Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
Now onto this week:
- Monday, February 2 – It’s $2 Mondays at the Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse and they’re showing two Oscar-nominated films, “Big Hero 6” (Best Animated Feature) and “Boyhood” (Best Picture).
- Monday, February 2 – Are you a fan of Georgian culture and cinema (the country, not the state)? If so, the National Gallery of Art is running films tonight and throughout the week as part of their film program, Discovering Georgian Cinema. If not, well they’re free and you might learn something. Give it a try.
- Tuesday, February 3 – If you couldn’t make it Monday (because you were watching Georgian Cinema), don’t worry – the $2 movie deal extends for a second day at Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse, which is showing “Gone Girl” (nominated for Best Actress) tonight.
- Tuesday, February 3 – You could see Jupiter Ascending for free before it’s even released in theaters. Interested? All you have to do is be one of the first thirty people to claim the tickets at this link. Claim them fast, or you’ll be like this guy:
- Wednesday, February 4 – Catch a free screening of “Pride”, a British historical comedy-drama centered around LGBT rights, followed by a panel discussion at NPR’s main office (which is also really cool). Make sure to reserve tickets ahead of time, though, and get there early because seats are first-come, first-served.
- Thursday, February 5 – Heading to the movies with a friend? Today is the last day that Regal cinemas are offering a buy one get one free deal on tickets to “Birdman” (nominated for Best Picture).
- Friday, February 6 – Visit the Freer Sackler Gallery to catch a screening of “Fifi Howls From Happiness”, a movie about Bahman Mohassess (known as the ‘Persian Picasso’).
- Sunday, February 8 – Pucker up, the Irish are in town. The Capital Irish Film Festival is here and hosting a screening of “A Terrible Beauty” at the Goethe Institut.
- TRIVIA PRO TIP: for every night of the week – check out our updated version of the DC TRIVIA GUIDE
- Monday, February 2 – Celebrate Black History month with a tribute to musical great Ella Fitzgerald at the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage presented by Imani-Grace Cooper.
- Tuesday, February 3 – Can’t afford a ticket to any of the big shows this week? Sing away the blues at Gypsy Sally’s open mic night. With specials of $3 PBR and Miller Life cans and $5 shots of Jim Beam to get you warmed up, there’s no need to be nervous.
- Thursday, February 5 – The Ashley Daneman Band is in town and bringing a medley of jazz and modern folk to the Kennedy Millenium Stage.
- Thursday, February 5 – J’RON and Computer Club are DJing at District Dive tonight and it’s FREE!
- Friday, February 6 – The Loft Bar of the Hamilton is a prime spot to catch some free, live music and this week they’re hosting the Jamie McLean Band (of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band).
- Sunday, February 8 – Pop-up, bars? That’s right, the Passenger is back in the form of a pop-up at Bar 7 this weekend with drinks, live band karaoke and more. It’s one night only, so don’t miss out – it’s worth the hangover at work tomorrow.
Every Day: Roofers Union has a new ongoing happy hour. Every day 5-7 p.m. On top of drink specials: $3-5 food specials too.
- Monday, February 2 – GROUNDHOG SPECIAL – FREE pierogies when you make an OpenTable dinner res. for Groundhog Day (TODAY) at Second State.
- Monday, February 2 – Finding yourself near an Outback Steakhouse? Grab a FREE Bloomin’ Onion with any purchase at @Outback on Monday, 2/2. Just say “Free Bloom”
- Tuesday, February 3– TACOS ALL AROUND:
- Taco Tuesdays @ Smoke & Barrell – $5 for 3 Tacos + a side until 11p.m.. Every Tuesday.
- Taco Tuesdays @ El Centro DF – $2 Tacos – rotating selection of 3 of chef’s specials.
- Taco Tuesdays @ Johnny Pistolas. $2 Tacos. 8 different selections. ALL DAY LONG. (not just happy hour)
- Taco Tuesdays @ Impala Cantina. $2 pork tacos.
- Thursday, February 5 – February 5, get 3 FREE bagels at participating @Brueggers with an offer you can get here: m.facebook.com/Brueggers
- Tuesday, February 3 – Drunk yoga? What could possibly go wrong? Find out at Beer Yoga with the Port City Brewing Company. It’s free, but there’s only 40 spots, so sign up quickly!
- Saturday, February 7 – PRAVA Fest is here and you won’t want to miss it. It’s a one-night, winter art festival featuring artists from around the world and musical performances. There’s also a TON of other cool art happening around the District this month, so check out our guide to your best February.
- Saturday, February 7 – Wondering what to do now that football season is over? The DC Youth Slam Team Semi-Finals are this weekend, and it’s some cutthroat competition. Held in the Kogod Courtyard of the Portrait Gallery (which is gorgeous), the competition is elimination-style and the winners will earn a spot in the Grand Slam Finals. These kids are poets, and they know it.
- Sunday, February 8 – This is the last weekend to catch the Matisse Cut-Outs show at the MoMA – at literally any time. The exhibit opens at 10:30 a.m. and IS STAYING OPEN until Sunday at 5:30. It’s worth the road trip (and the $12) to live out your own night at the museum.
That’s all, remember – PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.