The Bentzen Ball is coming back. To get in the chuckle mood/drunk, here are some happy hours that include free, hopefully good, comedy. All of the following mics have no cover, no drink minimum and more than Miller Lite.
- Mondays – Start the working week in a neighborhood near where you work, Dupont Circle. Townhouse Tavern has a weekly open mic hosted by Sean Joyce. His laid-back style is an excellent way to ease yourself into the stand up world. Comforting and confident, Joyce and others from Underground Comedy DC are doing a service for the comics and audience members of the District.
- Tuesdays – The latest of the mics, Comedy on the Corner at Penn Social makes this 10pm show perfect for the alcoholic comedy fan. This is not a bad thing. Everyone deserves laughs. Everyone deserves $4 Sailor Jerry drinks.
- Wednesdays – Each week the Wonderland Ballroom produces a variety show in the upstairs show space. Wonderland Wednesdays begins with the mostly stand up Highway Robbery hosted by Haywood Turnipseed Jr, continues on the second Wednesday of the month with a true variety and character driven show Church Night hosted by Linsay Deming, the third Wednesday is hosted by the funniest mom Adam Friedland with Funny Moms and the last Wednesday is The Wonderland Circus hosted by Christian Hunt.
- Thursdays – One of the more popular mics, the Awesome Thursdays Comedy Open Mic at RFD brings a classic comedy club crowd to the Chinatown bar. We like it for the gigantic beer selection and professional feel. This is as close you’ll get to a club style open mic without being in a club.
- Fridays – Before you party, sit down, have a beer in a dive bar that actually smells like a dive bar and stay in Dupont Circle a little longer. The Wednesday and Friday mic at Big Hunt is ideal for the skeptic who isn’t sure if this whole people-standing-on-stage-and-using-their-words-to-elicit-laughs thing is for them.
- Saturdays – If you’re willing to travel on public transportation to the Arlington Draft House and Cinema, you’ll be treated to a packed room with quality performers. The weekly 10:30pm mic features up-and-comers vying for a spot to open for the up-and-coming bigger name acts coming to their big room. Sometimes those bigger names acts from the big room drop in for a set.
Have a laugh! Or get drunk. Either works.