Though not everyone is privileged enough to get a vacation, everyone deserves one. This means that for many a staycation will have to do. But how do you make a staycation feel more like a vacation than simply an extended weekend? The answer is to step-up on the indulgences: drink plenty and eat fatty. So plan a visit to one of these trusty destinations, pull up a bar stool and forget the daily hustle, even though you’re still amongst it all.
- Nothing says, ‘I’m on vacation’ quite like drinking by a large body of water. And Cantina Marina is the closest you can get to the water with a drink in the District without physically stepping into the Anacostia (which I would highly advise against). The cantina offers daily all-day specials, highlights include $3 Tecates on Tuesdays, $3.50 Corona and Corona Light on Wednesdays, and $4.50 Yuengling 16oz cans all day Saturday.
- A vacation calls for Vino. So check out Vinoteca, one of D.C. best wine bars. Happy hour is everyday from 5-7 P.M., there’s a $14 cheese board. Because vacation may also call for an overdose on cheese.
- That is because what marks a staycation as more vacation than extended weekend is a complete embrace of indulgences. For example, Station 4 duck fat fries are not for everyday consumption, but on staycation it can be. Station 4 offers daily happy hour Monday-Friday from 4-7 P.M with $4 drafts and $5 house liquor.
- If you looking to do some day drinking, Tuesday at Barcode its 1/2 price all day (and all night) on all drafts and bottles of wine. If you’re looking to drink during normal drinking hours, all drinks are half-off during happy hour from 3-7 P.M. Wednesday-Friday and on Monday its from 3 P.M. to midnight.
- Sangria is one of the most time-honored relaxants. At Compass Rose you can get it for $5 during happy Monday through Friday from 5-7 P.M.