Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, May 12th – Catch free movie screenings with Movie Mondays at Dodge City at 8:00pm!
- Monday, May 12th – For $2 you can catch screenings of “The Lego Movie” and “Non-Stop over at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse. Have you seen “The Lego Move” yet? NOW IS YOUR CHANCE. (If you answered “yes,” RELIVE THE MEMORIES.)
- Monday, May 12th – You can also catch a free screening of the new Israeli series Shitsel over at the Washington, DC JCC.
- Tuesday, May 13th – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “The Monuments Men,” “Non-Stop” and another “Frozen” sing-a-long.
- Sunday, May 18th – Stop by the Smithsonian American Art Museum for live piano accompaniment to “Ben Hurr” for an ultimately classy afternoon.
- Monday, May 12th – It’s Heavy Metal Monday at Satellite Room. It’s heavy metal everyday if you’re doing it right.
- Monday, May 12th – There’s a free blues show over at Hill Country tonight thanks to David Jacobs-Strain and his gee-tar.
- Monday, May 12th – Want more free? Check out a classy jazz performance by Dimitrije Vasiljevic at The Kennedy Center.
- Monday, May 12th – Or get dancing with a free Electric Punanny show over at Le Bain.
- Tuesday, May 13th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, May 13th – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, May 13th – And if you want to grab the mic or check out some local talent, Gypsy Sally’s is hosting a free open mic night with drink specials.
- Tuesday, May 13th – The Brixton’s got its own comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, May 13th – More laughs? Head to Vendetta for their underground comedy night.
- Tuesday, May 13th – And you can get classy and jazzy and enjoy some Buddhist-chant-inspired music with Lara Bello over at The Kennedy Center.
- Wednesday, May 14th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, May 14th – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, May 14th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, May 14th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, May 14th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Wednesday, May 14th – And there’s dancing over at Doner Bistro’s DAS GERMAN party.
- Wednesday, May 14th – Keep the dancing going with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang over at Little Miss Whiskey’s, then maybe rest up for tomorrow, OK?
- Thursday, May 15th – And then keep dancing with your friends at BYT, Listen Local First and Washingtonian at another Super Best Friends Forever at Cafe Caint Ex.
- Thursday, May 15th – Plus, HILL COUNTRY’S BACKYARD BARBECUE is back in action. Head to the lawn of the National Building Museum for a free show by Tom McBride andThe Red Creek Wranglers, and BBQ + drinks for purchase.
- Thursday, May 15th – And you can catch live music and pop-up art at Smithsonian American Art Museum’s Take 5!
- Thursday, May 15th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Thursday, May 15th – No? Feel like dancin’? Try Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live.
- Friday, May 16th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Friday, May 16th – It’s time for another Luce Unplugged Showcase with live music at Smithsonian’s American Art Museum.
- Friday, May 16th – Dance your way through Friday night at the Jimmy Valentine’s Tropic of Bass DJ night.
- Friday, May 16th – And then get your free late-night live music on at The Hamilton with 19th Street Band.
- Monday, May 12th – Get your drink on with $5 celebratory cocktails over at Beuchert’s Saloon and your cocktail proceeds benefit THEARC. All good things.
- Monday, May 12th – PLUS you can get smarter and learn more about GMOs and what you’re ingesting on a daily basis with a free lecture.
- Tuesday, May 13th – And there’s another charity happy hour, this time over at Public Bar in Dupont. BONUS: rooftop.
- Tuesday, May 13th – And over at Capitol Riverfront you’ll find New Belgium’s Bikes, Beer & Bemusement tap takeovers, trivia, giveaways and all that good stuff.
- Tuesday, May 13th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, May 13th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, May 14th – And there’s ANOTHER fundraiser happy hour; this one’s hosted by COEXIST and it’s over at Virtue Feed & Grain so go get yr drink on for a good cause.
- Saturday, May 16th – And you can get yourself a happy hour with D.C.’s up-and-coming menswear brands at The Huxley.
- Now – Sunday, May 18th – Oh hey, it’s time for another NEXT exhibition at Corcoran. Check out the next wave of artistic talent, mmk?
- Monday, May 12th – Speaking of theatre, there’s a Shakespeare-themed trivia night over at The Brixton.
- Wednesday, May 14th – And if you head over to The Kennedy Center you’ll find a preview of the highlights in Washington National Opera’s new season.
- Thursday, May 15th – Swing by The Kennedy Center again for a preview of Synetic Theatre’s “The Music Box.”
- Saturday, May 17th – Oh hey, did you know it’s time for the Gaithersburg Book Festival? Well it is, so get you some reading materials.
- Saturday, May 17th – …And that it’s the night of Float’s opening reception at Transformer Gallery?
- Sunday, May 18th – Ad THEN if you head to Marvin, you’ll get an afternoon of great local shopping and vintage finds at the DC Flea.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Tuesday, May 13th – And there’s free GLO bocce on the Hill tonight with light-up bocce balls. Sounds pretty sweet.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.