Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, April 28th – Catch free movie screenings with Movie Mondays at Dodge City at 8:00pm!
- Monday, April 28th – Kick up your movie game with $2 screenings of a “Frozen” sing-a-long, “The Monuments Men,” and “300: Rise of an Empire” at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse!
- Tuesday, April 29th – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “Lone Survivor,” “Inside Llewyn Davis” and another “Frozen” sing-a-long.
- Tuesday, April 29th – And then you can get real weird with home-edited mashups of memorable cliffhangers taped from 1990s television. This happens thanks to Playback the Tape at Comet Ping Pong and should be a laugh.
- Friday, May 2nd – AND Union Market’s drive-in is back and this week you can catch a screening of “Diner.”
- Monday, April 28th – It’s Heavy Metal Monday at Satellite Room. It’s heavy metal everyday if you’re doing it right.
- Monday, April 28th – And you can catch a free Bonnie Bishop show over at Hill Country Live!
- Monday, April 28th – There’s a goodbye party at/for The Dunes tonight. It isn’t free (it’s $5) but c’mon and say farewell.
- Tuesday, April 29th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, April 29th – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, April 29th – And if you want to grab the mic or check out some local talent, Gypsy Sally’s is hosting a free open mic night with drink specials.
- Tuesday, April 29th – The Brixton’s got its own comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, April 29th – More laughs? Head to Vendetta for their underground comedy night.
- Tuesday, April 29th – And you can get classy with Adrian Anantawan and Vincent Chi Kwan Cheung over at The Kennedy Center.
- Wednesday, April 30th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, April 30th – ANNNNND you can network while you shop Goodwill’s vintage trunk offerings for not too much $$$. RSVP info + more over here.
- Wednesday, April 30th – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, April 30th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, April 30th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, April 30th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Wednesday, April 30th – And there’s dancing over at Doner Bistro’s DAS GERMAN party. BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE. In celebration of May they’re throwing Maifest tonight, too, complete with DJs and specials.
- Wednesday, April 30th – Keep the dancing going with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang over at Little Miss Whiskey’s, then maybe rest up for tomorrow, OK?
- Thursday, May 1st – …Unless you just camp out at Whiskey’s which we support because on Thursday’s it’s time for Club 90, their ’90s industrial vs techno night.
- Thursday, May 1st – Plus, IT’S HILL COUNTRY’S BACKYARD BARBECUE OPENING DAY! Head to the lawn of the National Building Museum for a free show by The Floorboards and BBQ + drinks for purchase.
- Thursday, May 1st – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Thursday, May 1st – No? Feel like dancin’? Try Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live.
- Friday, May 2nd – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Friday, May 2nd – And you can head on back to Hill Country’s Backyard Barbecue for a free show by Swampcandy.
- Friday, May 2nd – And if you’re looking for a live show tonight, Hill Country’s got more live music with Mama Dear and Sinners & Saints over at Hill Country Live.
- Saturday, May 3rd – THE RUNNING OF THE CHIHUAHAS. THE RUNNING OF THE CHICHUAHUAS. THE RUNNING OF THE CHIHUAHUAS. Just. Yes. So much magic.
- Saturday, May 3rd – And it’s time to laze around your Saturday afternoon with local vendors and music at another DC Meet market in Dupont.
- Saturday, May 3rd – AND there’s a one-day-only outdoor Greek market at Jose Andres’s Zaytinya. Check out the Agora.
- Saturday, May 3rd – AND THEN there’s both the U Street Funk Parade Day Fair from noon to 5:00pm (featuring performances, vendors, food and art, workshops and spontaneous acts of soul) AND The Mighty Funk Parade from 5:00pm to 7:00pm (featuring marching bands, dancers and moreeee).
- Tuesday, April 29th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, April 29th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Thursday, May 1st – And THEN head to Paul’s Wine & Spirits for complimentary tequila tasting. Yes, yes, yes.
- Friday, May 2nd – AND all your pet-loving dreams come true today because YAPPY HOUR at Le Meridien means there’s a dog-friendly happy hour. What? Yes.
- Now – Sunday, May 18th – Oh hey, it’s time for another NEXT exhibition at Corcoran. Check out the next wave of artistic talent, mmk?
- Monday, April 28th – Speaking of theatre, there’s a Shakespeare-themed trivia night over at The Brixton.
- Monday, April 28th – And there’s a free panel on organization for artists over at Transformer. Handy!
- Thursday, May 1st – Then swing by Kafe Bohem for the opening of their new show, #ITSBOHEMIAN.
- Friday, May 2nd and Sunday, May 4th – In the mood for some theatre? Head to Fort Fringe for a pay-what-you-can performance of WSC Avant Bard’s new rock opera, “Nero/Pseudo.”
- Saturday, May 3rd – IT’S FREE COMIC BOOK DAY. GET YOU SOME COMICS.
- Saturday, May 3rd – And there’s a meet and greet with the cast of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” no tickets required.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Tuesday, April 29th – VIDA Fitness instructors will lead free workout classes each Tuesday throughout April at The Park at City Center. Obviously this is a score.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.