed here, and a lot of them are struggling) and b. pick yourself and a loved one a little pick-me-up these days, or c. just hide and watch holiday content all day.
xoxo, BYT (and Merry Christmas! In April!)
OK, HERE IS WHAT WE GOT FOR YOU:
FIRST OF ALL, START BY CRANKING THIS UP:
Now that you are in a mood:
GET SOME GIFTS:
- Every year, BYT runs a spectacular, locally shoppable gift guide. Use it as an incentive to support local businesses, get some gifts (or gift cards) for a pick-me-up for you and your loved ones.
- Check out this list of freshly-released books that feel like a hug or a high five right now. Buy all of them.
THINGS TO EAT:
- Set a pinterest worthy table – we had teams behind A Creative DC, Salt & Sundry, She Loves Me etc show us how a while back.
- Every year we ask DC’s food writers about their favorite places and dishes in the last twelve months. Support local bars and restaurants and use this list to pick a magical place to order a dinner worthy of a misplaced holiday for yourself tonight.
- Peruse our food section for other ideas as well.
- Feel more like baking? Here’s some cookies we’d recommend.
- Pair it with a local beer, delivered.
- Or a holiday punch, all for yourself.
THINGS TO WATCH:
- Our best bad holiday movie streaming guide has the finest in snow, angels, princes, hot ghosts and Dolly Parton. Just this list can get you through the toughest of times. Thank you Netflix and Lifetime.
- A great list of best holiday episodes of shows you know and love – right here.
- In a darker mood? Our own Jenn Tisdale prepared this HOLIDAY HORROR list, just for this occasion.
- BYT livestreams today are quite festive: QuaranQueens are back and more.
- PLUS, OBVIOUSLY: Elf, Just Friends, Love Actually, Christmas In Connecticut, The Family Stone, It’s A Wonderful Life (we could all use a good uglycry right now), Lethal Weapon and more
IMPORTANT TO NAP WELL
DURING THE HOLIDAYS IT IS IMPORTANT TO GIVE BACK, SO DO THESE THINGS:
- 730DC is keeping an amazing live doc with links for people looking to help in the community right now, bookmark it, use it, etc
- Stay Home Take Care has a great give-back/take-care-of-others section as well
- Mental health is a priority right now – we have a good resource list here., for you or someone else you know who may be struggling
AND OF COURSE, KEEP LISTENING TO THIS:
BYT makes our living off of things that are currently non-existent as a source of income (arts, events, arts and event advertising). If you’d like to support the work we do, click here. Every little helps right now. Thank you.