Summer is vacation season. Summer is also tourist season. Because, bizarrely enough, some people (many people) are crazy enough to spend their vacation time here. Must be the magnetic draw of the Capital’s free museums and large looming marble statues. Although an often frustrating breed, you should have sympathy for your fellow human, tourist though they may be. So if you happen to see one that’s lost and thirsty, please take the time to point them in the direction of one of our District’s many reasonable happy hours.
- Novelty sells. While skeeball is new to nobody, skeeball in a bar could seem a wildly innovative idea to some. Even if its not, Penn Social has plenty to do to entertain your visitor. Best of all, happy hour is everyday from 4-7 p.m. with $2 off all drafts and $5 drinks.
- City Tap House has very solid American food. We’re talking blue crab mac and cheese. It’ll work for any international person looking for a real American meal experience. The draft list will also be sure to please. Happy hour is everyday from 4-7 p.m. and features $5 craft beers.
- Matchbox started off in 2002 in Chinatown. It has since expanded to two other locations in the District, because its goddamn reliable. And everybody loves a good pizza. Happy hour is everyday between 3-6 p.m. and includes $5 select drafts, $7 cocktails, and a healthy variety of tiny bites.
- If your visitor has a more refined palate, or is simply someone excited by the words cheese board, then I’d suggest Denson. Happy hour is Monday-Friday from 4:30-7 p.m. and offers 9$ cocktails, which are well worth it.
- Now if our guest demands to be taken off the beaten path, this person must be super alternative. So take them out to Lyman’s where they can do some romanticizing about pinball, analyze the jukebox, and drink $2 PBR drafts everyday for happy hour from 11-7 p.m.