It’s time to embrace our horrible reality with government shutdown related happy hours. Whether you’re a government employee, partner of a government employee, journalist, sanitation worker or just someone that like to walk through the National Zoo, this shutdown sucks. It sucks for everyone. Except the bar scene. The bar scene is going to love this. And you’re going to make some new friends. BONUS: we’re illustrating this with our favorite government workers (the cast of “PARKS & REC”, duh) DRINKING
KEEP CHECKING BACK BECAUSE WE’RE HEARING ABOUT NEW HAPPY HOURS THROUGHOUT THE DAY!
- FIRST UP-it is a gorgeous day outside, so utilize our HAPPY HOUR OUTDOOR DRINKING guide to the max
- Marvin –Tuesday, AT 12:00pm until…! **STELLA ARTOIS ON SPECIAL** TAG LINE: “Prices keep rising just like our deficit! ”
$1.00 Stella from noon to 1pm
$2.00 Stella from 1pm to 2pm
$3.00 Stella from 2pm to 3pm
$4.00 Stella from 3pm to 4pm
**They’ll extend $4.00 Happy Hour Specials all night long for government employees (government badge required).**
- 1905 Bistro & Bar – available to everyone while supplies last – during dinner hours starting at 5:00PM –
Artisanal sausage and 3 sides plus a beer for $15.
- Cashion’s Eat Place: Happy hour pricing and 50% off select appetizers with a Gov ID the entire night through the shutdown period.
- Hill Country Barbecue is offering happy hour drink specials all day to anyone with a Government ID during the shutdown: $3 PBR, $5 Well Shots & Drinks, $5 Margaritas and $20 Margarita Pitchers.
— Hill Country DC (@HillCountryWDC) October 1, 2013
- Granville Moore’s is running a $1 Stella Shutdown special with $3 Under Pressure BBQ Pork Belly Bites. They open today at 2:00pm for late lunch and day drinking. Open to everyone – while supplies last.
Damn the #shutdown w $1 Stella til it's over.
— Granville Moore's (@GranvilleMoores) October 1, 2013
- Clyde’s of Georgetown: All Cans of Beer $3, Leinekugel’s Summer Shandy Draft $4, Starr Hill Starr Pils Draft $4, All Absolut and Maker’s Mark Cocktails $4, Fireball and Rumchata Shots $4, Rosemount Shiraz $5 Glass, Blue Plate Specials under $10
- Clyde’s of Chevy Chase: 20% entire check with valid government ID (excluding lobster special)
- Trummer’s On Main: Every night but Saturday (and Monday because the restaurant is closed) from 5-7pm, Trummer’s on Main will offer half off on ALL wines by the glass, beer and cocktails with a Government ID. The promotion goes as long as the government is unable to resolve their differences and are able to grow up and play like big kids.
- Graffiato – with Governement ID: $2 Bar bites, $3 beers, $4 wines, and $5 punch.
- Sticky Rice – Starting at noon today – 1/2 sushi and American Beers for all
- POSTO will offer the following “Shutdown Specials” for the duration of the shutdown for ALL patrons. You only need to spend a Lincoln ($5) and a Hamilton ($10) for a delicious dinner! “B-S” Ravioli $10 (Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli in brown butter, sage, and garlic, with crushed amaretti cookies.) Glass of Vino for $5 (rosso piceno superiore doc montepulciano/sangiovese – de Angelis (red) $5, inzolia/grillo blend sicilia igt – Fondo Antico (white) $5)
- Mockingbird Hill – all governement workers with valid ID will get a free glass of sherry today.
- Penn Social – With Government ID, score $3 beers (which include classy choices such as Bell’s Oktoberfest) and 30% off all wings
Boundary Road (@boundaryrd) is offering several drink specials during an all day furlough happy hour today – open to anyone & everyone – including $5 Local brews, $5 Green Hat Gin and tonics, and a $7 “Non-Essential Combo” which is a Narragansett Tall Boy and a shot of Old Overholt Rye
LINCOLN – The Filibuster Punch: kumquat infused cachaca & chairman’s spiced rum, orange & vanilla rooibos tea $42
Teddy & The Bully Bar – The Shutdown Cider: House made local apple cider, pisco, fresh lemon & chinese 5 spice $11
- Acre121 – extended happy hour til 8pm for all. Bring a government ID and get a burger or BBQ sandwich + a beer for $10.
- MXDC will be offering $6 margaritas and $6 taco platter (comes with 3 tacos) for the duration of the shutdown
- at the COUPE:
— The Coupe (@thecoupedc) October 1, 2013
— Art and Soul (@ArtandSoulDC) October 1, 2013
JUST NEED SOME CAFFEINE?
- The Daily Dish in Silver Spring is offering free cups of coffee to all government workers. No purchase needed. Members of congress pay double. Offer is good for the duration of the shutdown.
- Sixth & I Historic Synagogue has you covered with Shutdown Central. They’ll have everything from constant streaming of the West Wing to Political Ping Pong, plus free coffee, food and wifi.
IN THE MOOD TO ESCAPE REALITY WITH SOME MAGICAL THEATRE?
- 9:30 Club is offering BUY-1-GET-1 FREE TICKETS to select shows (including FLAMING LIPS/ANDREW WK/STEVE AOKI and more) through 11:59 pm tonight. TICKETS + CODE HERE
- Howard Theatre is OFFERING FREE TICKETS TO GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. So, there’s that too.
- BYT is offering a 50% discount to our Official Bentzen Ball After party on October 12th feat. ANIMAL COLLECTIVE DJS, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS DJS AND MORE which basically means you get the best party of your life for $5.
- At Signature Theatre, no one is non-essential! For a limited time only, furloughed federal employees can reserve a FREE pair of tickets to Miss Saigon for any performance this week as long as the government is shuttered. There are a limited number of tickets left, and they’re available in person at the Signature Box Office when reserved with a valid government ID. Come live “The American Dream” on us!
- Cavalia’s producers offer the DC Metropolitan area a 50% discount for limited time only. This major rebate will apply on all tickets for Cavalia’s newest production Odysseo. Tickets for Cavalia’s Odysseo are available online atwww.cavalia.net, on the phone by calling 1-866-999-8111, or in person at the box office on the show site, located at The Plateau in National Harbor. The special 50% discount is valid for one week only, through Tuesday,
- Strathmore is showing its support with special $20 tickets to four of our October performances – comedian Bill Engvall on Sunday, October 6; Sutton Foster on Saturday, October 12; Les Violons du Roy with Stephanie Blythe on Tuesday, October 15; and Dianne Reeves on Friday, October 18. More information about Strathmore’s special ticket offer is available at http://www.strathmore.org/
They may shutdown our government, but only we can shutdown our livers.
BONUS: For an excellent list of related happy hours, we recommend checking out the Washington City Paper’s selection and Washington Post’s Selection