Girls on Film: Halloween Style Inspiration
Morgan Hungerford | Oct 26, 2007 | 7:47AM |

Halloween falls on a Wednesday this year, which means that you probably need a costume like NOW for this weekend. To inspire those of you who a) waited until the last minute, and b) are still holding onto that “Sexy Cat/Nurse/What Have You” costume you wore in college, here are 4 costume ideas from 4 Movies We Love (The Royal Tenenbaums, Home Alone, Beetlejuice, and Heavy Metal Parking Lot) that you can easily put together from either thrift stores or your friends’ closets. Happy Halloween!

halloween_strip.jpg

becca-margot-1.jpg
“I can’t even begin to think about knowing how to answer that question.”

The adopted daughter of Royal and Etheline Tenenbaum (and sister to Richie and Chas), Margot Tenenbaum is all cool indifference, eyeliner, and SECRETS. Channel Margot in a slip (perfect for sulking around in bathrooms), perfectly blunt-cut hair (no scissors necessary – we got ours with some serious hairspray and bobby pins), and her signature pieces: a belted fur coat and a wooden finger. Accessorize with clandestine affairs, concealed Dunhills, inappropriately intense love of a sibling, cuckolds and/or loafers.
becca-margot-2.jpg
becca-margot-4.jpg

halloween_strip.jpg

cortney-kevin-1.jpg
“I don’t wanna sleep with Fuller! If he has too much Pepsi, he’ll wet the bed!”

Alright, so Kevin McCallister may not qualify as a GIRL on film (afer all, he’s the MAN of the HOUSE), but sometimes comfort rules and you’re just way into the idea of dressing up as an 8 year old in a Christmas sweater. A power-tool-wielding, booby trap-making, tarantula-loosing, bebe gun-shooting, Wet Bandit-boggling 8 year old in a Christmas sweater. Tell me that’s not appealing. Accessories for Kevin are a whole cheese pizza (just for you), a cracked picture of Buzz’s girlfriend (woof!), and a toothbrush that’s been approved by the American Dental Association. Bonus points for rocking a turtleneck under the sweater like it’s picture day at school.
cortney-kevin-2.jpg
cortney-kevin-3.jpg

halloween_strip.jpg

ashley-lydia-2.jpg
“My life is a dark room. One big dark room.”

Lydia Dietz was way pissed when her dad and stepmom moved her out to the sticks, but her haunted new house turned out to be right up her death-obsessed alley. As the unwilling bride of Beetlejuice (hence the veil) she took late-80s, bummed-out, goth-teen angst to surprising new heights. All black is de riguer for Lydia, as are undereye circles, spiky bangs and a newly discovered copy of The Handbook For The Recently Diseased Deceased. Non-optional accessories are sullenness, a healthy disdain for sculpture (“This is my ART and it is DANGEROUS”) and, of course, Beetlejuice’s shrunken head.
ashley-lydia-1.jpg
ashley-lydia-3.jpg

halloween_strip.jpg

kara-hmpl-1.jpg
“I’m Dawn, I’m 13.”

The girls of “Heavy Metal Parking Lot” loved hairspray, their way older boyfriends, and REALLY 80s JEANS. They weren’t opposed to making out before the Priest show, and given the chance they’d jump Rob Halford’s bones and show him just what Glen Burnie, MD was made of. Get the look in a metal band t-shirt, a leather or denim jacket from decades past, and copious amounts of eyeshadow. But don’t go overboard on the 80s theme – our model really put it best: this is HONEST 80s. No bangles necessary (but crimped bangs are bitchin’). Accessories include but are not limited to: red cups, beer, being underage, more beer.
kara-hmpl-2.jpg
kara-hmpl-3.jpg

ROLL CREDITS
Photographer: Shervin Lainez of shervinfoto
Sets & Styling: Morgan Hungerford
Margot Tenenbaum: Becca Gourley
Kevin McCallister: Cortney Hungerford
Lydia Dietz: Ashley Fulwiler
Heavy Metal Parking Lot Girl: Kara Voorhees
Hair & Make Up: Cortney Hungerford
Special Effects (ie: graphic design): Erik Loften
Produced by: Svetlana Legetic
Special thanks to the Greens for the 1984 Ford LTD, and to Ben for jumpstarting it for us. Twice.

Comments:
  • svetlana Svetlana says:

stone cold foxes. all of them.

• Jason Bond says:

Kara. My god. I’m totally amping up the lasciviousness next time I see you, you’d better wear a rain coat.

• annette says:

loved it!

• physic E. says:

Way cool! I see a bright future for everyone. Cortney those eyes tell a story.You have the artist dot in your eye. Rare. Conquer your world, girls.

• bensmom says:

How about that car!!

• mc ryan says:

this is phenomenal! you’ve outdone yourself once again.

• Michael says:

So, if I wear the cowboy hat, my sheepskin lined jacket, jeans and boots and stick some sheeps wool in the fly of my jeans how many people will get it?

And how many will be offended? Raise your hands.

• Michael says:

Becca: uh, um, wow. I’d give up all the clouds and all the KY for Margot Tenenbaum.

And who is Lydia Dietz? Not who is Lydia Dietz, but who is Lydia Dietz?

The Chungerford is perfect.

• Sara says:

fucking fabulous!! kara looks a little too perfect, don’t you think? i LOVE that you included lydia dietz. the sets are perfect, too!

• Lidiaferreira says:

We always look fowarrd to your updates with the hope that Scout is having a good day. Mandy do you remember when Scout was only a few months old and Mark and I went to Bible study with you on Wednesday evening? I made the comment that Scout was blessed to have you and Gabe as parents and your reply was that you are blessed to have Scout. We believe God knows what is best and that He will continue to be with you and may He always give you strength. We pray that you can feel God close by through those long and difficult nights and during the good times as well. Several from church continue to ask about all of you and they continue to remember each of you in their prayers. Our love and prayers are always with you.

• theholidaygirl says:

kara, that is funny shit. that last one should be your christmas card.

• Lily says:

80’s wins!
    damn, those shoes are amazing
    details?

• Open says:

I am praying wuihott ceasing for you, gabe, scout, Cindy and all concerned with the surgery. The lord has given you strength beyond what you could know .and He will continue to give you a sustained peace and hope. I am thankful for the few quality minutes I had with Scout here .I was touched by her energy and spirit. Her light inspires me. She is truly one of God’s special children .we just don’t know the extent of her mission. It may be complete or just beginning .I was blessed by the time with her. Eph 3:20 ..Pam

• Gerardito says:

Clearly, Apple’s instance shop is deraecld the winner by way of distance. It is just a variety of all types connected with options as contrasted with an extremely gloomy number of a number with regard to Microsoft zune. Microsof company provides designs, especially in the whole world of activities, however I not really know I’d desire to wager for the long term future issue part is extremely important to you personally. Ipod and iphone can be a more effective preference now.

• svetlana Svetlana says:

They were Kara’s own.

Every time I see the photos all I can think is her saying “Hey, My Name is Dawn, I’m 13 and I’m from Glen Burrrrrrnie. Wanna Make out?”,

And it still cracks me up every time.

• Michael says:

Ok, I need some ideas even though I’ve received NOT ONE Party invite (which is duly noted should I ever throw another one).

I rocked the Depp as Pirate look before (go ahead, admit it, I fucking nailed it)

Right now I’ve got nothing. It’s 11:00 am. I have to work until 4:00 Then I have to go put a new cylinder, piston, and head on a friend’s motorcycle, then I get to put together a costume.

Go:

• Lily says:

Gatsby’s always in season
    and it might drive the rainy cold weather away

or better yet
    while dancing at 80’s last night to ABC
    i noticed you could double as Martin Fry
    from the “Look of Love” video

yes he doesn’t have a shaved head like you do
    but he has a very Gatsby-esque outfit in the video

hope that helps

• cale Cale says:

Just pull the old JNCO’s out of the closet and go to Nouveau Riche, that’s what I’m doing. You have old JNCO’s right Michael?

• cale Cale says:

Look what you did, you little jerk!

• meg says:

supercute.
    wait for the brit pop stars!

• Pete Jackson says: