Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
Now onto this week:
- Wednesday, November 19th – If you’re near McLean, the Alden Theater at the McLean Community Center is screening Murder by Death for their “Midday Thrillers” series.
- Thursday, November 20th- The Museum of Natural History is hosting a screening of Once There Were Billions: Vanished Birds of North America in case you were wondering where all the birds went.
- Thursday, November 20th- “Can I Kick It?”, a martial arts film series, is back at Marvin for the 6th time, this time screening “Afro Samurai” and “Blade”. A DJ will concurrently spin music inspired by these films. There’s a lot going on here.
- Friday, November 21st – As part of the series “Also Like Life: The Films of Hou Hsaio-hsien”, the Freer Gallery of Art will be screening Hsaio-hsien’s Taiwanese love story Three Times.
- Sunday, November 23rd- The National Gallery of Art will present a Cine-Concert at the American Film Institute with composer Stephen Horne accompanying The Epic of Everest.
- Wednesday, November 19th – We’re hosting the Ranger Games at Laughing Man Tavern. You don’t have to buy anything (but you’ll probably want to).
- Wednesday, November 19th – Deine Mudda presents Das German Party at Döner Bistro. Head over for German electronic, rap, and rock music and bier specials.
- Thursday, November 20th- It’s reggae night at Uniontown Bar and Grill with no cover!
- Thursday, November 20th – Celebrate 1995 with no cover at Patty Boom Boom.
- Friday, November 21st – You, Me, Them, Everybody is having an 8×8 at Black Cat hosted by our very own Brandon Wetherbee. Tickets are $10 in advance. That’s not a lot of dollars.
- Friday, November 21st – The Pains of Being Pure at Heart are doing a free (!) DJ set at the W after their sold-out 9:30 show. RSVP in advance.
- Saturday, November 22nd – Do you prefer your Saturday night with a little more Death Rock? $7 gets you into Recessions for a night of DJs spinning #dark #goth jams.
- Saturday, November 22nd – $5 gets you into Gay/Bash at Black Cat. Severely Mame returns!
- Sunday, November 23rd – Sunday night is a great night for comedy. Grand Central in Adams Morgan is a great place Sunday night comedy.
- Thursday, November 20th – Free XO Creme Cognac tasting at Paul’s Wine and Spirits. What a great sentence.
- Until November 23rd- New York design house MM. Lafleur opened a pop-up shop at the District Architecture Center. Obviously clothes are not free. But you can look around for free.
- Thursday, November 20th- NPR is hosting All Crafts Considered, an arts and crafts sale featuring over 50 local vendors.
- Thursday, November 20th – Audio storytellers “From Block2Block” will be showcasing their latest work at the Goethe-Institut.
- Saturday, November 22nd – Learn to sketch and talk about sketching at the National Gallery of Art. Advanced registration required.
- Sunday, November 23rd- Jazz and art and free coffee? Jazz vocalist Integriti Reeves will be performing at the Smithsonian American Art Museum following an Art Talk.
- ALL YEAR AND POTENTIALLY FOREVER – Shakespeare Theatre Company will be offering 1,000 free tickets to EVERY MAIN STAGE SHOW. YEAH.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.