Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Tuesday, May 27th – You can catch a $2 screening of “Muppets Most Wanted,” “Draft Day” and/or “Noah” over at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Wednesday, May 28th – THEN head to NoMA Summer Screen’s first outdoor movie of the season–“Back to the Future.”
- Wednesday, May 28th – And The Bicycle Space turns into a “ride-in” movie spot for “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure” tonight.
- Tuesday, May 27th – Head to Hill Country Live for some free Americana, compliments of Brian Ashley Jones and High Viscosity.
- Tuesday, May 27th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, May 27th – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, May 27th – And if you want to grab the mic or check out some local talent, Gypsy Sally’s is hosting a free open mic night with drink specials.
- Tuesday, May 27th – The Brixton’s got its own comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, May 27th – More laughs? Head to Vendetta for their underground comedy night.
- Tuesday, May 27th – AND you can catch the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir at The Kennedy Center.
- Wednesday, May 28th – Over at Wonderland Ballroom tonight you’ll find some of D.C.’s best burlesque and side show talent at The Wonderland Circus.
- Wednesday, May 28th – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, May 28th – And you can git dancin’ at DAS GERMAN party over at Doner Bistro…
- Wednesday, May 28th – …OR at Little Miss Whiskey’s Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
- Wednesday, May 28th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, May 28th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, May 28th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, May 29th – And if you’re headin’ out toward Bethesda you can catch a free Flo Anito show as part of a free summer concert series.
- Thursday, May 29th – Over at Marvin you’ll find a free spring DJ party so git dancin’…
- Thursday, May 29th – …Or at Hill Country Live you can catch Citizens Band Radio.
- Thursday, May 29th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, May 30th – Then head on over to Hill Country’s Backyard Barbecue for a free outdoor show, this time by New York Funk Exchange.
- Friday, May 30th – OR get classy with a free show by the Kennedy Center House Orchestra.
- Friday, May 30th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Saturday, May 31st – THEN be sure to hit up Tour de Fat at Yards Park for epic biking and boozing and partying.
- Saturday, May 31st – AND there’s another free outdoor Hillyard Backyard BBQ show. Stop by for BBQ and free music from Graham Wilkinson.
- Tuesday, May 27th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, May 27th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F.
- Friday, May 30th – Then drink outdoors with your dog and your dawgs at Yappy Hour in Arlington.
- Saturday, May 31st – And it’s time for another Petworth Community Market full of local goods and produce.
- Wednesday, May 28th – There’s a free panel discussion on Estonian composer Arvo Pärt at The Kennedy Center tonight.
- Thursday, May 29th – And oh hey, bookworms. It’s the first ever meeting of a ZOMBIE BOOK CLUB, which of course sounds great to us.
- Saturday, May 31st – Then check out a pay-what-you-can performance of WSC Avant Bard’s NERO/PSEUDO rock opera, mmk?
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Tuesday, May 27th – Get into some GLO bocce on Capitol Hill tonight. Glow-in-the-dark bocce. Seriously.
- Wednesday, May 28th – And THEN there’s GLO Bocce in Arlington!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.