A column dedicated solely to the latest and greatest in affordable alcohol (and food, we guess) consumption news in DC. Never say we don’t love you. A LOT.
- FIRST UP: for permanent access to more free stuff than EVER and endless happy hour opps – We JUST announced the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. SO-SIGN UP.
HAPPY HOUR NEWS:
- HOORAY-all sorts of early starting happy hours (just in time for summer and (hopefully) shorter office days):
- 701 Restaurant welcomes summer with a special extended happy hour. From the press release: “Guests can enjoy the inviting terrace overlooking the Navy Memorial fountain and sip featured $7 cocktails and $6 wines by the glass from 3 PM to 7 PM daily beginning June 17th until September. In case of inclement weather, happy hour specials can be enjoyed in 701’s sleek lounge.”
- GRAFFIATO – as of last Friday and running through August 30, Graffiato will be offering a Friday happy hour from 2pm-6pm that includes $5 market punch, $5 house red and white wines, $5 draft Montelvini Prosecco and $5 draft beer (DC Brau, Lagunitas IPA, Peroni).
- AZUR -ALSO as of last Friday, Azur will be offering its popular Oyster happy hour early on Fridays. From 3-7pm, the Penn Quarter seafood restaurant will be serving up $1 oysters and select $5 draft beers and $6 cocktails.
- ART and SOUL – Art Smith’s Capitol Hill Southern restaurant is offering a patio happy hour that includes: Seasonal punch by the glass ($7) or bowl ($30), $5 small bites, including pickles, boudin balls and scotch eggs, select $7 cocktails and wines by the glass, select beers for $5 or $27 for a bucket of 6. The menu will be available Monday–Friday from 4pm–7pm.
- DEL CAMPO – STEPPING UP the game with an 11:30 AM start on Fridays – Victor Albisu’s (extremely delicious) new eatery just launched Street Food Fridays, during which Chef Albisu will offer one or more traditional South American street food favorites for carry-out only from the patio, beginning at 11:30am. First up is the Chori-Pan, a sandwich of chorizo, pulled pork, rapini and sweet pickle chimichurri on a baguette for $8. The restaurant will also be offering its $7 happy hour specials in the bar and on its patio from 11:30am-7pm on Fridays.
- ONTO MORE:
- TORTILLA COAST in Capitol Hill is celebrating 25 years of business with events Thursday-Saturday this week, including a RETRO HAPPY HOUR on Thursday, June 20th which will go on from 3:30 to 8:00pm with retro pricing on happy hour items and a trivia night thrown in. On top of that on Friday, June 21st- is Guest Bartending Night, on Friday, June 21. TortillCoast has teamed up with the Capitol Hill Community Foundation who has established a special fund to provide help as needed in the aftermath of the June 5 Frager’s Hardware fire. Neighbors concerned about the store’s employees and other businesses impacted are encouraged to come out and join local firefighters to make it a charitable evening dedicated to raising donations. From 7:30 p.m. until 9:00 p.m., the fine firemen from Engine 18 & Truck 7 who risk their lives to put out the flames, will shine behind the bar, making it a fun and memorable night for all. On Saturday-there is an ALL YOU CAN EAT FAJITAS SITUATION HAPPENING.
- THIS SATURDAY: And Can Jam DC was just announced AT THE KASTLES STADIUM, featuring over 40+ beers. Enter code BYT at checkout for $10 off (or if you’re EXTRA thrifty, try and win a pair at our giveaway).
- Friday, June 20th, THRILLIST is pulling out all the stops with a BEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE promotion situation, which, features free and almost-free things at a number of places you know and love around town like the Standard, Black Jack, Vinoteca and more… DOWNLOAD THE ITINERARY HERE and make plans to call in sick that day.
- PERMANENT HAPPY HOUR ADDITION TO YOUR ROSTER: Showtime just opened in Bloomingdale and it is pretty amazing. The bar will be open 7 days a week (2pm during weekdays, and 3pm on the weekend), is a cash only establishment (there is an ATM though) and no, there is no cocktail menu here. The bar staff is an all-star round-up of 14th street veterans from Black Cat and Saint-Ex and if anyone knows how to serve a beer-and-a-whiskey in town, it is them. The fact that there will be a rolling $5 special on those helps as well. The beers are not too fancy either , with Natty Boh and Tecate cans starting at $3, and a trim but solid four draft beer selection includes Bells Oberon and DC Brau Public Ale. Also on the menu: $4 wine
- ALSO-Looking for a good happy hour spot in Clarendon? ZAGAT has you covered.
- BONUS: Oyamel has had one of our favorite happy hours for forever ($5 classic margaritas and wine, $4 beers, $4 bites!) and now with their gorgeous new (and BLESSEDLY EXPANDED) bar is finished there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON NO TO MOVE IN, and we’ve got the photos to prove it.
Your recommendations, of course, welcome in the comments (And if you want your happy hour included in one of the future lists/have a happy hour to recommend email us at: [email protected])