Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
Now onto this week:
- Tuesday, September 30th – The Library of Congress is holding a free film screening for Raid of the Rainbow Lounge. Go!
- Thursday, October 2nd through October 5th – The Goethe Institute is hosting the DC Palestinian Film and Arts festival.
- Friday, October 3rd – Playbackthetape is at (e)merge art festival showing two hours of short VHS tapes.
- Monday, September 29th – Santa Cruz-based band Sambada will play the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage.
- Monday, September 29th – La Bomba! stand-up comedy show starts at 7:30PM.
- Monday, September 29th – Nasta’liq’s exhibit “The Genius of Persian Calligraphy” will be open at the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Tuesday, September 30th – A Stand-Up Variety Show will take place at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, September 30th – There will be free comedy at Vendetta.
- Tuesday, September 30th – Gypsy Sally’s will be hosting an open mic
- Wednesday, October 1st – Let Press Play will be doing improv and storytelling at The Loft at 600.
- Wednesday, October 1st – Quiet Life, Field Report, and other bands curated by Communion Music will perform at Gypsy Sally’s.
- Wednesday, October 1st – Perfect Liars Club is at the Bier Baron. Can you spot who is telling the lie?
- Thursday, October 2nd – BENTZEN BALL FREE SHOW AT THE KENNEDY CENTER!
- Thursday, October 2nd – DJ and producer Tensnake will be at U Street Music Hall with Beautiful Swimmers.
- Thursday, October 2nd – Nu Soul Collective is hosting Soul Sippin’ DC. Their live performer will be Brian Christopher.
- Friday, October 3rd – Bentzen Ball Church Night! Performances from Myq Kaplan, Katie McVay, Pria Puss, and Alyssa Cowan.
- Sunday, October 5th – Animal Collective DJ set at U Street Music Hall with Geologist and Deakin.
- Monday, September 29th – Legal Sea Foods is hosting its sixth annual Oyster Festival.
- Friday, October 3rd – Paul’s Wine and Spirits is hosting a free wine tasting.
- Saturday, October 4th – Shake Shack Tyson’s Corner wants to see how good at ping pong you are. They are hosting their first Table Tennis League competition at 3 this Saturday. Winners will get a $50 gift card, a trophy, and bragging rights.
- Tuesday, September 30th – Donal Ryan will be discussing his new novel, “The Thing About December” at Busboys and Poets.
- Tuesday, September 30th – Tony Small will perform “Selections From Qadar: An Operetta For Children.”
- Tuesday, September 30th – Tech In Motion DC will have their first “Fireside Chat” at Artisphere.
- Tuesday, September 30th – Carolyn Hax will speak about health, genetics and dealing with illness at the National Museum of Natural History.
- Wednesday, October 1st – L.A. artist Zox will have a one day pop-up at Hill & Dale Records.
- Thursday, October 2nd – Steven Johnson, host of “How We Got to Now” will be at the Artisphere to screen his show and talk about innovation.
- Sunday, October 5th– Washington Performing Arts is hosting their third annual Fall Arts Fair. There will be an instrument petting zoo.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.