Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, May 19th – Catch free movie screenings with Movie Mondays at Dodge City at 8:00pm!
- Monday, May 19th – For $2 you can catch screenings of “The Lego Movie” and “Muppets Most Wanted” and “The Monuments Men” over at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Tuesday, May 20th – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “The Monuments Men,” “Non-Stop” and a “Frozen” sing-a-long.
- Tuesday, May 20th – Or head to WDCJCC for a free screening of “Unorthodox.”
- Tuesday, May 20th – Catch a free screening of “UP” at Adam’s Morgan’s free outdoor movie night. (Full DMV-area outdoor movie guide here.)
- Friday, May 23rd – Tonight maybe check out Golden Cinema’s screening of “National Treasure: Book of Secrets”?
- Friday, May 23rd – Or maybe “The Little Rascals” at Mosaic District?
- Monday, May 19th – It’s Heavy Metal Monday at Satellite Room. It’s heavy metal everyday if you’re doing it right.
- Tuesday, May 20th – Catch the NSO youth fellows giving a free performance at The Kennedy Center…
- Tuesday, May 20th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, May 20th – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, May 20th – And if you want to grab the mic or check out some local talent, Gypsy Sally’s is hosting a free open mic night with drink specials.
- Tuesday, May 20th – The Brixton’s got its own comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, May 20th – More laughs? Head to Vendetta for their underground comedy night.
- Wednesday, May 21st – Want MORE laughs? Over at Wonderland Ballroom tonight you’ll find some of D.C.’s best stand-up comedians doin’ their comedy thang.
- Wednesday, May 21st – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, May 21st – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, May 21st – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, May 21st – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, May 22nd – And because Hill Country Backyard Barbecue is back in action, you can head to the lawn of the National Building Museum for a free show by Miz, and BBQ + drinks for purchase.
- Thursday, May 22nd – And if you’re headin’ out toward Bethesda you can catch a free Squeeze Bayou show as part of a free summer concert series.
- Thursday, May 22nd – Staying in town? Catch a free flamenco performance at The Kennedy Center. Olé, etc.
- Thursday, May 22nd – No? What about The Kennedy Center’s free performance by jazz pianist Chris Botti?
- Thursday, May 22nd – Over at Marvin you’ll find a free spring DJ party so git dancin’…
- Thursday, May 22nd – …Or at Hill Country Live you can catch The Slim Kings ft. an ex-member of Billy Joel’s band, so that is a thing.
- Thursday, May 22nd – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, May 23rd – Then head on back to Hill Country’s Backyard Barbecue for another free outdoor show, this time by The Weathervanes.
- Friday, May 23rd – OR get dancin’ at GLITTHER, Zeba Bar’s LGBTQ monthly dance party.
- Friday, May 23rd – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Friday, May 23rd – And there’s a free KICKS! DJ night at Black Cat Backstage for all yer dancin’ needs.
- Saturday, May 24th – And throw on one more Hill Country Backyard Barbecue show for good measure–Daniella Cotton plays the lawn tonight.
- Saturday, May 24th – Over at Hill Country Live you’ll find BYT friend and all-around good guy Jonny Grave playing a free show, too.
- Tuesday, May 20th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, May 20th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, May 21st – There’s a Thrive DC happy hour over at Vinoteca complete with discounted food and drink AND bocce AND raffles AND good causes.
- Wednesday, May 21st – AND there’s a speed networking happy hour over at Bracket Room so you can rub elbows and be enterprising while eating and drinking on the cheap.
- Thursday, May 22nd – Then on Thursday there’s a job hunt happy hour over at The Big Hunt. BONUS: The first 300 RSVPs get you a free drink and some business cards. Sweeeet.
- Friday, May 23rd – Then drink outdoors with your dog and your dawgs at Yappy Hour in Arlington.
- Monday, May 19th – There’s a Shakespeare-themed trivia night over at The Brixton.
- Wednesday, May 21st – And oh hey, bookworms. There’s a Books & Bars book club/discussion with DC Public Library librarians and cheap drinks tonight.
- Thursday, May 22nd – And there’s ANOTHER book club meeting this week. For the TwentyThirtySomething Book Club, head to Breadsoda.
- Thursday, May 22nd – Into beer? (Sure you are.) Head to New Belgium’s BIKES, BEER & BEMUSEMENT at Dupont Circle for a Tour de Fat pre-party.
- Thursday, May 22nd – Swing by The Arts Walk at Monroe Street Market for some art and windowshopping and a jazzy performance by The Freddie Dunn Quartet.
- Thursday, May 22nd – And tonight’s the night for the opening reception of World-A-Reggae’s international reggae poster exhibition. Ja mon.
- Saturday, May 24th – Then check out a pay-what-you-can performance of WSC Avant Bard’s NERO/PSEUDO rock opera, mmk?
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Tuesday, May 20th – Get away from the desk and take an Om yoga lunch break at Georgetown Library. RSVP info right over hurr.
- Wednesday, May 21st – And get into some GLO bocce in Arlington tonight. Glow-in-the-dark bocce. Seriously.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.